SAU Community

Apexi Turbo Timer With A/f & O2 Readouts.

66yostagea

Turbo Timer…..YUK

What do you want one of those for?

They are just an easy place for someone to steal your car.

Ooooo, I have to cool the turbo down after I thrash it.

Yeh, but what about the gearbox, didn’t you thrash it at the same time?

Oooooo, better buy a gearbox timer

What about the diff, didn’t you thrash it at the same time?

Oooooo, better buy a diff timer

If you were really driving fast enough to heat up the turbo then you probably used the brakes it to stop in the driveway.

Oooooo, better buy a brake timer

Surely it makes more sense to do a lap of the block to cool the whole lot down. Not just the turbo, idling in the driveway.

As for the A/F ratios, it uses the standard (slow and narrow lambda sensor) so that’s an even bigger waste of time (and money).

:D cheers ;)

Edited by Sydneykid

whats the standard "cooling down" time then, for us non-turbotimer users?

:D

Ive been shutting down too quickly IMO - sort of trying to shag the turbo so I Need a hiflow, not working as yet !

:ermm:

whats the standard "cooling down" time then, for us non-turbotimer users?

:D

Ive been shutting down too quickly IMO - sort of trying to shag the turbo so I Need a hiflow, not working as yet !

:ermm:

I do a 2 minute lap of the block at 50 kph (the speed limit), the moving airflow helps cool everything down better than idling for 5 minutes stationary in the driveway ever will.

If you want to be super sure, instead of wasting your money on a turbo timer (TT), it would be smarter to buy an Exhaust Gas Temperature (EGT) Gauge. Then you know when it’s OK to stop doing block lappies. Plus you also get to monitor the ceramic turbine failing temperature.

That’s make 2 uses for an EGT gauge compared to NONE for a TT (unless you’re a car thief of course).

:O cheers :laugh:

Before anyone else wants to kick my ass, the timer is a present from my S13 son.

As I've said elsewhere I am new to all the technics you guys have been wrestling with for years.

Oh F! I think I'llgo and work on the 30.

Before anyone else wants to kick my ass, the timer is a present from my S13 son.

As I've said elsewhere I am new to all the technics you guys have been wrestling with for years.

Oh F! I think I'llgo and work on the 30.

Well, I am sure he won't mind if you sell it and buy an EGT gauge instead.

Especially when you tell him I said so :ermm:

I hope you cool down the brakes on the 30 after a good thrashing.

It's not really a high low tech thing, more a good, sensible, mechanical sympathy question.

:D cheers :O

I do a 2 minute lap of the block at 50 kph (the speed limit), the moving airflow helps cool everything down better than idling for 5 minutes stationary in the driveway ever will.

I usually make sure Im off-boost and driving at speed limit for the final 2 minutes, then shut down once all items (kids included) are taken out of the car.

Hmmm - so, sounds like that wont shag it then, damn.

Hugh, its all good mate, install it if its a prezzie. Ive actually got a turbo timer, its switched off (first mod I did, was to turn it of LOL) - a) illegal in SA, b) dangerous IMO when at petrol stations.

if you have your turbo timer wired correctly then the car will stall as soon as the handbrake is released...making it pretty hard to steal IMO

i have a turbo timer in my stag, it came with the car, although if it didnt come with one, i would have put one in anyway. its peace of mind for me and im more than happy to have it in my car.

I must say, I never seen SK sarcastic before...quite witty when he wants to be...he he

Maybe that's what SK stands for - S ar K astic.

I would be interested to know how it makes a car easier to steal??

Is it easier to hot wire, or do they have to drive off while it is still idling?

Edited by 3intheBack

well the reason its easier to steal is the fact they pull the timer out and all the connected wires are there for starting the car instead of them having to go lookin around under the dash they can see them easy as.

im sure ripping the wire off the handbrake is piece of piss for a theif too so the handbrake trick wont do nuthin.

ive seen plenty of cars stolen without the keys and they just snap the steering lock

Edited by CruiseLiner

its easy to steal because the turbo timer is wired directly into the ign/acc. means that the thief has all the wires right there in front of him.

as far as TT goes, car had one with it from previous owner. I took it out and chucked it out.

Cool down? well, i dont bother at all for street driving as its just street (i mean, work->home etc)

winding roads, i generally just drive a few km's cooling the car down, sometimes at low speeds (sub like 20) and with the bonnet popped so there is more airflow into the engine (thats at like, turbo turned completely red inc dump etc)

If a professional wants to steal a car (to order for example) nothing will stop

him/her. A brick through a window, break the steering lock, tow away, even fork onto a truck. Chop Shops and Midnight Spares know all the tricks. They have to or join the dole queues

My intention is to put the timer in the glovebox with the other electronics. Out of sight out of mind.

