SAU Community

Shipping Delays Into W.a And Compliancers

hey all, purchased an r32 gtr last night through prestige and have been told due to new car shipments it could miss the boat coming into perth and take up to 4 months, so it has been sudjested to go to sydney and have it complied then bring it back via road train, just wondering if anyone else importing into perth has heard anything like this, and lastly what are some decent compliance workshops in perth

http://www.prestigemotorsport.com.au/modul...hp?StockID=4041

Edited by Jolinator

Well, I can see where you made your first mistake.

Anyway, you need to ask Geoff what compliance shops there are in WA, or look it up on the DOTARS site. From what I understand this needs to be sorted BEFORE you ship the car.

I have heard of this being done. It is not uncommon for shops to effectively sell compliance to each other. Some GT-R's in WA have been complied over east because of a shortage of availability over here. It is ok to do it this way, but there are some key questions you need to ask:

Who is the shop?

How much are they charging for compliance?

How are you going to arrange rego?

Who is paying for the freight across from Vic/NSW?

What about the non standard gear - ie how are you going to get that?

Good luck with it & make sure your broker looks after you.

Edited by djr81

nice car. it's a mark hocking car. and from the looks of it inspected at prime garage. I met the owner of prime garage earlier this year in tokyo and he is a lovely guy very helpful. I'd suggest you wont have any problems with it as it looks very tidy and mark only buys good cars. It's a shame you couldn't have got it directly from mark but not to worry, it's no biggie.

as djr81 suggested you will need to look at the DOTARS site to get an idea of who has SEVS compliance around australia.

djr81 by first mistake, do you mean going through prestige? i found them to be the best, geoff has always been extremly helpfull and went out of his way for many months for me when i wasnt even a customer, unlike j spec who didnt reply emails and when they do its so late the car has been sold, so im quite happy through i went through. however im extremly new to importing so if there is something im missing?

beer baron, when i saw the name mark hocking on the invoice it actually worried me as that name rang a bell , i swear i herd that name mentioned as a bad trader someware, maybe not, its good to hear that.

i have put a deposit on the car until the 20th, so i still have a bit of time up my sleave, unfortunatly i have to pay for transfer costs from nsw to w.a, when i spoke to geoff, he sayed the guys he uses will fit up their stock parts and refit stuff like the airpods etc after, he assured me none of it would go missing, he mentioned compliance was a fair wack cheaper in nsw, but i am not home so i dont have the figures infront of me, i will check when im home

thinking about it, i kinda want it to come through perth so i can be in control of everything, but a 4 month wait would kill me,

rego i was going to do in perth when it got here, i will speak to geoff a little further,

cheers for the tips fellas :yes:

Edited by Jolinator

i think djr81 was hinting that if you just bought the car from mark hocking it would have been $1000 cheaper as you are now paying a broker fee ($1K to geoff) and FOB charge (~150,000yen to Mark). but in the grand scheme of things it's no big deal. I think you may have confused Mark hocking, with Mark Schuman people have posted some things about the second mark in the past.

where does geoff suggest complying it in sydney?

Yeah, well forum rules preclude me from expressing a full opinion.

But specifically, in this instance, what I am saying is that the compliance workshop needs to be found BEFORE you buy a car.

What you now have to work out is the cost of transport ex East and compare this with shipping the car in a container (As opposed to on a car transport). You may find there is little in it.

I suggest getting on the phone to your broker & demanding from him a list of compliance workshops, their location, costs for compliance/transport & the timeframe for doing the work in a given manner. After all that is what you are paying him $1100 for.

No point having a dog & then doing all the barking yourself.

• 4 weeks later...

Autoworx in Wangara do compliance for R32's. They also have some basic standard parts that you can use to get your car complied. Give them a ring and speak to Paul. Imports 101 also do compliancing for R32's as well I believe so speak to Danny there.

when mine was complied in nsw it would have been $81 cheaper to have it complied in perth that included road freighting fromnsw to perth via TNT but at that stage no one here had raws for r 32

Compliance does not have to be organised before you purchase the car. Do not know where you go that from :dry:

However if you talk to the compliance workshop once you have purchased it and set a date for import, they will organise import approval for you.

If it is going to take 4 months, the best thing you can do is enquire is to how long it would take if u had compliance done in the eastern states and for it to be delivered to you in WA. Then weigh up whether it is worth the extra cash.

4 months however is only about 1 month longer than normally how long it takes, so yeh...delays suck, but they have to be expected.

I think it is best to sort out your compliance shop before you buy the car. Strictly speaking, it is not mandatory, but it is by far the better practice. Otherwise you can get into stupid situations like the one shown above and end up incurring delays and possibly having to spend more than you think because of additional transport costs etc.

However, it has to be done before you ship it.

But in any case it is a good idea to have all your ducks in a row before starting to spend money.

I completely agree with DJR81, you really need to have all your homework done beforehand, so it leaves less to chance, and less to get ripped off.

My car was complianced in Melb and then i TNT'd it to Perth, a costly exercise.

I bought it 18 months ago and there werent too many 32 GTR's for sale in WA

Having said that, I later found that it would have been cheaper to get my complianced here in WA, ho hum.

But I'm interested in why you bought a 32 GTR to import ? These days there are so many for sale in WA and i think people are hurting trying to sell them.

There are a few bargains around.

All in all your car looks very clean and tidy, so good luck :(