SAU Community

Invite: HCC Track Day / Minisprint - 17 May 2003

typerlc

Don't worry about the race suit Ben. All you need is non-flammable, non-synthetic clothing. I usually wear a pair of jeans (cotton) and a cotton long-sleeved shirt.

As for the shoes I wear a pair of suede joggers and I haven't been knocked back yet. Just make sure that neither the uppers or soles are nylon and you should be OK. A great set of driving shoes are Dunlop Volleys. Non-flammable, nice thin sole for great pedal feel and SOOOOOOOOO STYLISH!

As for licenses you can go for the $30 Wakefield Clubcomp license which covers just about anything you'll want to do at Wakefield, or a CAMS L2S license is $91 and will let you do track days, motorkhanas and supersprints pretty much anywhere in Australia.

Hope this helps.

Cheers,

Ben

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

GM's correct ... jeans & cotton business shirt are perfect. Leather shoes (business shoes) are good. But alternatives will be accepted.

We are actually going to relax the bonnet tie-down requirement, but it is still recommended that you use one.

As for the extinguisher, you really don't need one. If you want to install one, then the simplest idea is to make a bracket that sits between the passenger seat rails i.e. use the bolts on the seat rails to secure the exting bracket. This is simple to do if you have the right tools (usually welding required) and can easily be done for a small fee at a fabrication shop ... sorry, I don't have any particular place in mind. The other good thing is that it doesn't require you to drill holes or otherwise damage your car and can be removed without trace.

benm: did you get scared off by the Word docs? It's a serious question because normally a simple track day doesn't have these sorts of docs. It is intentionally based on a standard CAMS supersprint format. The idea was to make people that had already been on the track more familiar (and hopefully comfortable) with the idea of taking that next step ... into a competition supersprint. We are a little worried that it might scare people away if they aren't interested in the competition thing. Of course I want to stress that this track day is *not* a competition, rather more like a rehearsal.

At this stage, we have very few entrants that have pre-registered. About 15 I think. Since we require around 40 people to break even, we are going to make a big loss. Thankfully the club (HCC NSW) has enough in the bank to cover the day with the current entry levels. So we will not be cancelling now. But it would still be appreciated if people intending on coming at least let us know. We expect to get quite a few people turning up on the day, but it still stresses me out :)

If you are free on the day benm, at least come down. By mid-morning you'll be kicking yourself for not entering. So if your car is in decent condition, just do it! :burnout:

Can't make this one, but it would be good to see a stong turnout, I've been to 3 or 4 of these HCC days at Wakefield and they are excellent.

If you do take a tie down, it doesn't have to be too high tech, I just used a piece of rope last time.

As for the extinguisher, I fitted one using the moutning bolt for the back seat (passenger side against the back wall). Plenty of room, can reach if ever needed, and easy to remove.

Originally posted by typerlc

benm: did you get scared off by the Word docs?  It's a serious question because normally a simple track day doesn't have these sorts of docs.  It is intentionally based on a standard CAMS supersprint format.

Nah not scared off but I was like "woah didnt realise attending a trackday was so professional and involved.

We are a little worried that it might scare people away if they aren't interested in the competition thing.  Of course I want to stress that this track day is *not* a competition, rather more like a rehearsal.

I like the idea of the competition thats what got me reading in the first place. No point going down the 1/4 mile or dyno days unless you are competing (even if its against your own pb)

At this stage, we have very few entrants that have pre-registered.  About 15 I think.  Since we require around 40 people to break even, we are going to make a big loss.

I think as the day gets closer alot more will decide to signup (even though its only 10-ish days away).

We expect to get quite a few people turning up on the day, but it still stresses me out :)

As with any of the SAU events.... They either show up on the day unannouced or dont notify anyone that they wont be showing up.

If you are free on the day benm, at least come down.

I am free and it would be an interesting day (even with the 5hr round-trip).

By mid-morning you'll be kicking yourself for not entering.

Sounds like the SAU Drift Day held at Eastern Creek not long ago, after 30mins of watching I was edging to get out there myself.

So if your car is in decent condition, just do it!

Its in great mechanical condition, I just wouldnt mind a lower seat (my head touches the roof now and then with just everyday driving let alone with a helmet on. I also wouldnt mind new tyres and upgraded rotors (all of which cost money). But on the other hand having a track day might kill my current tyres (a good thing) forcing me to buy a set of FM901's.

* What is tyre wear like on a typical track day like this with just steady hard driving (not deliberately throwing it sideways or anything).

* Brake wear for Wakefield? (Standard R33 Rotors and Bendix Pads).

* Im guessing things like subwoofers and stuff must be removed ? Also anything loose in the cabin must be removed? (Would that include things in glovebox, center console etc?) incase of accident...

would be a good warmup for the dyno day on the next day too

:bahaha:

Originally posted by benm

* What is tyre wear like on a typical track day like this with just steady hard driving (not deliberately throwing it sideways or anything).

