SAU Community

Advice From Gtr Owners - Plleeaasee!

Hi All,

I've been thinking very seriously lately of getting myself a late model R32 GTR (93-94 only). Now, so I don't rush into any decisions I've gone and bought myself a cheap car to get around in till I import what I really want!

This is my dream car and I will be driving it every chance I get, including to work.

The initial outlay is not really my concern, it's more some of the horror stories I keep hearing about $6000 engine blow ups etc. While I will be looking for the cleanest example possible, I'm just worried about things that could go wrong, and something like an engine rebuild that's gonna be 6k is not something I can really afford! I expect any car of this age to have problems, but are stories such as these exaggerations or the harsh reality?

I think I've already basically answered my own question unfortunately, but I'd really apreciate any advice that you past or present GTR owners can provide!!

Thanks,

Justin.

Hi All,

I've been thinking very seriously lately of getting myself a late model R32 GTR (93-94 only). Now, so I don't rush into any decisions I've gone and bought myself a cheap car to get around in till I import what I really want!

This is my dream car and I will be driving it every chance I get, including to work.

The initial outlay is not really my concern, it's more some of the horror stories I keep hearing about $6000 engine blow ups etc. While I will be looking for the cleanest example possible, I'm just worried about things that could go wrong, and something like an engine rebuild that's gonna be 6k is not something I can really afford! I expect any car of this age to have problems, but are stories such as these exaggerations or the harsh reality?

I think I've already basically answered my own question unfortunately, but I'd really apreciate any advice that you past or present GTR owners can provide!!

Thanks,

Justin.

Reality unfortunatly

I bought one, in the first 2 weeks spent loads on it (way more than 6k) then drove it round

A broken engine mount caused me to snap 3 cv joints and driveshafts (thats not cheap, driveshafts fron Nissan are 900 each, cv's are 220) about 6 months ago

Last month, spun a bearing, now here comes a rebuild

Great fun, when they work

My advice? Buy one thats been well looked after, and is in good order, or buy the cheapest one out there, and use the difference in purchase price to do a rebuild straight away on it

Also do a search for this, theres heaps of threads about this from other GTR owners :D

Buy 1 that is already in the country that u can see, touch and drive before handing over any cash. Their are some nice 93-94's out there, you just have to be patient.

I wasnt going to buy 1 unless it was a very clean 93-94 so I bit the bullet and paid the big money upfront and so far it's been a dream run with a great engine.

Edited by benm

Buy one that's already had an engine rebuild.

Do a proper mechanical test and you'll be laughing.

The horror stories you here usually relate to imports that the buyers did not see/drive prior to purchase.

Good Luck!

Thanks all!

Ben M, you're right, it's either going to be a very clean 93 or 94 or nothing. I'm currently looking into importing, but I'm just not convinced at this stage whether the risk is worth the saving.

From what I've been reading around here, fuel consumption isn't too bad considering the performance on offer, insurance is quite reasonable (I've already had quotes), and general maintenance shouldn't be too bad. The only thing that's really scaring me is the money pit side of things that N1GTR has experienced!

We were in the same situation as you about three years ago we ended up buying a R33GTR we had it three hours after purchase and the engine blew up cracked a piston and done a bearing but since we have had the rebuild and put forged pistons in and the rebuild was done very well we have had no problems since so all I can say is get one that has had a rebuild and you see the reciepts and check out the workshop or get one and be prepared for the worst ;)

GTR are alot of fun and a excellent car to own but they do break :whistling:

Hope you get one and it all goes well :laugh:

theres not much you can do except get a full inspection , compression , leak tests and hope for the best .

if your prepared to pay 25-30k for a realy good 93/94 r32 then there are some good clean examples that will give you the best chance of reliable motoring . if you spend 20 or less good luck .

I looked around for 2 years and got a 94 V spec II, it came to Aus in 2000 so it only lived in Japan for 6 years. 1st owner had it for 3 years and i have had it for 3 years in that time the only thing to go wrong was the stock turbos and that was a $3000 fix. The car has been good as gold.

Jason.

You get what you pay for pretty much. Unless you plan on throwing cash at it get one thats in very good condition and has been looked after. Also I'd try and get as newer one as possible, problems tend to come with age. I was originally looking at buying an R32 but found it hard to find one in good condition (by my standards) so i went to R33 GTR, started looking at 95 models but ended up buying a late 97 model.

