SAU Community

Hello All, I Have Recently Purchased A Leakdown Tester

boostn32

Hi all, i have purchased a quality leakdown tester and compression gauge to check the condition of my engine during run in. I can provide this service to anyone around the SEQ area, sunshine coast to gold coast. Im not here very often due to internet problems atm, but any one interested you can contact me on 0421434955. let me know what u want done and i can gve you a price.

Thanks Luke

Leakdown testers are way cool. Not only does the amount of air escaping from the cylinder register on the gauge, it can also be heard, enabling the source of the leak to be pinpointed prior to the teardown. For example, high readings accompanied by hissing in the intake manifold indicate burnt, tight, or carboned-up intake valves; the same thing in a muffler, points toward--you guessed it--exhaust valves. A breeze coming out of the dipstick hole on the other hand indicates worn or heat-softened rings. And air escaping from an adjacent spark plug hole pinpoints a blown head gasket.

A leakdown tester uses compressed air and the engine is off during the test, it can pin point where the problem is if there is one, where as compression testing requires the engine to be turned over and only gives u a compression reading and does not pin point what is wrong.

Its a simple test that requires the removal of spark plugs and fitting the hose and gauges to each spark plug hole, each cylinder needs to be at TDC on compression stroke during each test. The cylinder is then filled with compressed air and the gauge will indicate how much leakage there is in that cylinder.

Time varies with each engine.

Edited by boostn32