SAU Community

Rb25det Stock Turbo

hi guys

i purchased a rb25det 45v3 turbo from my mate and i was installing it today when pulling the elbow off it i noticed oil inside so i cleaned it up, and there is a bit of oil near the turbo fins

should i be worried about something here? i wiped it all down and just put the turbo on my car a few hours ago

but im yet to start it and i have to finish doing the rest of the lines

there was quite a bit of oil in the elbow leading to the inside.. anyone seen anything like this?

im just a bit worried thats all :) i guess i could resell it if its f**ked for highflow or something

but the motor it came from was a popped 25 with rooted ringlands

would this affect the performance of the turbo in any way?

thats hsouldn't affect the turbo UNLESS metal from the ring lands got to the bearing core through the filter etc (oil system)

but yeah ringlands would make blowby = oil in intake system

also when i check for shaft play of the turbo, it doesn't move very much just minimal, but when i turn it so it moves, it makes a small grinding noise, and doesnt spin freely as my rb20 one did... is this normal?

the other reason for oil in there is if the front oil seal is on its way out. they will normally leak a very small amount due to the type of seal that they use.

nah, came from a popped motor; says to unwise me that the turbo is fine and that the oil was simply the result of 'blowby'. however Im no mechanic.... LOL

start her up and see if she squeels like a stuck pig, if she doesnt all is hopefully good !

(love the chips n lemon comment, lmao)