SAU Community

Next Gt-r Still A Maybe For Australia

scathing

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Full article:

The production model and the GT-R Proto revealed at last year's Tokyo Motor Show will be closely connected according to design chief, Shiro Nakamura. The production version will not have some features such as the carbon fibre at the front, but overall, it will have a similar appearance.

The new 350kW-plus GT-R super-car will be released in Japan in 2007. It will be on American showroom floors in 2008 with no final decision regarding if and when the GT-R will return to Australian shores.

The original version was nicknamed "Godzilla", due to its race-winning performance, but the GT-R badge hasn't seen a new model release since the Skyline R34 began production back in 1998. Australia hasn't seen a GT-R sold locally since its controversial glory days in the Australian touring car circuit back in the early ‘90s.

Nakamura stated, during a recent Australian conference, that the new GT-R will be a stand-alone model unlike the previous GT-R, which was based on the regular Skyline.

Despite spending a long time in development, Nakamura says, the super-car will be worth the wait. The new GT-R will enjoy performance "one or two levels higher than the previous model," said Mr Nakamura.

yeah I saw this in the Nissan newsletter today, here's hoping...I don't think they would be promoting it thru their mass market communications if there wasn't a good chance of it coming.

I've know someone who is on the waiting list with Nissan Aus....fingers crossed.....

I hope this comes out and its (relatively) affordable.

A guy on 350Z-Tech will sell his Roadster to buy it, and return it to stock. I've got first dibs on his APS TT kit if he does. :dry:

Speaking of which, I haven't seen you on there for a while.

• 2 weeks later...

The mission statement for the GT-R was "Porsche 911 Turbo performance for 911 Carrera money".

So I'm estimating that the car will be around $180K, since the entry model 911 is just under $200K.

I've seen some people reckon it'll be under $150K, but I think they're dreaming. I'm not saying its not a nice dream, but I don't think they can have it cost effective for that price.

Sub $150K for next GT-R seems v.unlikely. R34s were more than that through importers in '99 with some km's on the clock. Just look at what the NSX (another stand-alone model) was listing at before it was killed off ($245K+). Knowing how they price these sorts of things, it will prolly be $195,990 (Basic 911 Carrera is just over $195K)

• 4 weeks later...

you know if you think about it we all want them to come here, but who can afford it? it will definetly be over 100k so prety much nissan will be wasting alot of money to bring it here when hardly anyone wil buy it, but knows what can happen :)

true, it's a small market for these types of cars... but how many 911's do you see floating around? they're a dime a dozen... but these cars don't NEED to be sold in falcon/commodore type numbers... they're not meant to be a mass model.

I was thinking it will be more M3 money, $155K - $170k, if they can keep it say between $150k - $180K, i reckon they'll do VERY well. There has been a lot more of a shift towards performance cars, i think, in terms of marketing and advertising. And if you have a $170K GTR that is the same level, if not better, than a 997 Turbo... you'd be laughing.

of course it matters!!! the red tape required to get these things coming through J-Spec etc, is enourmous! And then, the amount of workshops with approval for them will be next to nothing, and you can bet it won't be $2500 for compliance...

who says none of us will be able to afford one? there are already ppl from this forum who are on waiting lists for them. There are ppl on this forum who own $100K+ R34 GTR's... So what if we all don't go out and buy one next year, at least they'll be available, and that means "second hand"...

did you buy your R34 in 1998 or 1999, or whatever year it was made?

of course it matters!!! the red tape required to get these things coming through J-Spec etc, is enourmous! And then, the amount of workshops with approval for them will be next to nothing, and you can bet it won't be $2500 for compliance...

who says none of us will be able to afford one? there are already ppl from this forum who are on waiting lists for them. There are ppl on this forum who own $100K+ R34 GTR's... So what if we all don't go out and buy one next year, at least they'll be available, and that means "second hand"...

did you buy your R34 in 1998 or 1999, or whatever year it was made?

Yeah i know i just said that the majority probably wouldnt be able to afford it. I know theres heaps of people that will be able to afford it but not the majority.

And my skyline is a late 1998 model

Yeah i know i just said that the majority probably wouldnt be able to afford it. I know theres heaps of people that will be able to afford it but not the majority.

And my skyline is a late 1998 model

Alex, dig upwards

I hope they don't bring the new GTR to Australia, because if they do they won't be eligible for import in years time when they get cheaper to buy in Japan.

Good call!

I never really thought about it that way!

Not that i could afford one but hey heres dreaming!