* Brake wear for Wakefield? (Standard R33 Rotors and Bendix Pads).

* Im guessing things like subwoofers and stuff must be removed ? Also anything loose in the cabin must be removed? (Would that include things in glovebox, center console etc?) incase of accident...

would be a good warmup for the dyno day on the next day too  

:bahaha:

1) normal tyres can get hurt by a track day, especially if its hot (they can overheat and melt/grain). But of course that depends if you're giving it 110% all day! Plenty of the SAU guys use regular road tyres on the track, only fatz seems to be able to kill them in one day! Should be fine for a few track days on 1 set of tyres

2) make sure you've got more than 50% pad, they will wear much quicker - and you can't get new pads in golbourn (yes, I have had to try....) If so, you'll be fine

3) Anything lose has to be removed, but is your subwoofer loose?

One of the best things about skylines is their on-track performance, and their reliability while doing it. I've taken my stocker to about 15 days in 12 months and its only ever need brakes, tyres and 1 clutch. And in all those days, I've only seen 2 skylines retire with a serious problem.

As far as the tyres are concerned the really important thing is to keep a close eye on your pressures. You'll kill them in no time if they are too low. I usually go out with about 38 psi cold which goes to around 42 hot (although the front left gets bigger pressure change than the rest). After the first session I set all tyres to 42 before they cool. Check that they are all about 42 psi after the 2nd session and they should be pretty much spot on for the rest of the day.

Another fairly common mistake that I have been guilty of is to run too long on street tyres. The small tread blocks on street tyres squirm a lot under hard loads causing the rubber to get very hot and the wear rate goes through the roof. Most regular street tyres will handle about 3 hard laps before they start turning into marshmallows.

The bigger the tread blocks the less they will squirm and the more laps you can do before they turn to sh1t. This is why tyres like FM901's and Falken RealSports work so well on the track even though they are a regular (almost) street rubber compound.

As for brakes I usually take a spare set of rotors (never needed them though) and a spare set of front pads. I've gone through 1 nearly new set of Ultimates in 1 day at Wakefield.

Just be sure that when you finish a session don't come straight off the track and park your car. This will hot spot your rotors and they could crack. Just putt around the pits for about 5 mins to allow them to cool evenly and you should have no problemo.

Hope this helps.

Cheers,

Ben

It appears that I might need an engine rebuild... am going to get a second opinion first... but if this is the case I will only be spectating and if the honda guys don't mind I'll get out there and give a few pointers on how I try to do it.

Other wise I'll just sit in the spectator area and drink tinies untill my lift is ready to take me to where ever the take me!!!

Dan.

typerlc,

i've filled out the entry form and got the money but don't have check or money order (i know i can get em @ bank and post office :D ) but seeing as i live like 30seconds drive from the address that we are meant to mail our entry form + fee, can i just drop by and hand em in person?? :D

Originally posted by nissaner

typerlc,  

i've filled out the entry form and got the money but don't have check or money order (i know i can get em @ bank and post office :D ) but seeing as i live like 30seconds drive from the address that we are meant to mail our entry form + fee, can i just drop by and hand em in person?? :D

No problem with that. I suggest calling Adrian (whose address is on the form) before going there. I'll also let him know to expect your call. His numbers are: (02) 9487 3729 & 0417 411 006

Thanks,

Richard

hang on ... this doesn't look good (to me at least..) http://au.weather.yahoo.com/ASXX/ASXX0023/index_c.html its gonna be raining for the rest of this week according to the weather report..

i was gonna take my deposit to adrian today but its raining so hard and i am scared to go out atm... ( :D )

if its gonna rain on saturday i might have to pull out from this fabulous track day... :) (i don't think even attessa is going to make up for my bad driving... :( )

hang on ... this doesn't look good (to me at least..) http://au.weather.yahoo.com/ASXX/ASXX0023/index_c.html its gonna be raining for the rest of this week according to the weather report..

i was gonna take my deposit to adrian today but its raining so hard and i am scared to go out atm... ( :) )  

if its gonna rain on saturday i might have to pull out from this fabulous track day... :)  (i don't think even attessa is going to make up for my bad driving... :) )

Rain or no rain, we'll be going ahead.

If it's raining, then you'll at least get some practice of handling your car at the limit in the rain. Hopefully you learn your car & tyre limits in the rain *before* you need it on the road. ;)

Given the ability of forecasters to predict weather, I prefer them to predict it will be raining. :D

if its gonna rain on saturday i might have to pull out from this fabulous track day... :)  (i don't think even attessa is going to make up for my bad driving... :) )

nissaner I highly recommend you go if it's raining. :uh-huh: It's sooooooooo many times safer to be on a track than on the road, particularly Wakefield. This track has been designed to minimise the chance of damage if you have an off.

Another point is that's it's crazy fun to be out there in the wet. :D

In fact if it's raining I'll probably attend.....