SAU Community

Hsv Astra Vxr/xr5t In Motor Mag

i was kinda thinking.. i did a 13.1 @ 105 mph (thats somethign like 160 or so kz) how could a pissy 5cyl fwd focus be slower on et by faster on km/h ? motor mag is gay.

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ah so a typo. Typical. They always get figures mixed up. I was beginning to think that out of the box these cars are friggin quick. No shit! Stupid mag. I bet a few people will begin to think these are street weapons etc.

i can see it now, its a vision,a mazda 3 boosted to the sh!thouse! imagine the Nm.

i reckon they look great and would be a blast to drive. one does wonder what they would be like with a few mods.

Hahahaa at least wheels and motor actually know something about cars unlike say.

Posters on skylinesaustralia or Fast 4's or Hot 4's.

Those magazines just go on about how it has a sub woofer and a retrimed interior and how fully sick the cars are.

All the journalists from wheels and motor would be more tallented drivers than just about anyone who comes to this site without a doubt.

The comments about Motor mag sucking are a bit rich. If you don't like it don't buy it. I'm happy as ever and have been subscribing for almost 5 years now. They do make mistakes every once in a while but if you actually read the article (the sign of a car enthusiast?) you'll see, as someone already said, that the actual times are way slower.

Though having a go at SAU members is worse.

Yeah Motor is a good read. They are always doing good comparos between cars. But they do have their errors here and there. A few dynocharts mixed up is what I notice most!

I wanna see that Top Gear episode where the VXR is faster than the M5 with the 500hp V10? Hmmm.. I dont think there is a contest :wave:

The timing hardware that Motor use grab the 1/4 mile trap speed as the instantaneous velocity at the 400m mark, whereas timing hardware at the local drag strip will give you an average speed over the last few meters. So Motor will always have a higher trap than the local drags. Also, Motor's hardware starts timing at the instant you start moving forward, rather than when you cross the timing beams, so Motor will always have slower ET's than the local drag strip due to roll out factor. Having said that, it's only worth maybe 1/10th or two, and maybe 1-2mph at most I recon. And I have found no evidence to show that strapping Motor timing hardware on your hot hatch will transform it into a high powered German roadster, like (say) an SLK55 or Z4M :blink:

For the record, actual times were 6.7 and 14.75 for the Astra, 7.5 and 15.38 for the Focus, according to the article text.

They must measure it wrong the speed you get when you go to the track is lower than the speed you are doing when you cross the finish line. for example my r33 gtech with gtech 112mph at the track 105mph.

cheers

i can see it now, its a vision,a mazda 3 boosted to the sh!thouse! imagine the Nm.

i reckon they look great and would be a blast to drive. one does wonder what they would be like with a few mods.

The MZR 2.3 turbo engine in the Mazda 6 MPS (same engine in the 3) runs just under 16psi stock through the little K04 turbo.

stock forged internals ftw.

Dad just got his 6 MPS the other day. 380Nm of torque @ 2800rpm feels like a mountain of torque, particularly with the 4wd

Lucky the have the torque limiter in 1st and 2nd gear in the 3, otherwise torquesteer madness

:dry:

Yeah Motor is a good read. They are always doing good comparos between cars. But they do have their errors here and there. A few dynocharts mixed up is what I notice most!

I wanna see that Top Gear episode where the VXR is faster than the M5 with the 500hp V10? Hmmm.. I dont think there is a contest :dry:

part 1:

http://youtube.com/watch?v=B6UrigjFYD8

part 2:

http://youtube.com/watch?v=2n_CkHoWc6s