SAU Community

What to buy?

RANDY

Hello,

Currently in the process of choosing an amplifies and due to time constraints have to make a choice now or i lose a chance of a good deal.

The subwoofer amps im deciding between are:

- US AUDIO USA554-220Z - 4 x 50w & 1 x 220w RMS + sub w/ box

- Clarion APX1300 - 1 x 300w RMS @ 4ohm

- Jaycar Response AA-0424 - 500w RMS x 1 @ 4ohm

the US Audio amp+sub package is 2nd hand and selling for the same price as brand new clarion/jaycar amp.

Im leaning towards the US Audio amp w/ sub due to its low price but im not sure if i will be wasting money.

Any help will be great :mellow:

Thanks

- Patrick

Subs are not that fussy for sound quality so THD levels (Total Harmonic Distortion) are not do important what they need is "power" so try to pick one that has has the highest output, in your case the Jaycar Response AA-0424 - 500w RMS x 1 @ 4ohm will do the job hopefully it is Mosfet so later you can add a second sub and bridged down to 2 ohms it will pump. :)

• Replies 158
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

US Audio?? is that some cheap brand? dont think i have heard of them before.. Or am i thinking of something else..

anyways..

WOW 500w *1 into 4 ohms.. Thats awesome.

I would pick the jaycar amp. Better to have more power than under power for any sub or speakers.. Plus the reviews on these jaycar amps are pretty high..

Also what sub are you buying? and specs please..

Whats your budget??

This will also help you further

Thanks for the replies!

ive decided to go all out in Clarion. What im planning to buy is the following (over the month):

-------------------------------------

Headunit:

Clarion DX766MP

--------

Amps:

APX4240

* 4-channnel x 60 watts into 4 ohms, 20Hz-20kHz @ < 0.1%THD

* 4-channnel x 90 watts into 2 ohms, 20Hz-20kHz @ < 0.1%THD

DPX1800

* 450W × 1 Into 4 Ohms, 20Hz-20kHz @ < 0.05%THD

* 800W × 1 Into 1 or 2 Ohms, 20Hz-20kHz @ < 0.1%THD

--------

Splits:

SRS1686

* 45w RMS

--------

Sub:

PXW1252

* 1000 watts of maximum music power

* 500 watts RMS

--------

Rears:

Pioneer 4way 6inch

* 50w RMS

--------

Power:

2Farad JayCar Response Capacitor

-------------------------------------

Couple of questions about this setup;

- Are the clarion Amp's rated in RMS value?

- Will 4gauge Power cable, split into 2x 8gauge be enough for this system? The wiring kit stated 600w but i will be putting in a capacitor?

- The sub as stated as Dual 4ohm so it wont be able to run in 2ohms? Dont quite understand these 2ohm/4ohm sub/amps

Last question :)

Would this be a better option than the mono amp/sub i stated above?

--------------

APX1300

* 400 Watts of Maximum Music Power

* 1-channel x 300 watts into 4 ohms, 20Hz-20kHz @ < 0.1%THD

* 1-channel x 400 watts into 2 ohms, 20Hz-20kHz @ < 0.1%THD

with

Clarion Sub Enclosure

With 2 subs;

SB12XB

* 600 watts of maximum music power

--------------

Summarizing up;

Option 1: 450w RMS 4ohm amp(800w 2ohm) + 1000w Max (500w RMS) dual coil 12" sub

Option 2: 400w RMS 2 ohm amp + 2x 600w Max single coil 12" sub + Clarion Enclosure

Which one of the two options will have the best bass?

also note, i would need to buy a box for option 1 which would be another $100~

Ooohhh I run a pair of Kicker comp 6.5" in the front doors and they run of a kenwood amp they sound awesome no distortion or break down at high end volume i would say these are a good bang for buck i run them!!! I got them for i think $240 - 50 by memory can get them cheaper now through a mate and similar if ya need some help! let us know!!!

Alright well best value on your budget would be some alpine S type splits retailish at $150ish.. Type R $250ish.. Ive got type R and they supply heaps more bass..

With the JVC head unit they lack good equaliser .. I know as ive got one :(! So make sure a pro tunes it as it will be the difference between good and shit sound ..

Kicker and pioneer have been lifting there game and put out some real nice top end speakers .. retailing $450ish tho :S

Jaycar have some excellent Kevlar splits which go off nicely.. Another cheap option most people go for which will easily match a type S speaker setup

JL make awesome subs, depending on the music u tune to u'll prob need one.. The W1 is cheap and cranks deep and clear I love it .. Ive got a comp level NV series woofer and apart from taking a shit load of space up in the boot its f**kn loud maybe to loud sometimes so be ware of that!

Sub will need a mono block to run from .. Watts will need to be matched to get max performance..

Yes go with 6.5 front and rear .. utimatly its up to u .. most ppl recommend this setup with a sub in the boot!

hope that helps .. i like to jibber on so ill say goodbye now..

