SAU Community

280rwkw, Stock Turbos Stock Boost

But i dont get it, there are two pairs of lines. Is one pre exhaust etc, one post?

Cool, can i ask which 15 years were you at Gibson? ie which era? I need a bit of info on a few of the cars that were built in the Grp A days

Roy, the bottom set are when the powerfc and boost controller were fitted and no tuning, just the base map that is already programmed. The exhaust was fitted prior to the dyno.

P.S I dont know how I have become the Gibson mechanic this belongs to others thrashing out their differences on previous threads.

I am am not a mechanic I know nothing

Edited by sparkmanv11

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Roy, the bottom set are when the powerfc and boost controller were fitted and no tuning, just the base map that is already programmed. The exhaust was fitted prior to the dyno.

P.S I dont know how I have become the Gibson mechanic this belongs to others thrashing out their differences on previous threads.

I am am not a mechanic I know nothing

You are not the Gibson mechanic dude... its started because of this

yeh this dyno that dyno. f**k is there a normal dyno reading other than yours

r31nismoid is a toss he knows all!!!!

Basically someone who eseentially knows nothing, who then said

mechanic for 25 years 15 of them with gibson motorsport and so yeh i might know more ya toss

And then came out with this pearler

who gives a f**k about boost level rwk is all that matters.

I mean, you'd think Fred and the team @ Gibson Motorsport would have trained thier people correctly.

They must have, they were very successful afterall.

From the posts from our resident "Gibson mechanic of 15years"... i'd say the training was nothing more than poor based on his utterly ill informed responses. Either than or our "Gibson mechanic" just turned spanners and has no real understanding much apart from a 12" to a 14" spanner

End of the day, all i said was 280rwkw on stock turbos, stock boost level is totally unfeasible.

I was told that i was wrong, and i most certainly was not as proven by every post subsequent.

I feel for you that you've been given a horridly bad dyno reading. I would say a variance of 20rwkw is ok... but this goes well beyond 20rwkw, and the people that have given you this result are in my opinion, of poor workmanship to give you such a false and unrealistic result.

cheers.

What a load of shit...

Even my fish know that any dyno can be made to give a 'desired' result. Dyno settings can be changed as well as the amount of power that a dyno is given (A performance shop in Hornsby, NSW used to share the same power box as the carpenter upstairs... lets just say that when the bloke upstairs was on his bandsaw, the performance shop's clients weren't impressed with their figures...)

My GTR made 250-something at the rears with stock turbo's, 1.1 bar, cam gears, fuel pressure reg and full exhaust (actually, stock dumps).

I dont give a crap about how many years experience you have, if you don't know the physics of dyno's and how to calibrate them correctly, then readings will be off. Thats not to say that you are bad at tuning, cause thats a different kettle of fish.

C

i agree

wen i got my mods done, and had it tuned the dyno read 223rwkw :D i scratched my head and said, errrr 17psi GT30R, all supporting mods, and only 223rwkw WTF, then i drove it and said this aint 223rwkw... so yeh dyno's need to be calibrated correctly, the next 2 places i took it both read 261rwkw which was a much better and realistic reading... in the end it dont matter, as long as u are happy with it, just line up another car with the same power and see who wins :laugh:

my 2 cents

Race track is the true dyno, MPH tells the story. dyno is just a before and after tuning tool, dyno jumping to achieve increased figures is for wankers, and too many factors can effect readings from one day to another.

you know if your car is making the power when you recieve a good ET at decent MPH. eg Adrians skyline made 265rwkw at unique and runs 119mph. Beery's made 285rwkw on same dyno on same day and runs 123mph.

So it is quite possible these readings are what got spat out of the dyno at the time, but you will soon see how accurate they were when you run the car.

also the only i way i believe in comparing ur car before and after mods, is to take it to the same dyno and see wat reading u get after your mods
Edited by BezerkR32

BezerkR32, the MPH is not exactly a 100% foolproof measure either. Things that are not power related can make a difference to your MPH, yet not increase your power output by a single HP. Things like suspension, tyres, weight, drag, gearing (gearbox and diff).

Race track is the true dyno, MPH tells the story. dyno is just a before and after tuning tool, dyno jumping to achieve increased figures is for wankers, and too many factors can effect readings from one day to another.

you know if your car is making the power when you recieve a good ET at decent MPH. eg Adrians skyline made 265rwkw at unique and runs 119mph. Beery's made 285rwkw on same dyno on same day and runs 123mph.

So it is quite possible these readings are what got spat out of the dyno at the time, but you will soon see how accurate they were when you run the car.

Hi all,

just to add some more credence to the comment above about MPH , there was a good article on Autospeed several years back, which did mathematical regression using published data for a range of cars to indicate that power to weight was a good indicator of performance (rather than power to torque) and that speed at the end of the quarter was better than ET. (performance indicators)

"So it can be seen that torque/weight is a very bad performance indicator, and power/weight is actually very good.

Given the R2 values, it can furthermore be seen that the best single indicator of performance in a pub brag is the speed at the end of the quarter. Other figures, particularly the 0-100 time, are very dependent on launch technique and gearing (for example, the Falcon XR6 does not have a great 0-100 time due to the necessity to have a shift from 2nd to 3rd gears prior to completion of the run). The finishing speeds at the end of the quarter, however, are remarkably tolerant of things like bad shifts and bad launches. The quarter time, although a little more forgiving than the 0-100 time, is still not as "idiot proof" as the speed at the end of the quarter."

Of course dynos do show the area under the curve which will give a good idea of the street driveability of any car.

Cheers

Ned

i agree with u on that also, and i wasnt saying dyno jumping is the way to go, i was saying the exact opposite, read my post again, wat i said was go back to the same dyno if u want to see wat differnece ur mods made..

as for the mph, well my car made 261rwkw and i hit 118mph at the creek, so i guess it sounds about right, considering it ran a 12.8 first time out and a shitty 2.3 60ft :

its probably been stated but like the dyno your 1/4mile run is dependant on so many factors...the driver for one! the day...ur setup...blah blah...you either need to run side by side to see which is better or do your dyno at the same day/place to get realistic comparision.

jumping dynos...is pointness but proves that there is a massive variation in results...hence never really trust them unless its at the same place (at least)

Edited by khunjeng

We are comparing aples with aples here, Skylines all have similar gearing, weight and tyre size. poor driving and wheelspin will affect ET but MPH will still be up. Daniel Beer ran 12.4 @ 124 due to poor launch technique. now with a bit of practice he has run 11.75 @ 123. ET ha improved but MPH is the same as nothing was touched on the car. Have seen a VL 26/30 run 10.0 @ 160mph. a testimate to the fact he is making 500rwkw. so MPH is the best way to see if you are making the power you state.

BezerkR32, the MPH is not exactly a 100% foolproof measure either. Things that are not power related can make a difference to your MPH, yet not increase your power output by a single HP. Things like suspension, tyres, weight, drag, gearing (gearbox and diff).

Interesting find Cubes. I didnt even know there were different shootout modes. Thats dumb really. There should only be one!

Even a little more interesting Boostworx appear to always run in SHOOT6 mode.

Basically the lower the mode the longer it takes to complete a power run and the higher chance of wheel spin.

From what I've noticed Shaun doesn't appear to have any issues with wheel spin, I'm assuming he ties it down hard.

Both (lesser shootout mode & tied down harder) of which is why his dyno most likely reads a tad lower than the rest (apart from Blackwood that appear to return near identical figures).

• 3 weeks later...