A couple of well placed coolers will help take care of some of the temp rises,

and SK/Bass Junkey air deflector will also help.

My blitz TT is hooked up to a EGT and I monitor the time on it, it usually sits on 10sec, but it goes up in 10sec increments until it hits 9min50sec, not that I have ever got it that high before.

Anyway for street use, it rarely goes over 10sec, and on those times which it does, I make sure to drive the last 5kms or so very gently and watch the timer go back down to 10 and then just let it tick the last 10sec off when I get home.

But Hugh is right, the best alarm in the world wont stop a tilt tray :P

Also WOW SK, GO YOU SARCASTIC THING! WOOOOOOSSSSAAAAAAHHHHHH :thanks:

It's not the professional thief you should be worried about, it's the joy rider. If a professional wants your car then he will get it. But they are less than 20% of the cars stolen, the other 80% is joy riders or amatures with a drug habit to feed.

Stagea has frameless windows, so 5 secs with screwdriver and they are in. One hit on the steering wheel and the alloy steering lock is broken and then join 3 wires from the turbo timer and they are gone.

If they have to search for wires, it's harder, especailly on a non common car where they don't know the wiring colours. The good old TT puts all the necessary wires right there in front of them. Snip, snip, twist, see you later.

I wouldn't put a TT in the glovebox because I can't reach it from the drivers seat. I find it very annoying and perhaps dangerous to have to lean accross the car to turn off the ignition. That's the other problem I find with TT's is the damn engine won't turn off instantly when I want it to. I have to keep overriding the TT and that slows down the process considerably.

Think about it, say I am checking the ignition timing, turn off the engine though the drivers side window and then wait 10 seconds until the TT shuts down. It slows down the process something terrible, plus when I am testing cold settings the last thing I want is 10 more seconds of warming up.

I am only ever SarKastic (I like that) when I am talking about something I hate, TT's are near the top of the list. Just under the falacy of "boost cut".

:D cheers :yes:

I should also add that watching the standard lambda sensor output will drive you crazy. Evertime you lift off the throttle (even a tiny bit) it will show lean and you will worry abouit you engine. Evertime you touch the throttle (even a tiny bit) it will show rich and you will worry about fuel economy. When coasting (throttle off) it will show SUPER LEAN and you will pull over in fear of killing it.

You will be paranoid in a week, because everything above is 100% normal. A standard lambda sensor display tells you nothing, except that you car is running in closed loop sometimes.

:D cheers :yes:

PSl; you have no idea how many PM's I get from guys (with standard lambda sensor read outs) in a total panic from the above.

• 7 months later...
Turbo Timer…..YUK

What do you want one of those for?

They are just an easy place for someone to steal your car.

Ooooo, I have to cool the turbo down after I thrash it.

Yeh, but what about the gearbox, didn’t you thrash it at the same time?

:) cheers :)

before you start going that route

remember

Your diff nad tranny dont get near as hot as your turbo,, and once you turn that engine off, oil flow to the turbo dies, therefore cooling aid does as well

yeah i brought it from the dead, but it was used a reason not to use a turbo timer in another thread.

adn i strongly disagree with this reasoning

You can buy a dif cooler, you can buy a tranny cooler, you cant buy a turbo cooler

Dont spread misinformation

You use a turbo timer to cool the bearing cartridge in your turbo. nothign else

Edited by yokotas13

before you start going that route

remember

Your diff nad tranny dont get near as hot as your turbo,, and once you turn that engine off, oil flow to the turbo dies, therefore cooling aid does as well

yeah i brought it from the dead, but it was used a reason not to use a turbo timer in another thread.

adn i strongly disagree with this reasoning

You can buy a dif cooler, you can buy a tranny cooler, you cant buy a turbo cooler

Dont spread misinformation

You use a turbo timer to cool the bearing cartridge in your turbo. nothign else

Nice try champ, but I think you might be out of your league here...

*awaits an informed reply from whom you have just criticised* :)

if u want to let the turbo cool down than wait in the car for 30 secs or whatever, by the time u wind up all the windows and get ya shit together im sure 30 secs would have passed.

if u aint got 30 secs to spare than thats your problem :happy:

dont thrash it for the last few corners of driving and u dont even need to leave it idleing