SAU Community

Drift Australia Round 2 Telecast This Sunday

B @ DA

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

well, more of our famous Dan in action would be good.....not enough coverage of your car. Had a glimps of you driving away lol.

One thing I find interesting is the type of turns they use for drift. In the japanese series, they seem to use faster corners, but here, it seems they use smaller and slower corners. maybe its just me

Was good.. not sure about calling everyone by their nicknames everytime.. was amusing listening to it.. Oh.. and to much of the Monaro.. It's great that it makes big smoke.. but that's not all of it!!..

Maybe do some other stuff focusing on the cars.. give people a run down on a couple of them.. engine.. turbo.. mods.. power.. this and that..

Great to watch though..

definitely too much monaro talk.............."OOOOOHHHH look at that smoke coming out of the corner"

well, duh, 800hp, what did you expect when you plant your foot down. and it was a bit weak pitting hte v8 against the 86. should've had a power to weight ratio restraint to even up the playing field.

i thought that the coverabe of the top 16 was pretty good. and they done well to cover the event in the hour that they had. i felt a little like the commentators didnt have a strong background in the sport (sounded as they had a v8 background with the 'the monaro has 800hp, oh did i mention that the monaro has 800hp), but hey, they can commentate, and you have to start somewhere.

and i felt that they didnt capture the feelings of a drift event, how its a lot less serious off the track. the drivers were bagging each other and the non-jap cars running, but they didnt present that as humerous.

would have been nice to see more on the cars, but they just dont have the time to do a coverage on them, or the people. i think the only engine i saw was the 33 that spun a bearing?

but was good to watch, the coverage of drift events on the tele is too far...

Let's hope that they keep continuity with this series and not let it

become another holden/ford marketing ploy, like they did in the 90's! :(

It's ok to use local market cars to boost public interest, but I fear the inevitable, again.

i didn't watch this but i've watched the coverage before and let me just say if ever i'm at an event and the bloke standing next to me goes: "under under under" I will kick him sqaure in the nuts. especially as they often seem a little confused as to what is understeer, what is oversteer and what is just balls out drifting.

Lingering - probably depends on the tracks?..

Dan - what's your entry speeds compared to some of the Jap drifting guys?

The biggest thing would be the tracks and their layouts in Aust, it is really difficult to find a good track with a number of fast corners in a row...

My initiation speeds vary, from 120km/h up to 160km/h depending on the distance you have to the first turn from the start line. The thing that changes is that generally the Jap guys go straight into a open corner, some tighten late, but usually there is an opportunity to get a nice big 4th gear drift going before you get to that point. Most of the tracks we run on you have to slow right down and then build speed.

Eastern Creek is going to be the closest to a Jap Track IMHO that we have ever run, a big fast sweeping right hander into a slightly tighter left, a little straight to build some speed, with the big chalange to stay sideways (we will make this look easy of course!), before lighting them up all the way through 12 and onto the straight!

I can't wait for the weekend... gonna kick arse!

Dan.

How was the overall coverage though peeps? feed back to what you like is really important.

I saw it on Sunday and i though that the whole coverage was "good".

Im not a drift expert, so im comparing this to all the jap dvds ive seen in my life.

The good things to say about Sundays event was that it is great to see that they are finally broadcasting events like this on Australian Tv (even if it is only on SBS). Lets hope it gets as big as the V8 Super cars, then they can kick the Fords and Holdens out of the comp. ;) .

I definately like the idea of the chase car. Makes us "lounge room drifters" feel like we are part of the whole thing.

I felt that the camera angles focused too much on the cars (well on the lead car in the frame rather than both cars), which is not entirely a bad thing. But i would rather it focus more on thr approach, corner and exit, than on just the cars in the corner with smoke all around. They didnt focus on the "battle" of both cars. It felt like you were watching one car drift, then the second car follow.

When you watch the D1 dvds you see the whole thing. When the cars come in, it goes to a focus on the car and as it enters the corner and starts the drift, it pans out to view the whole corner and then it follows the car out. And when you are watching, you feel tense because you can see both cars in the corners battling it out.

I think that because Australian tv is new to drift, they focus on the wrong thing. I felt they focused too much on the whole "V8 Smoke show" or "...and check out the smoke from the rear tyres of the car".

I also felt that the commentators were not educated or passionate enough to be commentating on this event.

Im not saying that they are bad, i cant do better, but i felt that they were not getting excited enough to make me wanna keep on watching. If i wasnt into Jap cars or if i wasnt rooting for the 33, i probably would off went outside and got some much needed sunshine.

When you watch things like the football or V8s or F1s, you can sense their passion. In the D1 comps, even tho you cant understand the commentators, the way they get excited and the way that the camera angles are shown, makes you get excited too. You get disappointed when the 70min dvd has finished.

I think it also has to do with their knowledge of the sport. I feel that the commentators have to know more about the sport in order to communicate to the viewing public what drifting is alll about.

* What kind of things are the judges looking for when they award points?

* Why did this driver get 2 points and the other 8?

* Why did they put these car up against the other car?

* What is drifting all about?

A little bit of knowledge can lead to alot of interest from an uneducated public.

I also thought that their was not enough about the cars and drivers, but maybe that was because of it only being an hour long time slot.

But as i said, im not an expert. I compare to the dvds ive seen, and i gotta tell you when the 60min program was finished i throught "well that was ok". Although i did get disappointed that the Skyline didnt get the round win which he deserved. :)

i didn't watch this but i've watched the coverage before and let me just say if ever i'm at an event and the bloke standing next to me goes: "under under under" I will kick him sqaure in the nuts. especially as they often seem a little confused as to what is understeer, what is oversteer and what is just balls out drifting.

bahahahahaha

Thanks guys, keep it coming... I have emailed the series directors to come and have a look at this thread... so hopefully your constructive feedback can help us put on a better show!

Perhaps the coverage could include some rudimentary instruction, with some

footage and voice over, to educate the masses on what actually is under/over/push/power slide, etc.

Something like what you see with golf coverage with a pro's swing in slo-mo or in league/union

where they dissect a try.

This would give the steerer's a little more respect for their skill level, so they are not just thought of as

'hoons doing burnout' down at the local carpark.

Also, why they use predominately Japanese imported cars and not Euro's, etc. :D

Thanks for the feedback guys and please keep it coming. We are all still learning about how to put the shows together and constructive criticism and suggestions are definitely greatly appreciated The tv producer is also watching the forum as well (gidday Ben!) so hopefully it will continue to improve.

On the subject of a drifting lesson for the audience, I do think it is important to do it every now and then. We did a specific segment at the last round last year Winton, but I do think it is important to do it regularly.

Maybe a story on what the judges are looking for as well as some stuff by the drivers on drifting techniques as well.

So .. as I said, please keep it coming. What do you think of the mix of interviews and track action. Do you want more chats with the drivers, more track footage. Is the show too long, too short?

Regards,

Wayne Boatwright

Drift Australia

Edited by Boaty

Thanks for the opportunity for input Boaty.

Personalities and rivalries make for good viewing also some history of the cars used.

Would like to see some in-car split footage of footwork, steering, gauges, etc.

Also some views on setup, car mods, aero work, etc, always interesting stuff.

Oh yeh, more chicks! :(