SAU Community

Short-term Borrow: R32 Ignitor

Oosh

I *think* I have a faulty ignitor, the car's still running but drops to 5 cylinders occasionally, but before I go get a new one I'd like to test my theory.

Does anyone have a spare they could lend, or are willing to let me pop round, and nick theirs for half an hour?

Cheers,

- Ash.

If you want a laugh give nissan a ring and ask how much a new one is :P Same thing you describe happened to me and it was the ignitor, i got one from a wrecker for $170.

If you are desperate you can borrow it for a drive if you want.

Edited by Ronin

Mine occasionally drops a cylinder on cold start then smooths out, it also tends to drop a cylinder after a high rev and has recently started to sound like an ignition breakdown.

I've always assumed its the lifters pumping up but the cold start cylinder drop out has me a little confused. There's no tapping and what not so its not the lifter bleeding down.

Any of the above sound similiar?

You can borrow mine for an hour or so if you wish... The other side of town for you though I believe?

• 4 weeks later...

Damn subscription business not working, I'd just assumed you'd all abandoned me to my fate (shold have known better), and shit i didin't realise I'd been putting up with this volvo crap for so long.

Okay, mine isn't on cold start, it's after the cars been running for 30mins or so it starts to play up.

The ECU is also reporting the Ignition Circuit error code.

Do those offers still stand fellas? I'm living just south of the CBD now so can head where ever really.

Lemme know if it's convenient for one of you this weekend.

Cheers,

- Ash.

Offers still up.

All though I've started to experience the odd pop myself. :D

Its fairly random but sounds very much like the start of a coil problem. :(

Give it a bit of stick through second one time its fine, the other i get a bit of pop pop pop pop... :P

If you think yours is coils i can prolly do you a deal and loan out my Splitfires in return mate. :blush:

Will continue this via PM to swap numbers etc. :yes:

No probs.. I missed the old mans call yesterday.

Interestingly I now no longer have what I thought was lifter pump up where after a hard rev it would drop a cylinder.

Instead it now has little pops through first, second occasionally pops and third & fourth never pops. :no:

As with a wot through third & fourth bring it hard up on boost in any gear with the foot on the brake and there are zero signs of ignition break down.

Who knows... Any way.. I'm stoked, It now pulls damn well to 6k where as before I was shifting up at around 5k in fear of what I thought was lifter pump up. <who knows> :D

Any time during this week is fine, I'm still a Uni bum so left me know when your available.

Thanks for all your help Cubes and the joyride :laugh:

Now to find someone who doesn't charge like a wounded bull for a replacement. NissWreck want nearly $300! :O

Just something to note guys, I wouldn't want to spend too much on a second hand ignitor, because there is a good chance that it will fail again in a fairly short timeframe, I've seen this kind of thing happen countless times.

If you don't want to risk having another failure, head down to petro-ject to get your's rebuilt (or if you're lucky you can swap it for one that already is). They put their own design circuit board with very robust ignition components in it & you get a 2 year warranty. It won't be cheap I'm sure (at least $300 like nisswreck), but if it does fail they will look after you.

My 2 cents

Edited by JazzaR33