AlexR34

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So register, n00b.............

for those who are too lazy, here is a small extract of the thread:

There are other bits and pieces but this is the general jist of it:

You are correct in quoting the code of practice , as long as the airfilter/pod is fitted and secure and emmission requirements for that make and model are complied with, you should have no problems when intercepted.

It is up the owner of the vehicle of the vehicle to ensure that all emmission requirements are met. (This can be achieved with a letter from the manufacturer)I do know that there is new testing equipment being trialed in Brisbane to measure emmissions, after this trial they will be used state wide.

From my experiance most infringement notices issued, are not from emmissions or fittment of accessories but due to they way the vehicle was being operated. ie undue noise by mannor of operation.Usually resulting as a complaint from the public.

I notice that you have quoted sect 291 of torums, another act/ regulation that may be useful is the vehicle standards act and regulations .Hope this has answered your enquirey, if you require more info drop in to the qld transport inspection centre and I will be happy to go into it in more depth if you want.

Sif you would! Hey please do, then we could turn the "correctional facilities" carpark into a skid pan.

Honestly I really dont know why that place needs a 100+ car spot carpark.......

Anyway, back on topic, the way I understood the QLD transport inspector's reply was that QLD Police cant issue a defect notice purely on the fact that there is an aftermarket air filter installed, PROVDING it is fitted and secured, and that the emmission requirements for that make and model are complied with and that it does not produce any undue, irregular or loud noise.

The undue noise is then covered by another section of torum(s)

The Transport Operations (Road Use Management-Road Rules) Regulation 1999 raises issues in relation to devices fitted to motor vehicles and excessive noise emitted from motor vehicles, and is as follows:

Making unnecessary noise or smoke

S 291 (1) A person must not:

(a) start a vehicle, or drive a vehicle, in a way that makes unnecessary noise or smoke; or

(b) wilfully start a vehicle, or drive a vehicle, in a way that makes unnecessary noise or smoke.

Example of subsection (1)(a):

Driving a vehicle in a way that causes noise or smoke because of:

(a) disrepair of the vehicle; or

(b) the way the vehicle is loaded; or

© the condition, construction or adjustment of the vehicle’s engine or other equipment.

Example of subsection (1)(b):

Driving a vehicle in a way that causes noise or smoke by wilfully and unnecessarily causing the wheels of the vehicle to lose traction and spin on the road surface.

S 291 (2) A person must not drive a vehicle to which a noisy instrument

is attached or on which a noisy instrument is used.

S 291 (3) The driver of a vehicle or a passenger in or on the vehicle must

not:

(a) ring a bell or sound a horn, except a horn or similar warning device under section 224; or

(b) play or use a noisy instrument.

It would seem appropriate that the Road Rules legislation is relevant to vehicles equipped with these devices and which are modified to allow excessive noise to be emitted. The Queensland Police Service should be utilizing the Road Rules to enforce the issue, and, the owner would need to remove the device to avoid continually being issued with infringement notices.

Also if you resgister for that site you can ask QLD transport questions about modifications and the like and they will be answered officially by QLD transport.

God this country has to much rules, why cant there be one simple rule for one simple piece of equipment. for every piece of equipent there are 30 different rules and 30 different loop holes i mean honestly unless you work at the inspection place how can u keep up with all these rules.

Venting to atmo falls under the same rules as above.

Technially you are altering your stock setup, in a fasion that produces more noise than what a stock setup would make, and that can be defected because you have modified it to make more noise.

What the hell do they class as a noisy instrument?

Exhaust brake on trucks?

air bag suspension on buses?

Louder than stock exhaust?

Exactly but they arnt defaults, my pod makes noise, and i have no intention of changing it

Yeah I agree, but would not know why Harley's and wannabe harleys arent defected, might be a question to ask QLD transport on the link I posted.

Once you register, anything you ask QLD transport will be officially answered.

I was always told that if you have a pod, it must be secured properly. Please note: ZIPTIES do not count on this one fellas! :cheers:

I was also told that they must be boxed, due to them being a 'potential fire hazard'.

i think the cops and qld transport guys value their lives a bit more than that, and figure the possible outcomes of getting in the bikies bad books outways the noise factor.

and you can't vent a wastegate to the atmo because of the fact that exhaust gases aren't being put through the cat converter. exhaust noise is a secondary reason. i'm not 100% sure, but i think the fine could be similar to the fine for not having a cat (which is huge) but someone who has been booked for it could say for sure.

and a pod must have a mounting bracket. my mate got pulled over by the boondal hoon squad and they didn't book him for it (he had a bracket) so he asked them what the ruling was and they said that as long as it has a fixed bracket it is fine. but they didn't book him for cutting the front bar when he put the cooler in.

another mate got done for having a steering wheel that was too small.