SAU Community

i know this question gets asked over and over again, but this one is somewhat more specific and im nto just some dreamer posting a useless question just to kill some time. im about to import a more drift orientated car that will still c the street sometimes that has an rb26 in it. compliance and importing etc is no problem as i have a mate who is an importer but will be doing it at mates rates 4 me. ok, anyway, iv whittled the list down to the following....

1) 32 gtst with 26

2) 31 ceffy rb26

3) s13 with an rb26

or he already has a 450hp 32gtr with a26 out of a 34gtr in it on the boat, but im thinking the added weight will be a negative (and of course ill have 2 kill the 4wd with an atessa controller).

any advice would be much appreciated because it seems everybody i talk to gives me different advice and i want to make the most informed decision i can. i was thinking the extra weight in the front of the sil would throw the balance out too much but just thought id c what you guys have to say.

cheers

ardie

The S13 will probably be the cheapest choice. but if you are going to drag all that weight, I don't know... its just a *little* heavier than an rb26. If you want a heavy big power engine, then get a bigger car. My personal opinion is no.

The Cefiro is popular because its a 4 door, so it has a long wheelbase (don't know about track width...). I like 4 doors...

as for the R32, well, umm, yeah... but go a 4 door (same reason as the cefiro, only a little shorter). Apparently the sr20 gives a great balance, it being 4 cyl and alloy, not 6 and cast.

and as for the GTR, well, it is front heavy, and still doesn't have the wheelbase of the larger cars. Then again, when you arn't drifting, just re-enable the attesa (yeah baby). My theory is that attesa will help to cancel any drift tendencies while on the street.

All this can be found on this forum, and a hundred others.

Now to indulge my fantasy, get a 4 door r32 gts4 and put in the rb26 (and set it up for drift). Personally, I'd go the gtr. can never have too many gtr's on the street.

i don't have a drift car

i havent gone and drifted my car anywhere

But just looking from my point of view

if your getting mates rates, and by looking at putting a rb26 in any of those cars you stated

How would the weight balance be in a r34,

i have seen a r34 in japan driftin and looks pretty mad

(only problem it might of costed a bit to get it to that stage)

Plus i havent seen a r34 driftin in QLD,

you will stand out from other drifters

And would be awesome to see.

Only problem once again is how much money ya wanting to spend

if you even like the r34, and if you have already considered the option.

if you simply want to just drift, i would go with any of those options you stated

But in my opinion if i wanted to drift a car, that not many other ppl do drift, i would look into a r34

But choosing from those 3 options you have given

I would go the r32, just the fact i see too many s13's and ceffy's out there, and would like to see more skylines in the game.

i want an rb26 because its so easy to get power out of and they are bulletproof even when stock. to many of my freinds who run SR's seem to have problems but the few people with rb26s seem to have "less" problems because as we all know, drift cars ALWAYS have problems to some extent. im currently looking that a 1990 a31 ceffy with a 26 in it because i think it will despense the added weight of the 26 more evenly due toe the larger size and weight. still not fianlised so any other opinions are more than welcome

32 4 doors have the same wheel base as 2 doors.

Oops - 4 door is longer... don't have the specs on the wheelbase (makes sense)...

in which case.....

GT-R

you dont need power to drift

if your going to import a drift only car...

go get urself an s13/s14/s15/180sx already build.. no point removing the sr20... it has good weight balance plus you can get easy power out of it (just drop a gt2835 or gt3037 in it)

also weight isnt a HUGE factor when your starting out but once you get good. you will want to drop the weight abit if it something like.... 1450kg

sorry guys i didnt really outline i guess, i already have a car set up 4 drift, a sII 33, zeal adjustable coilovers, whiteline bushings, FMIC, Power FC, hks3037R etc etc all the usual stuff, main focus has been on suspension but im sick of it, i want something a little different, and you dont see many ceffys down here in vic

as for the car already being built, thats exatly what iv been going to do all along. iv bid on an a31 1990 ceffy with an rb26 in it, zeal coilovers, strut braces, bride seat, power FC Djetro....hjopefully i win, if not theres still a chance i might change my mind, but i love the stealth facor of the ceffy cos i seem 2 get a fair bit of trouble from the officers in my 33 wich is part of the reason im over it i think

and ebola, u and ur god damn gtr love affair lol if u ever get the $$$ i can get u an rb26 halfcut from japan for cost price, maby then ull stop talking about them lol

First off the R32 four door is exactly the same wheelbase and dimensions as the coupe (the roof is slightly higher) and weighs 20kg's more. If you import a 1990 model A31 with heavy modifications how are you going to register it? SEVS if it is available for ceffies which I'm not sure if it is yet, requires the car to be completely dead stock (Rb20 motor) and everything else removed. This includes suspension, motor modifications, wheels and everything else that isn't original.

