SAU Community

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

What the hell is this topic about?

Drag car engines? The rb26 Vs the jz. Both these motors are the wrong weapon of choice to build an outright drag car around for the sake of drag racing, doing low times and nothing else. I'll have one of those sainty 3 valve topfuel engines thanks.

There are plenty of different categories in drag racing and to each his own. Each type offers a different experience and cost. People who try to drag race 4wd skylines in the pure sense of drag racing are up against it. Clearly these people enjoy the challenge to see how fast they can get a a rather difficult drivetrain config to go in a drag racing environment. It would be far easier to just ditch the IRS, full chasis and tub a GTR to go much faster but, thats not what these people are about. I think perhaps they enjoy the added thrill of having the front driven wheels trying to pull them into the concrete barriers.

Now for the same wierd reasons people in these GTR's with Rb26's might like to retain that particular motor in the spirit of all things nissan. Hence they tend not to take them out to put JZ series engines in, which to be honest isn't the best choice for a power upgrade if that was the aim.

Drag car engines? The rb26 Vs the jz. Both these motors are the wrong weapon of choice to build an outright drag car around for the sake of drag racing, doing low times and nothing else. I'll have one of those sainty 3 valve topfuel engines thanks.

There are plenty of different categories in drag racing and to each his own. Each type offers a different experience and cost. People who try to drag race 4wd skylines in the pure sense of drag racing are up against it. Clearly these people enjoy the challenge to see how fast they can get a a rather difficult drivetrain config to go in a drag racing environment. It would be far easier to just ditch the IRS, full chasis and tub a GTR to go much faster but, thats not what these people are about. I think perhaps they enjoy the added thrill of having the front driven wheels trying to pull them into the concrete barriers.

Now for the same wierd reasons people in these GTR's with Rb26's might like to retain that particular motor in the spirit of all things nissan. Hence they tend not to take them out to put JZ series engines in, which to be honest isn't the best choice for a power upgrade if that was the aim.

its a thread that was started cause a moderator didnt like the other thread which should have been locked or deleted to have a slow death, but instead singled out my post to start yet another dumb arse thread.

I think fair example might be Rockos performance rx7, standard 2j, runs mid 8s, tough, even though its in a Mazda, just gos to show that the straight sixes are gaining respect from the drag racing community that was prodominantly v8s and rotarys.

hang on, are we talking about head flow or capacity or turbo size or fuel or 4wd or rwd?

titan runs their equivlient of sport rwd if you read the NHRA sport compact rule book, their rules are the same as the ones we play by, as our rule book is a direct copy of theirs. so is it an even footing, maybe not but they have the same opporunities within the rules. theo runs the same turbo as the titan supra a t88 38gk the supra doesnt run a Gt55, their pro rwd scion and celica run Gt55 according to the titan website

post-20078-1153192777.jpg

Edited by BezerkR32

I think fair example might be Rockos performance rx7, standard 2j, runs mid 8s, tough, even though its in a Mazda, just gos to show that the straight sixes are gaining respect from the drag racing community that was prodominantly v8s and rotarys.

and its only a 2jzge N/A motor not a turbo motor.

so its runs high compression and no oil squirters like its GTE cousin.

Exactly. Very well said. If only I could go back 5 years with what I now know! The problem with many "drag cars" is that they start out as nice street cars & somewhere the line between street & drag becomes blurred.

I have a very tidy R33 GTR that has only 20,000 genuine kms & was a beautiful streetable 10 sec car. I had "old shcool" drag cars in the past & got out of them because I couldn't use them on the street & was at the mercy of the local track's schedule. My GTR is now totally unusable as a street car, has been off the road for years due to a lack of interest, money, & a place to race it (AIR has been closed for ages) & now, after a long struggle, we have finally got it ready. If I had used my brains & foreseen the huge amount of money & time that was going to go into this car & what sort of times it was going to pull once finished, I never would have done it. Of course, I now have no choice & will race the car as soon as I can, & have great fun doing so, but if I was going to set out building a dedicated drag car from the start it would never have been a Skyline GTR - It would have been a BA falcon or VZ Monaro body with a Keith black V8, massive rear slicks, & been running 7 seconds with some type of reliability & cost a lot less money than the Nissan.