Try to find one that has not been modified, no boost controllers, exhausts or pod filters. gives you a small hint on the cars backround. I had a customer buy one from an importer in melbourne, had aftermarket boost controller on it. broke ring lands on 4 pistons 4 weeks later. the japs like to drive them hard too. Be very careful with the warranty you have also as it does not cover some mechanical failure or turbos. and usually only pay up to $4000. His bill was about $6500. That was for an exchange engine + parts & R&R. he got lucky as i did the job for nothing and kept the blown engine, but he could have been $2500 out of pocket.

Warranty mob were pricks also, constant phone calls to Melbourne for about 4 weeks before they finally coughed up, was a nightmare experience but all is good now. Hard to no if there is any underlying mechanical weaknesses due to previous abuse. Car was running fine when he got it and drove it back to Sydney, but a few weeks of fun put the final nail in the coffin. Probably best to expect to have to spend some money on it.

On the flip side i have customers running modified turbo setups on 18psi with no problems, its a bit of a lottery. good luck with it. they are the best value for money sports car on the market for around $20k and are lots of fun when running well.

Buy one that's already had an engine rebuild.

Do a proper mechanical test and you'll be laughing.

The horror stories you here usually relate to imports that the buyers did not see/drive prior to purchase.

Good Luck!

I bought mine in Perth to save on the wait of importing and the possible high cost of compliance and chance of rebuilding. As said above get one you can see and drive and has possibly had a rebuild. Mine foretunately had had a rebuild 6,000kms before I bought it and the owner showed me the $7,500 worth of receipts for it.

As you probably know already a late '93 (August) and onwards will quite likely be a V-Spec model GTR. Good luck with the search and as you have a basher you don't need to jump right in.

Hey all, thank you so much for all the advice so far, it is very much appreciated!

I'm going to keep reading up and have a look at a few local examples and then chat with a few importers before I make a decision. I've just picked up a new daily driver today, and am in absolutely no rush to get a GTR until I'm positive about what I'm getting in to! I don't think my kids will appreciate being told they can't eat today coz daddy just bought a dodgy one that becomes a money pit and has to rebuild an engine, gearbox etc!!!! Really, they're just being selfish though!

I have another post on here about this.

if it has had a rebuild:

-make sure it has all legitimiate reciepts

-if anything doesnt look right it usually isnt

-if your going to import it... seriously fly to japan if you have to, to check it out, $2k on that is better than not getting everything you paid for.

i would look for one with least mods but the best kept history.

the only way to garuantee everything is ok... get one here and from a dealer, then get a warranty. most problems arise sooner rather than later. if you do import it, i would get a cheaper one and witht he saved money put it aside for the reuild, if you expect the worst and do your homework then you will be much happier.

I have another post on here about this.

if it has had a rebuild:

-make sure it has all legitimiate reciepts

-if anything doesnt look right it usually isnt

-if your going to import it... seriously fly to japan if you have to, to check it out, $2k on that is better than not getting everything you paid for.

i would look for one with least mods but the best kept history.

the only way to garuantee everything is ok... get one here and from a dealer, then get a warranty. most problems arise sooner rather than later. if you do import it, i would get a cheaper one and witht he saved money put it aside for the reuild, if you expect the worst and do your homework then you will be much happier.

Thanks flyying. As you say, I will be looking for the most standard example possible. Having said that though, it's almost impossible to find a standard one, they all seem to have an exhaust, pod filters, etc as a minimum.

If I do go the import route, I think I will be getting the cheapest one out there, expect the worse and at least what I've saved can go towards a rebuild. In doing that though, no matter what is fixed the car will never be as nice as an example that's been properly looked after...

Beware some mechanics guessing things about them!

this wont apply to most because you live in capital cities and should have acces to Better informed mechanic's etc...

My cars is fairly good alround ,its the small things like a rear turbo dump leak that get you because of the complexity of getting to it ..

I seriously do not Advise buying a cheap one unless you totaly understand whats wrong and costs involved first. and even then it will be more accoriding to Murphy's!

the only way to garuantee everything is ok... get one here and from a dealer, then get a warranty....

Around the time I bought mine last year there was a few around at dealers and the average asking price was around $28k for fairly stock R32 GTR's :(. They may have lowered the prices a year on though.

$22k is about the norm know. wouldnt pay much more than that unless i knew it was mint.

Around the time I bought mine last year there was a few around at dealers and the average asking price was around $28k for fairly stock R32 GTR's :wave:. They may have lowered the prices a year on though.