SAU Community

Law Changes For P's & L's.

alex1991s

WHEN DOES IT START?

The new graduated licensing system will be introduced gradually over the next two years to make sure that young drivers are prepared for each new requirement as it is implemented.

The new alcohol-interlock rules for drink drivers on Ps or aged under 26 years will start in January 2007.

The new learner permit rules will start from July 2007, as will the new high powered vehicle restrictions for P drivers.

All the new P1/P2 rules and the new driving test will start from July 2008.

Straight from the vicroads site. As long as you get your P's before !st July 2007 you should be fine. And anyway i doubt that they will have R34 GT's on the list as high po 6's. At least not initially.

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

the system that was already in place (125kw per tonne) i think was a good system for its purpose, but the list of restricted cars thing like in NSW is just a load of sh*t.

last time i heard about that, u werent aloud to drive the merc C180K, with its nearly 2 tonne mass haveing an awesome 108kw to propell it, smart cars i believe were banned to, with blistering acceleration of 0-100km/h in 11 secs, yet things like S2000's were perfectly legal :) the list has probly been changed now, but i think even a brand new M3 was legal for a while, probly still is.

im hopefully gonna get my Ps in a few months, and this is something i've been watching closely. i personally think these laws aren't gonna make things worse, but they aint gonna get that much better like you think it would.

why do i say this, well think about it, im going to get my P's soon and theres nothing i can do to get a reasonably quick car, so what am i to do... eureka! im going to go down to my local honda/yamaha/kawasaki/suzuki dealer, hand over my small sum of money (and by small sum, i mean i couldnt even buy a decent R32 with it, bikes are that cheap), and straight off the showroom floor go out and do 200km/h+, and it'll get there in half the time of a car, with the added bonus of being less stable than a car with none of the safety, which last time i checked, added up to a grand total of being about 20-30 times more likely to be killed.

and no, i dont plan on buying a bike myself, but everyone here seems to know how stupid and irresponsible young people are, so theres gonna be no shortage of P platers that do want a bike.

If you can afford a car, then you should be able to drive it. But you cant, so.

If you go back to when i was 17 and shopping for a car, there was no way on earth anyone would lend me enough money to buy one. There is no way i could afford insurance etc either.

And at 17 i didnt have near the savings for a 15k car. Lots of ppl would have been in the same boat. These days younger ppl can now get their hands on the money to buy these cars, and interest rates are also a lot lower.

So instead we terrorised the streets in our POS Valiants, Lasers and Meteors, if you were really unlucky you had a VB with a Starfire 4 cyl ;)

So in a sense the laws whilst crap are kinda winding the clock back to having young ppl drive underpowered POS whilst the drive by brail...banks may want everyone in these sorts of cars but govt doesnt

Whoa thats a really obscure question haha um go with 98 octane, so optimax, premium or synergex (the most expensive crap.. Faster and better for the car, less crap in it, more refined etc)

Edited by r32 gts-turbo