SAU Community

R33 Clutch Change

mort

Hey i'm about to throw a new clutch into my R33 and was just wonderin if anyone out there experienced any problems/major dramas with the job, and how they got around it?

use a whole heap of extentions for the top bell housing bolts, as you cant use anything else...

if you get a ring spanner with a ratchet in it then the top bolt is easy. you just do it from in the engine bay. to make getting the starter motor off easier, undo the bolts that hold the fuel filter and the thing next to it (can't remember what it is) so you you can move them out of the way to get you hands in there easier. you have to take the exhaust off from the cat. also the bolts on the tail shaft are usually very tight.

it would also be worth checking the condition of the pivot bolt while you have the box off. if you take the bolt out, don't over tighten it or it make brake down the track.

easy to do if u have the right tools.. Just make sure u dont bend/brake parts liek the clutch fork and pivot setup like i did..

if anyone has a clutch fork and pivot setup please PM me... thanks

Well its job over and done with now, thanxs very much to LTHLRB, mad082 and bogcock for there advice, few things i learned was that it is very easy to reach all bolts from the below the vehicle, to reach the upper most bolt on the righthand side (above starter motor) it is easy providing your left handed when underneth the car, and all in all it was a pretty easy job (compared to the last gearbox i pulled out)

I have a clutch that i'd like to put in my car. I had the last clutch changed by a mechanic, and basically, in short, I don't wanna pay 300 to have it changed.

I've changed other things in the car like suspensions etc. I don't think it's very hard as such to change the clutch, the only thing i'm worried about is the awkardness.

So how awkard was it to do it on the floor? I imagine your car was on stands, so you don't have a lot of room etc.

Also, how did you manage the weight of the box? DId you let it down on the trolley jack?

I have a clutch that i'd like to put in my car. I had the last clutch changed by a mechanic, and basically, in short, I don't wanna pay 300 to have it changed.

I've changed other things in the car like suspensions etc. I don't think it's very hard as such to change the clutch, the only thing i'm worried about is the awkardness.

So how awkard was it to do it on the floor? I imagine your car was on stands, so you don't have a lot of room etc.

Also, how did you manage the weight of the box? DId you let it down on the trolley jack?

We had the car up on ramps, only real awkward bit was gettin the box out from under the car, we had to jack the rear a bit for the bell housing to clear. It wasn't to bad working on the floor, i found no problems reaching stuff or moving. Getting the box out we supported the weight on a jack, getting it in was a mix of on the jack and manualy holding, as we had to wiggle the rear side to side up n down. If you change the spiggot bush at the same time all you need is a scribe or really fine common screwdriver and just tap it on the outside of the old one to deform it and use pliers to pull it out. Putting the new one in we just used a socket to tap it in.

But yeah all in all i didn't find it very awkward at all, who knows you might i don't really know