SAU Community

Under Bonnet Battery For A R33 S2 *sedan*

Noel

Hi

Just bought the above & battery is shot (still has battery from Japan) & i need a replacement...

I HAVE DONE A SEARCH but all the posts i found were relating to coupe's with the battery in the boot & mine is in bonnet as its a sedan

What battery should i get that is better than std & will fit in original holder & attach to std terminals but wont cost an arm & a leg

Thanks

There's a group buy on Calcium batteries 550cca sealed items which would fit your R33 alright. you might need new clamps from repco or something though, it's quite a bit beefier but not *too* big.

Other than that, maybe odyssey or red top optimas.. but now u're talking a few hundred dollars.

How many CCA's is Std Battery & is terminal post std or small?

Also what do you guys think of these

http://www.gsyuasabatteries.com.au/asp/ind...ype=40&type=377

http://www.gsyuasabatteries.com.au/asp/ind...ype=40&type=379

Wanted this one but oo big to fit

http://www.gsyuasabatteries.com.au/asp/ind...ype=40&type=365

Thanks

Edited by Noel

The ones you've listed are still lead-acid maintenance batteries. I'd imagine you could go anywhere for that sort of stuff (big w's, repco, supercheap) etc.

I can't really tell you what you need for your setup, but if you're looking at replacing the stock battery then you ought to be looking around the 330cca mark (well that's what was in my stock r34).

The ones you've listed are still lead-acid maintenance batteries. I'd imagine you could go anywhere for that sort of stuff (big w's, repco, supercheap) etc.

I can't really tell you what you need for your setup, but if you're looking at replacing the stock battery then you ought to be looking around the 330cca mark (well that's what was in my stock r34).

My setup is stock std mechanically & im running one amp & a 10" sub of a MP3 HU

My setup is stock std mechanically & im running one amp & a 10" sub of a MP3 HU

imagine you have an alarm also? and you're not going to be running your system at full blast for extended periods of time with the engine switched off?

You'd get away with a 500cca lead type battery ... i had a similar setup in my previous beast (kicker 354xi amp, 12" rockford, stacker/hu, a few electronic gizmos) and i ran a similar battery without ever any startup problems.

The main reasons why you'd want to step up to a gel cell or fully sealed system are:

- often are deep cycle

- don't leak gas

- no maintenence

- can relocate into the boot

- often can be smaller than factory battery (talking only about the optimas and odysseys here)

- greater cranking capacity

downsides are of course ... cost.

Hope this helps you.

edit> in summary... don't be tight.. go the > 500cca lead-acid as bare minimum, go the gel cell if you need that overhead. :D

Edited by Howie

imagine you have an alarm also? and you're not going to be running your system at full blast for extended periods of time with the engine switched off?

You'd get away with a 500cca lead type battery ... i had a similar setup in my previous beast (kicker 354xi amp, 12" rockford, stacker/hu, a few electronic gizmos) and i ran a similar battery without ever any startup problems.

The main reasons why you'd want to step up to a gel cell or fully sealed system are:

- often are deep cycle

- don't leak gas

- no maintenence

- can relocate into the boot

- often can be smaller than factory battery (talking only about the optimas and odysseys here)

- greater cranking capacity

downsides are of course ... cost.

Hope this helps you.

edit> in summary... don't be tight.. go the > 500cca lead-acid as bare minimum, go the gel cell if you need that overhead. :D

problem is size...the one in there now is only 200mm Long, 130mm Wide & 190mm High with small terminal posts & i cant see anything bigger fitting in there at all & most batteries with a decent cca are at least 172mm wide & 239mm long

I don't know if they're easy to come by or not, but my mate who is an auto sparky put an AC Delco sealed lead-acid in mine - circa 550CCA - runs rings arounf the old 'Exide' that was in there when i bought it. Starts easier, and just plain starts after working on the car with the stereo on :D

Just thought id add my 2c.

NOTE ; It is also a very small battery, similar in dimension to what Noel described, small posts included.

Edited by pstanbis

it isn't essential for a sealed battery if it's up the front. Now that iv'e owned a skyline with a sealed battery, i would never go back thouguh.

no more acid spills, no more acid powder and rust everywhere etc.

You don't need such a massive battery. Before my stock battery died, the stock 330 cca battery worked wonders.

Hi

Just bought the above & battery is shot (still has battery from Japan) & i need a replacement...

I HAVE DONE A SEARCH but all the posts i found were relating to coupe's with the battery in the boot & mine is in bonnet as its a sedan

What battery should i get that is better than std & will fit in original holder & attach to std terminals but wont cost an arm & a leg

Thanks

I have a Rocket 452, 550 CCA, L 240mm W 174mm H 212mm. It fits alright. Longer brackets required. A point to note, if you want to change headlight bulbs, do so before you upgrade to a larger size battery :D

post-18152-1151665078.jpg