SAU Community

Motorbike forums......!

d.3.v.i.l

Mark,

Perhaps we can go n do the course together...

I heard the one in Ingleburn, or somewhere near there,

Is pretty easy to pass....

Eric,

I've always wanted to get an R1, but after a few storys

I heard, not just from R1, but other big CC power wise,

I think I will just stick to a 250 only... :P

get a bike that you can fix easy cause when you get a learner bike you probably would lay it down once or twice.

If you can live with it get a crappy looking bike for a year and then get a nice bike when you get off your p's...

my suggestions are that you get a GPX or an ACROSS.... for about 3-4grand or even less if you get one that is from a private dealer.... (i fink thats the going rate rite now)

If you got the cash and wanna spend big for the learner bike you can go for a cbr or a zxr... try to stay away from the fzr, i just think its a piece of crap cause i had one and it was just a pain in the ass.... cbr's go around 5000-6000 i fink.... for a decent one that is coming out of a dealer or maybe around 5000 for out of the trading post...

don't forget that you probably would want some nice gear... so yah... around 1000 for a decent set of leathers... and another 500 for helmet. Talking about good leathers and a decent looking helmet.

So all in all it ain't cheap + fixing it when you drop it (knock on wood)

L's and P's are easy... just takes a **** load of time, bout 6 hours over the 2 days i fink....

Riding is fun... that is if you don't come off...

I think i've seen you car as well...

fark it's nice...

Yeah the pre learner tests are easy as..... Anyone could pass it.

I did ! The test is two 3.5 hour days and is for the most novice riders.... The P's test is a 7 hour full day... With a 2 hour road ride and the M.O.S.T test back at the traning facility....

I got me a Xr250 road trail bike till I get off my P's then im going for a decent road bike with some grunt ! :shake:

xr250's are great fun...

do you go trail biking alot?

i am thinking of taking that up instead of riding on the road seeing that i've always had bad experiences on the road...

what kinda bike would i be looking at if i wanted something with a bit of grunt and could go trailing with?

I heard the WR400's are alrite....

If you're new to riding - do NOT get a big bike! Until you've ridden one, you have no idea how quick they are, and the torque by itself will no doubt get an inexperienced rider into problems (lifting front wheel, going way too quick into corners etc). As an indication, with a terrible launch, my bike (which is by far not the quickest bike out there) ran [email protected], which is a shade under 210km/h, and it's only just clicked into 3rd gear (out of six). Put another way, it'll do 0-200km/h in under 11 seconds. I can tell you from experience, that the first time you crack open the throttle on a big bike, your brain will kind of scramble. It's a bit hard to explain, but it's sort of trying to comprehend what's going on. It sounds a bit dramatic, but it really can be dangerous just trying to jump straight onto a 10 second bike.

Think of it like this - a late model litre bike makes around 130-140rwhp, and weighs at most 200kg, plus rider. So with drivetrain loss (not much on a bike) it might make 150hp and weigh 300kg with a heavy rider, which gives the same power to weight ratio as an R33 Skyline with well over 700hp. Give it a wheelbase of under 150cm, making it damn near impossible to keep it on the ground, and you start to understand. I work in a hospital, and the number of times I hear people say things like "I just bought an R1, and it just looped on me, I dunno what happened" is incredible.

Apologies for the essay but this is something that is really important to me. I cannot stress it enough - DO NOT get a big bike unless you have riding experience. Forget the macho "I can handle it" stand, learn how to ride before you try to ride something quick.

Phew, now that rant is over, I would recommend a CBR250R or RR as a good first sportsbike. My brother has one, and it's a great little thing. He has run 14.5 on it, which is about as quick as a stock R33 GTS25t, and it revs to 18,500rpm, it sounds like a Formula 1 car! You can pick up a very good condition CBR250 for around $3000 - $4000 if you look around.

As for dirtbikes, I'd recommend a DR. WRs are damn good but are a race bike, need rebuilds more often as they are more highly stressed. The DR650 (I think it's a 650) is a very good offroad bike, well behaved, well built, plenty of power, and handles like a dream. You can also get a DR250 if you're not ready for lots of cubes, and they're just as good, all they lack compared to the bigger bike is the power.

Oh yeah, forums :)

http://www.gixxer.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi: GSXR forums. I believe it's based in the US.

http://www.rrzone.com/forums: Fireblades

http://www.fireblades.org/forums/: Fireblades again

http://www.cycleforums.com/forums: General bikes

That's all I can think of at the moment :D