SAU Community

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

What the hell is this topic about?

Drag car engines? The rb26 Vs the jz. Both these motors are the wrong weapon of choice to build an outright drag car around for the sake of drag racing, doing low times and nothing else. I'll have one of those sainty 3 valve topfuel engines thanks.

There are plenty of different categories in drag racing and to each his own. Each type offers a different experience and cost. People who try to drag race 4wd skylines in the pure sense of drag racing are up against it. Clearly these people enjoy the challenge to see how fast they can get a a rather difficult drivetrain config to go in a drag racing environment. It would be far easier to just ditch the IRS, full chasis and tub a GTR to go much faster but, thats not what these people are about. I think perhaps they enjoy the added thrill of having the front driven wheels trying to pull them into the concrete barriers.

Now for the same wierd reasons people in these GTR's with Rb26's might like to retain that particular motor in the spirit of all things nissan. Hence they tend not to take them out to put JZ series engines in, which to be honest isn't the best choice for a power upgrade if that was the aim.

How are these GTR people different to the guys in Chevs and Monaros 30/40 years ago??? You cant tell me a 2200kg Chev Impala is a perfect car to use as a base as a drag car. These cars start off as a daily driver and progress to a more serious drag car as the mods pile up. I have owned and raced dragsters and big HP big blocks and they arent all there cracked up to be either ,and as for those Sainty engines how can you compare a megga $$$$$ drag only engine to an RB26??? Not all of us have the $$$$ to throw at such an expensive piece of kit-just ask Mickey Atholwood about burning hundred dollar bills like they are going out of fashion-at least the GTR's make it past the 60 foot mark without having a $30000 explosion

How are these GTR people different to the guys in Chevs and Monaros 30/40 years ago??? You cant tell me a 2200kg Chev Impala is a perfect car to use as a base as a drag car. These cars start off as a daily driver and progress to a more serious drag car as the mods pile up. I have owned and raced dragsters and big HP big blocks and they arent all there cracked up to be either ,and as for those Sainty engines how can you compare a megga $$$$$ drag only engine to an RB26??? Not all of us have the $$$$ to throw at such an expensive piece of kit-just ask Mickey Atholwood about burning hundred dollar bills like they are going out of fashion-at least the GTR's make it past the 60 foot mark without having a $30000 explosion

I'm not sure you got the point I initially was making. I don't think we disagree about the ideas you mention either but,

I 'can' tell you a chev impala is the perfect car to base a drag car on. I'm sure someone through drag history has had great fun piloting an impala for impala's sake as a drag car. For that matter why not a bus? It's all about enjoyment. Hence I was suggesting the JZ engine swap in the spirit of going faster was not really the point of racing a GTR for many. But then again if someone wants to poke a bit of fun why not? People in the GM and Ford camp have done it for years to get a rise out of the opposition, it's good for a laugh.

I think if I could ignor third world poverty and had the unlimited cash I would have a great deal of fun in the process of destroying a $30k on the odd occasion and burning $4k worth of fuel a meet in a top fuel car.Life styles of the rich and fearless. Big or small we all break stuff, thats racing as they say.

Every form of racing is a way of setting fire to cash. Unless you make a business proposition out of it :D

I'm not sure you got the point I initially was making. I don't think we disagree about the ideas you mention either but,

I 'can' tell you a chev impala is the perfect car to base a drag car on. I'm sure someone through drag history has had great fun piloting an impala for impala's sake as a drag car. For that matter why not a bus? It's all about enjoyment. Hence I was suggesting the JZ engine swap in the spirit of going faster was not really the point of racing a GTR for many. But then again if someone wants to poke a bit of fun why not? People in the GM and Ford camp have done it for years to get a rise out of the opposition, it's good for a laugh.

I think if I could ignor third world poverty and had the unlimited cash I would have a great deal of fun in the process of destroying a $30k on the odd occasion and burning $4k worth of fuel a meet in a top fuel car.Life styles of the rich and fearless. Big or small we all break stuff, thats racing as they say.

Every form of racing is a way of setting fire to cash. Unless you make a business proposition out of it :D

Sounds like we were on the same page the whole time :D

Every form of racing is a way of setting fire to cash. Unless you make a business proposition out of it :(

That's just cars in general isn't it?

I caught myself looking at R34 GTR's a couple times recently but it was only sitting down and running the car related future through my head that stopped me. As if I would leave it stock! I feel really stupid.

Still, the current beast is booked in for $1500 worth of work on monday, which I'm sure doesn't compare to you big boys but I can't stop myself.

ps can I have my trophy for fastest white 4 door auto R34 now please?

ps can I have my trophy for fastest white 4 door auto R34 now please?

Only if you make the title longer. Like;

Fastest white R34 4-door with an MV Auotmatics box, on 17" Nittos with personalised number plates and a guy named Adam driving it

IN THE WHOLE UNIVERSE!!!

Good points, however an Impala is 1800 kgs, not 2200 kgs. I got my weight slip from the Auburn standard weighbridge and was surprised. Kinda puts the loaded Commodore ETs into perspective.

post-11409-1154395027.jpg