SAU Community

Ceramic Stockies

Hi all, I have read thru this entire thread and it has some excellent content. Excellent work guys and thorough research. From the above I too have developed a question and that is:

"How do 1995 R33 GTR stocko's compare?"

They are a smaller turbine and hence should, as stated, cope with slightly higher (raised) rpm's than say, a GTST turbine of the same year.

I currently run a 3 inch system, although only from the CAT back (with hi-flow 3" cat). I have also taken out the restrictor after extensive discussions on here saying that it's OK to do so. A combination of the higher flowing exhaust and removal of restrictor have raised the boost up to around 13.5 to 14 pounds.

I always let engine warm up and warm down (with turbo timer) as I'm aware that it does a world of good for engine and turbos. So, in other words I'm giving the turbos time to cool down and contract SLOWLY which should somewhat make life easier on them.

However, what does concern me is track days. I've had one on stock boost, but my next one will be with the higher boost level. Will the smaller GTR stockies put up with extended thrashings? The track is Queensland Raceway, so for those who know it has the front long straight while the rest of it is a series of small squirts from corner to corner where your brakes and tires experience more wear than anything else haha!

Any advice would be much appreciated guys - thanks!!

Tom

i think and most would probably agree its suicide at 14psi on stock GTR turbos on a race track

youll last two laps id expect before the wheels fail then youll risk the motor too

if i was to track my GTST with stock turbo id run 10psi , i wouldnt trust 12psi on a track

so for GTR 14psi is suicide, i would try around 11psi at the most and see if its safe

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Mine let go turning right at an intersection, coming onto boost (doubt it would get to 12psi in first gear at all, but it let go at about 5000rpm tops), so maybe 5psi??? R33 S2 Turbo on RB20det.

What about high temps + change in angular/rotational velocity? Shaft speed wouldn't have been high on mine.

Fixxxer

i think and most would probably agree its suicide at 14psi on stock GTR turbos on a race track

youll last two laps id expect before the wheels fail then youll risk the motor too

Hmm ok. Well, there seams to be a lot of people on various SAU threads who say it's ok, and then there are also the same number of people who say no. But, we do have one critical factor in this thread and that is that it's 14 pounds on the track. Now, for those of us who've taken our skylines (be it GTR or GTST) out on to the track all know that there's a big difference between flying around a circuit and giving it a little squirt on the highway or wherever.

1 warm up lap, 5 hot laps and then a cool down lap of hell! It really tests the cars that's for sure.

So you reckon I'd be better of sticking the boost restrictor bung back in just to be on the safe side? With the bung in there the GTR was running somewhere between 10.5 and 11 pounds stock standard.

I got a guy at work who wants some GTR stockies to bolt onto his L28 engine (Nissan 260Z) so I might just take it easy with these and instead by an upgrade turbo package. Aparantly there are a couple of good deals out there....or perhaps go for a set of N1's?

Paulr33....might have to discard that 1 Bar rule for Skylines when it comes to track work???

Would anyone know the result if I were to get a R33 series 2 turbs, replace the ceramic wheel with steel, then put it on my RB20...? Would the extra lag with the steel wheel be that noticable? Worth doing?

Guys, I've posted up a fresh post about my queries here. Paulr33, you're most likely right there but I just want to get some input from other GTR owners and hopefully get some ideas on what turbos to maybe upgrade too. I'm fearing that my GTR stockos are just no good for track use hey - how g*y is that!!!!!

Here's the link to new thread - it should get some hits very soon hopefully

http://www.skylinesaustralia.com/forums/R3...im-t228630.html