SAU Community

R33 Sounding Like A Subaru

Hi everyone

I have a R33 GTS25t skyline. The problem that i have just started having lately is my car seems to sound like a subaru and revs really badly almost like it is not running on a few cylinders. This has only just started happening lately. I thought that it might have been the fact that i had my turbo tech boost controller set too high therefore causing it to run the rich/retard so i turned it down as far as possible and going from the factory boost gauge looks to be 7-8 psi. I thought that it might have been the rich/retard because i noticed that the car had a little hesitation when using a 1/4 to 1/2 throttle.

The reason i don't think it is the coils is i just had them replaced 3 months ago with spitfires and it did fix the missfire problem that i had. I had the plugs replaced with iridiums 9mths ago but had them while i had my missfire.

Any thoughts would be appreciated

hmm i had similar problems a few weeks ago, but really only when the car was cold (like at 5am when you start it), would misfire for a while, and sound exactly like a suby, espicially just off idle.... driving around a while it would misfre before coming good. Problem has gone away now, not sure of the exact fix but i did the following,

got fuel from a different place/brand + ran a bottle of injector cleaner through the system. (might have been a batch of bad fuel).

Changed the fuel filter

Ecu reset

Pulled off the throttle body and afm and gave it a good clean up

switched from 10w60 to 10w40 oil and changed the filter (dont think this would have been the fixer but you never know).

All these were done at once so i got no idea what would fix the problem just it seemed to work for me :whistling:

my car was doin the same thing, ended up being 4 pistons with detonated ring lands.... bad bad bad...

fuel cut wasnt workn, and the newly fitted gcg high flowed turbo was over boosting something severe... 3rd gear pinging burnout= dead motor..

do a compression test, and if the cylinders are uneven, or way below 160-170psi (recommended compression) you have probs!!!!

Thanks for the ideas. Really it isn;t the ringlands as i made sure that the boost wasn't above 10psi and raarely take it of 6,000rpm.

Seems really strange but it doesn't seem to matter if the car is cold or not or even if it has just been started or in the process of driving somewhere. It will even stop sometimes after driving a little.

Malecki i hope it is something simple but i havn't cleaned my engine lately.

Any chance that it could be the plugs since i did drive with the old ones for a few months before i got new coils?

Had exactly the same thing about 3 weeks after fitting new coil packs....turned out the mechanic hadn't pushed on one of the coil pack connectors properly and it had popped off during driving, but not all the way. Just making contact occassionally.

Might pay to just remove and replug all plugs and reseat.

hey there dont know if it would help but it might be one of your injectors

mine was rattling like a rexi (love the sound of it - the shakin of my car and high revs not such thrill hahaha wannabe rexi..) mechs checked out the coils n plugs replaced them but it wasnt the case. then he did more testing found one of the injectors had gone something about it opening up or crap..anywayz just ask might be that..

Have you checked airflow metre? try using someone else's.

Ive wasted an engine about a year ago because of a dodgy AFM. And like you i never had boost more than 10psi. it was just running so lean it slowly killed it off. but it went so hard, while it lasted.

but yea, on its final stages; idle was getting really rough, will heistate at times and seems to get worse after a longish drive.(when engines hot) and just stall, and be hard to start again.

its worth to chcek it out, if you havent already. just swap the afm meter over for a day and see what happens

i was just working on a mates 33 that had this. it turns out 1 of his coils was absolutely shot. massive scorch mark just under the plug. pulled it out and put a plug in it and started the car with it out and there was no spark. then tried a different coil and it sparked. but running on 5 cylinders it sounded like a wrx on steroids.

Check your injectors, if one injector isnt running it will sound like a wrx straight off. I would have the car running, and unplug them one by one if you can, and see if the idle gets worse or doesnt change...if it doesnt get worse on a certain injector then you may have found your problem.

Alternatively it could be the rich n retard has fouled your plugs up, and they need to be cleaned, and possibly regapped to something like .7-.8 I use that gap typically.

Hi everyone

I have a R33 GTS25t skyline. The problem that i have just started having lately is my car seems to sound like a subaru and revs really badly almost like it is not running on a few cylinders. This has only just started happening lately. I thought that it might have been the fact that i had my turbo tech boost controller set too high therefore causing it to run the rich/retard so i turned it down as far as possible and going from the factory boost gauge looks to be 7-8 psi. I thought that it might have been the rich/retard because i noticed that the car had a little hesitation when using a 1/4 to 1/2 throttle.

The reason i don't think it is the coils is i just had them replaced 3 months ago with spitfires and it did fix the missfire problem that i had. I had the plugs replaced with iridiums 9mths ago but had them while i had my missfire.

spark plugs and gap maybe

i had that on my r32 gtr. turned out that the engine ran too rich and ruined plugs 3, 4 and 5. changed plugs and all is well now.

hmmm, i have a similar problem atm, im pretty sure its a coilpack though, mine misses from about 4k clearing at 5 is missing again around 6 :P ......., i bought some coilpacks from a series 1 without thinking to check whether theyre the same (mine is s2) :P

Hi everyone

He said its intermittent, dont think they straighten them selves out when they feel like it.

okies then

could still be an issue with lifters sticking and keeping the valves open..

• 1 month later...