Fast GTRs are awesome fun to drag race & very challenging, but at the end of the day, the small capacity engine, the 4WD system, the banger style clutches, & the weight of these cars are huge drawbacks if it is only going to be used at the drag track. The great thing about GTRs is their street & circuit racing capabilities & it is in these places the Skyline is a supercar. I am not surprised there are so few other GTRs in Australia running into the nines - it is just not good value for money.

A small handful of die-hards (including me) will soldier on because we have passed the point of no return, & because we are addicted to fighting the cars all the way down the track, & lots of Skyline fans will love to watch because they are entertaining to see.

I heard my GTR run today for the first time in 3 1/2 years & it sounded awesome running on methanol.

Pity that we have nowhere to race in Adelaide. Looks like I might be buying a container.

Munro,

everyone seems to end up that way in drag racing.

I notice there are quite a few old blokes racing the nitro equiped buggies ,perhaps it's what awaits you in retirement, sitting in front of a top fueler? :wave:

Exactly. Very well said. If only I could go back 5 years with what I now know! The problem with many "drag cars" is that they start out as nice street cars & somewhere the line between street & drag becomes blurred.

I have a very tidy R33 GTR that has only 20,000 genuine kms & was a beautiful streetable 10 sec car. I had "old shcool" drag cars in the past & got out of them because I couldn't use them on the street & was at the mercy of the local track's schedule. My GTR is now totally unusable as a street car, has been off the road for years due to a lack of interest, money, & a place to race it (AIR has been closed for ages) & now, after a long struggle, we have finally got it ready. If I had used my brains & foreseen the huge amount of money & time that was going to go into this car & what sort of times it was going to pull once finished, I never would have done it. Of course, I now have no choice & will race the car as soon as I can, & have great fun doing so, but if I was going to set out building a dedicated drag car from the start it would never have been a Skyline GTR - It would have been a BA falcon or VZ Monaro body with a Keith black V8, massive rear slicks, & been running 7 seconds with some type of reliability & cost a lot less money than the Nissan.

Fast GTRs are awesome fun to drag race & very challenging, but at the end of the day, the small capacity engine, the 4WD system, the banger style clutches, & the weight of these cars are huge drawbacks if it is only going to be used at the drag track. The great thing about GTRs is their street & circuit racing capabilities & it is in these places the Skyline is a supercar. I am not surprised there are so few other GTRs in Australia running into the nines - it is just not good value for money.

A small handful of die-hards (including me) will soldier on because we have passed the point of no return, & because we are addicted to fighting the cars all the way down the track, & lots of Skyline fans will love to watch because they are entertaining to see.

I heard my GTR run today for the first time in 3 1/2 years & it sounded awesome running on methanol.

Pity that we have nowhere to race in Adelaide. Looks like I might be buying a container.

What a great post, one of the best I have read on SAU. It’s because of John and others like him that we have Sports Compact drag racing with GTR’s. I don’t go to race meetings unless I am crewing, but if you get your mate with the silver GTR to come along to WSID, I’ll make an exception and be there to see a side by side 8.

:( cheers ;)

My GTR is turnkey & ready to go save for a small issue with the new Turbo - should be dynoed & ready within a couple of weeks.

Keir & I have discussed taking the GTRs to Kwinana for the Drag Wars meeting in November, past that I am not sure.

We sure would like to run 8 seconds together on the same pass.

My car only ran 9.4 back in April 2003 (last time I raced it!) so I am just

keen to see an 8.99 or 2 first & get used to the car before we push it

too hard.

hey Adrian, fiddy of what?