SAU Community

Din Pocket / Hu Surround

Noel

I Guys & Gals

Put in stereo (& alarm) on weekend in my S2 R33...Its all good except the DIN i used was not a nissan one but a universal & basically its a cheap piece of shite which does not fit (gaps etc)

Anyhow did a search & apparently the genuine nissan pulsar one fits in perfectly & is availble for $30-$35 which sounds good to me but then i read that a toyota one is exactly the same & is only $10...Is this true & if so which model toyota DIN should i buy?

Also i have an alpine 9831 MP3 HU & like others have encountered the surround does not fit...how have people gotten around this & is the surround supposed to sit behind the actual dash or in front?

Cheers

If i were you i would just go to nissan and get a genuine one..

otherwise you will end up with a $10 din that doesnt even fit..

otherwise try powerplay imports

they usually give sau members good deals

http://www.powerplayimports.com/

Give them a ring.. but they wont be open til tues due to the powerplay track day..

hope that helps..

Also i have an alpine 9831 MP3 HU & like others have encountered the surround does not fit...how have people gotten around this & is the surround supposed to sit behind the actual dash or in front?

I had no problems fitting the 9831 into my car.

Follow this guide on the HU surround. http://r33stereo.groovesystems.net/

You have to drill new holes. I have the same HU as in the guide, but i cbf'ed drilling the holes so I just removed the plastic surround and didnt use it.

As for the poket din, line it up and use eletrical tape to secure it or use cable ties. The one I used was a generic one and it fited perfectly after tieing it up with tape.

Do you have a pic of your pocket?

You can buy the pocket off me for $10? Where abouts are ya?

I had no problems fitting the 9831 into my car.

so you little plastic surround which goes around detachable face clipped on? Mine wont fit once i put dash back on???

Is yours (surround) in front or behind the dash?

Thanks

Follow this guide on the HU surround. http://r33stereo.groovesystems.net/

You have to drill new holes. I have the same HU as in the guide, but i cbf'ed drilling the holes so I just removed the plastic surround and didnt use it.

As for the poket din, line it up and use eletrical tape to secure it or use cable ties. The one I used was a generic one and it fited perfectly after tieing it up with tape.

Do you have a pic of your pocket?

You can buy the pocket off me for $10? Where abouts are ya?

Yea i have that guide but i wanted the surround to sit on outside of the dash, not behind like in the guide where he has pushed his HU back so that it all fits behind

Re the pocket thanks but no thanks i would rather one that actually fits correctly rather than taping it etc

Thanks anyhow

I have used the guide. My surround sits nicely behind the fascia, can post a pic up when I go home for lunch. When I first bought the car the owner had just upgraded from the stock stereo and had the surround on the outside, it looked like crap. I sold that one and upgraded to a Nakamichi.

As for the Din pocket, I went to an Audio store and asked if they had something that would fit, ironically they had fitted a system to a brand new Nissan Navara earlier and gave it to me for $5. Perhaps you could try asking around.

Edit: Here you go. Please excuse the layer of dust on my interior

cimg07145mi.th.jpg

Edited by MintR33

I have used the guide. My surround sits nicely behind the fascia, can post a pic up when I go home for lunch. When I first bought the car the owner had just upgraded from the stock stereo and had the surround on the outside, it looked like crap. I sold that one and upgraded to a Nakamichi.

As for the Din pocket, I went to an Audio store and asked if they had something that would fit, ironically they had fitted a system to a brand new Nissan Navara earlier and gave it to me for $5. Perhaps you could try asking around.

Edit: Here you go. Please excuse the layer of dust on my interior

cimg07145mi.th.jpg

It does look good behind...all nice & flat...ok might consider doing it that way then

would the navara DIN be the same as a pulsar one?

Thanks

nissan pockets are nissan pockets. they all come from the same bin.

in regard to the toyota one - NOPE! the nissan one will boilt straight in. I usually keep them on hand for $28 (out currently.)

Sure is mate. You'd be surprised how many people have told me to upgade to a something better...JVC, Pioneer etc... when I tell them I've spent enough on the Nak the blank looks always seem too much effort to do any further explaining.

^^ is it? never heard of it :dry:

LOL same here, when I saw that pic I was like, "Is that aftermarket, looks like a stock shitter".

So someone care to give more details about that brand.... please. :wub:

If you havent heard of it then chances are you haven't heard of alot of these brands: Click (go to Exotica)

Basically Nakamichi is a high end SQ brand that became famous in the 80's (but has been around since the 40's) for innovating alot of the cassette deck technology of the time. These day's they are largely overlooked, mainly because they are quite expensive and not widely available. About 99% of Nak's R&D goes into making really high fidelity sound reproduction, and as such the appearance of thier units is kept minamalistic and direcected at complimenting the rest of the vehicle's interior (hence the reason for no bling looking screens or chrome buttons).

At the time of purchase (2004) my h/u was retailing at approx $1600 from memory. I think you can buy them now for around $800, but my model does not play MP3.

Here's one of their new products that looks extreemly nice, its their new indash DVD/TV tuner:

indv7.jpg

For more info visit the website.

http://www.nakamichi.com/

Edited by MintR33

Do you sell Nak stuff Chris?

If so do you know if you are able to get hold of Nakamichi SP-C6500 splits?

I do but not a lot of it.

I can do decks but not speakers (I'll check though.)