Alright well best value on your budget would be some alpine S type splits retailish at $150ish.. Type R $250ish.. Ive got type R and they supply heaps more bass..

I agree with this... type S are in your budget and sound pretty good... if you can afford another 4 channel amp i'd say go for it and a set of just apline 3 ways for the back 6.5"

Apline is getting much cheaper than before and quality is getting better every year... I say Alpine 4 da win!

Ok ive got a couple of 12" kicker subs, going to hook them up to a mono amp.

If i buy 4 of the 6.5 " kickers that u were talking about, what would be a suitable amp to hook these up to? ive got a spare two-channel clarion v-net series 2100 lying around but i somehow doubt thisll do the job?

Thanx :(

Ok ive got a couple of 12" kicker subs, going to hook them up to a mono amp.

If i buy 4 of the 6.5 " kickers that u were talking about, what would be a suitable amp to hook these up to? ive got a spare two-channel clarion v-net series 2100 lying around but i somehow doubt thisll do the job?

Thanx :D

actually it will. lose one 12" sub and it will do fine.

• 1 month later...

Current Setup

Basic Pioneer Headunit

Front Pioneer Splits (220w)

Back Pioneer 6" (200w)

Pioneer amp d-class mono (1000w)

Pioneer sub (1000w)

ok im look for a new headunit and a 4-channel amp to run my speakers. As u can see ive gone with all pioneer in the past but am now finding it hard to find a pioneer headunit that suits what im looking for..

ive looked at the new pioneer headunits and they look good and sound good but i dont think they ahve AUX in which is something that i really want. Ive also looked at some eclipse headunits and they have everything i want but i dont really like the look of them..

im looking at getting a eclipse cd4000 headunit and a eclipse ea4000 amp but im not to sure.

if anyone could recomend some place to go to (in perth) or any good models or brand that would be great.. and also what do u guys think of those eclipse items i mentioned?

but the main question is what to go for PIONEER, ECLIPSE or ALPINE??

but the main question is what to go for PIONEER, ECLIPSE or ALPINE??

Just in relation to amplifiers; why stop at those three brands? Some other brands I would recommend adding to your audition list (do still include those three too) include:

Audio System

Audison

Diamond Audio

Boston

DLS

Crossfire

Infinity

Phoenix Gold

Treo

ARC Audio

Zapco

Tru-Tech

Milbert

Blaupunkt

Digital Designs

Vibe

Earthquake

Check them all out before making a choice. Remember there are a lot more brands out there - you shouldn't necessarily choose a mainstream one based solely on the size of their marketing campaign. If you need to know what specs to look for when chosing an amplifier, click here.:laugh:

Edited by Fhrx

Hey, ive just bought some kenwood 6x9" 350W speakers to go in the back of my 96 R33 Skyline, just wondering if they will fit.. More so the depth - they are 70mm deep, just wondered if they will fit after reading a DIY guide on the forums here and there was a measurement of 57mm..

Now it may sound weird and your asking yourself why dont i check myself, but ive only just bought the car and its going through the compliance and all that stuff so i wont have it for about 10 days. Just bought these speakers on sale and couldnt wait till i got the car haha, cheers guys

In regards to headunits try to get 1 with 3 pre-outputs cause you said that you wanted to run a sub, that way you will have an output for the front speakers, rear speakers and an output for your sub for the mono block you will need.

hey guys im tossing up atm between the following headunits

alpine cda-9856i

pioneer deh-5950IB

pioneer deh5850MP

my budget is $500 and im lookin for easy connectivity with my ipod. i dont wanna have to buy another device just to connect it up. i basically chose these on that basis and on the fact that they have 3 pre out min. what else should i be looking for?

if some one can comment on my choices and tell me why any one of them is better than the others id be grateful

alpine cda-9856i

pioneer deh-5950IB

pioneer deh5850MP

my budget is $500 and im lookin for easy connectivity with my ipod. i dont wanna have to buy another device just to connect it up. i basically chose these on that basis and on the fact that they have 3 pre out min. what else should i be looking for?

if some one can comment on my choices and tell me why any one of them is better than the others id be grateful

If ya feel like buying from ebay you can get the 5950iB for $235 + post. http://cgi.ebay.com.au/LATEST-2007-NEW-PIO...1QQcmdZViewItem

or the 6950iB for $299 + post http://cgi.ebay.com.au/2007-Pioneer-DEH-P6...2QQcmdZViewItem

alpine cda-9856i

pioneer deh-5950IB

pioneer deh5850MP

bought my pioneer 6950IB off that ebay link for 278 . pick up. damn happy with it. and if you $500 to spare might as well go for the latest 7950UB with the usb port in the front. that's the only diff from the 6950IB.

bought my pioneer 6950IB off that ebay link for 278 . pick up. damn happy with it. and if you $500 to spare might as well go for the latest 7950UB with the usb port in the front. that's the only diff from the 6950IB.

dude did the unit you bought of this seller come with the ipod cable or do i have to source that somewhere else? because i thought it was included