SAU Community

Good Reading Material?

hey all.

i spend alot of my spare time reading through car mags, looking up howstuffworks.com and browsing this forum to teach myself car stuff. as enjoyable as that is, i was wondering if there are any books out there that are loaded with useful information about engines (especially turbo engines) and how they work etc?

id say my knowledge would be in the low-medium level.

any reccomendations yall?

in fact any media source that is loaded with ANY information about cars (even body work stuff) would be greatly appreciated.

cheers all.

james :P

21st Century Performance by Julian Edgar. Great book. It includes a lot of 'mythbuster' type tests to prove what is true and what is bollocks.

It has a great section on handling and suspension. It's a great general read up on performance cars. There are a few imports in there and most of the tests he does include testing an SR20.

Edgar is (was?) the editor of Autospeed.com.au

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Main_Page

Wikipedia has a lot of good explanations of specific items and products,

The good thing about this site is that anybody can contribute to a topic if approved, leading to a very in depth analysis of a topic.

For example manual transmission gives you:-

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Manual_transmission

Anything by Carroll Smith is worth a read. All the books are old-ish...

Engineer to win

Drive to win

Tune to win

Prepare to win

are the ones that I have (Screw to Win, or the Nuts/Bolts/Fasteners/Plumbing book is on order :rofl:)

You can get these online at http://www.carrollsmith.com/

Corky Bell is very anti certain things that actually do work In Real Life (e.g. water injection, IIRC,

some bastard has my copy of Maximum Boost) but it's also well worth a read ;)

Regards,

Saliya

21st Century Performance by Julian Edgar. Great book. It includes a lot of 'mythbuster' type tests to prove what is true and what is bollocks.
Yes, it's OK as a general guide. I found a couple of technical errors:

calculation of wheel offset

cam timing for RB26DETT

They always start me wondering about what other stuff might be incorrect.

But it was a lot better (accuracy-wise) than the JPNZ R32 Engine Manual.

Slightly on a different track, but I have a book called "How to rebuild and hotrod a Holden V8". I know it isn't turbocharging, but it goes through all the models of Holden V8 through the years, and step by step how to pull the engine apart and rebuild it.

thanks for all your input guys. anything to do with cars is good i geuss, even v8's.. to me, performance is performance (although IMO, turbos are more fun to drive)...

cheers. james.