SAU Community

*help* Car Wont Start

Noel

Ok here is the story...

I just bought an R33 S2 Sedan. When i went to see & get car inspected it had been sitting a while so needed a jump start but when i picked up car it was fine & started first go everytime all week...On the weekend my cousin installed an alarm & we also put in a HU & Sub & Amp...Anyhow car would not start after install so we figured battery had been drained due to boot/doors open etc whilst installing so we gave it a jump & i drove home no worries...

Next day go to start car & nothing, just click click click...I did a search on here & after reading many threads I took the battery out, gave it an over night charge, got multimeter out & battery read at approx 12.3-12.5v, so I whacked it in the car & started first go, sweet (i thought)...I checked voltage whilst running & it read 14.18 at idle & rose to about 14.26 under loan 2000-3000rpm so to me alternator is was working fine...

Anyhow i drove to the gym, worked out for an hour or so then came out & it started first go but was a bit slow to kick over...Went home ate etc then went to go out about an hour later & click click click it would not turn over? Thinking maybe something was draining battery i checked again & it was still readin 12.3-12.5v?

What the hell is wrong? I figured it cant be the starter motor cause it jumps fine, alternator seems to be working? & battery has charge? I am Stumped

Please help!!!

Thanks

Noel

New battery needed!

Is the battery you have now one of those "pitwork" ones? If so they normally die pretty quickly. I know during the first few weeks of getting my car I had similar problems.

Also another SAU member's GTR left it for a week and it wouldnt started (Also had a pitwork battery - I think they are std. nissan ones from japan), tried jumper leads, pushing it no go. Changed the battery over to a new one and it worked straight off.

There is a group buy on the FS from wrxhoon who has those dry gell type batteries for $150 I think. Check it out.

New battery needed!

Is the battery you have now one of those "pitwork" ones? If so they normally die pretty quickly. I know during the first few weeks of getting my car I had similar problems.

Also another SAU member's GTR left it for a week and it wouldnt started (Also had a pitwork battery - I think they are std. nissan ones from japan), tried jumper leads, pushing it no go. Changed the battery over to a new one and it worked straight off.

There is a group buy on the FS from wrxhoon who has those dry gell type batteries for $150 I think. Check it out.

Nah its a Bosch with Japanese writing all over it...

What i dont understand is if its the battery that is stuffed why is it reading 12.3-12.5v??...Can a battery still hold correct charge & work all accessories etc but be damaged in some way (maybe cells) for it not to be able to provide enough voltage to starter motor?

Get a new battery.

Just want to be 100% sure it is the battery & not someting else

With a previous car i thought my battery was dead, went out & bought a GSYuasa then 2 days later that was dead & found it all it was was a bad connection with stereo which was draining battery.

& i still am not convinced it is the battery beacuse according to multimeter its not flat???

Is there a date engraved on the battery? That date would be the day it was fitted. Regular batterys only last for 2 or 3 years depending on what you buy. I had a battery die in my old pulsar, it started up all fine and dandy for 2 years, then one morning the car wouldn't start, so i charged it, the next day it was dead again. So i bought a new battery and everything was fine again.

If your battery is old it probably just karked it.

Not enough amps to crank (Lets get crunk tonite. lol sorry), its not always volts that are required to start a car.

Use a AMP Meter, or best yet get a mutimeter and read the amps. Not sure what AMPs are required.

But I reckon too much trouble as..

Im 99% sure that the battery you have is dead.

Its just like any old recharable battery you may have. (Especially SONY camera batteries, worst ones ever). Charge a battery many many cycles and after many many times it will loose its "chargeablity" (if thats the correct term).

Not enough amps to crank (Lets get crunk tonite. lol sorry), its not always volts that are required to start a car.

Use a AMP Meter, or best yet get a mutimeter and read the amps. Not sure what AMPs are required.

But I reckon too much trouble as..

Im 99% sure that the battery you have is dead.

Its just like any old recharable battery you may have. (Especially SONY camera batteries, worst ones ever). Charge a battery many many cycles and after many many times it will loose its "chargeablity" (if thats the correct term).

Ok picked up a battery yesterday & whacked it in last night & seems to be fine now ;-) (fingers crossed)

I got myself a battery from a wholesaler called Supercharge Batteries http://www.supercharge.com.au/

Battery i got was MF55B24R. Its 450CCA Has 3Yr warranty & is a zero maintenance battery...Has pencil terminals so no mods required & also is the same width as std battery, so all you need to do is take out battery tray, whack in new battery, clamp it down with original brackets & away you go!

*Note this is for Underbonnet only as its not sealed*