Just to put it clearly any car built in December 1988 and before can be registered with the need to follow the sevs rules. That cancels out the R32. The S13 would be very hard to find with a motor other than a SR made for drifting. You best bet if you want to import a car that you want to use to focus on drifting would be a A31 cefiro 1988 dec or prior. It is a pretty common thing for A31's to have the RB20 removed in place for a RB25DET and would be an easier find.

As for RB26's, there really not as reliable as you might imagine. Ask the dozens on GTR owners that have imported GTR's under the old 15 year rule that have had cars come over with blown engines. Also GTR's are expensive motors to rebuild as well. As for using a GTR for drifting? They are 4wd and front heavy. GTR's were built to be track cars.. not drift cars..

My 2 cents

Oops - 4 door is longer... don't have the specs on the wheelbase (makes sense)...
First off the R32 four door is exactly the same wheelbase and dimensions as the coupe (the roof is slightly higher) and weighs 20kg's more.

I must need my eyes checked... 'cos Baz is right...

I think I'll retire and just watch the thread...

Nah there the same.. bolted up an exhaust which was fitted to a R32 coupe to a 4 door last week. Unless the factory exhausts are different they are exactly the same

Definatly go for the Cefiro option..... but as Baz has stated the 26 CANT be in-expensive, put it this way if and when it does go, think of the cost to rebuild it $$$$ there are a couple of the boys over here in SA from Delirium now have Cefiros and they have just chucked the 25 in it and that is gonna be more than enough to get the Cefiro thru what you wanna put it thru!

And as stated before GTR's are a Grip race car not drift.

and as for a S13 with a 26 in it.............Don't bother it would be like a GTR drifting....front heavy and not too mention POO!

If your dead keen on a RB26 then head to the Cefiro it will at least handle it alot better! and if there aren't too many Cefiros in Vic then run it, Do what you wanna do mate not what someone else thinks phat!

Edited by Deluxe

Yeah i cant understand the fascination for an RB26 for drifting- I have club sprint raced my GTR's for years and the RB26 is good but when they go BOOOM so does your wallet, and who needs 500hp to drift anyway

The RB25 can sustain more than enough power for your drifting needs. They can be run reliably on roughly 350hp day in day out on stock internals if you give it lots of TLC. Which is more than enough power for drifting. And no offense man it sounds like you haven't really done much drifting before in the past. So drifting on something with a bit less power is a good place to start. A S13 with a black top SR (late model 180sx's) are a very good platform to start drifting on.

as drifter said why on earth is a rb26 more pricey to build than a rb25 or rb20?????? they all got 6 pistons and rods, bearings, rings so wheres the extra cost? its a big myth i reckon because people always go serious builds with 26's and end up spending 7-8k where as rb25s usually rebuild stock for alot less.

an rb25 with same specs as a rb26 is gonna be identical in costs. how couldnt it be?

as some others have said above. RB25DET is better than RB26 for drift... cheap bolt on mods, enough power for drift and cheap initial purchase price compared to an RB26, which isn't gonna be that much of an improvement in drift setups... you're not building a circuit racer or drag car here. Your primary concern is to make sure the engine dosen't blow while you sit on the rev limiter all day...

Getting an AWD skyline/cef for drift is dumb, purely because the front axles add weight and reduce steering angle, which you'll need to get good lock. Again, not really building a circuit or drag car to need AWD.

If I were to build a car just for drift on a limited budget, I'd just get a regular manual Series 1 R33 GTSt. You can have one landed complied and registered for around 10k these days, you've got a standard RB25DET and if you put some bolt on induction mods, strip it, take out HICAS, change the suspension and add a mechanical LSD you're well on your way to a sweet sweet drift car for under 15k. Panels are cheap as hell and spare parts are so cheap... perfect for a drift car. Plus it's newer than a rusty old A31, S13, or R32.

f**k being different... I'm sure your bank balance dosen't care if you're the only monkey on the track with a certain type of car.

ummm dont mean to be rude but maby u guys should look at what iv got on my car already....i got a 33 with all the basic light tune mods (turbs, management, fuel system...) makeing 220rwkw. As for the gtr question, it was mainly out of curiosity as i havnt seen any while iv been at the track (not that iv been THAT many times, im by no means a seasoned drifter, u can ask my rear quarter panel that). the only reason im after a 26 is beacuse as i said before, i dont really want to go any further on my car until im sure i wont be dissapointed with the end result.

as for finding the car, it is not an issue. i have a mate with a brother in the auto buisness in japan (the importer) and he assures me he can find them on a regular basis, even showed me a couple the other day 2 prove as i was cynical at forst aswell.

given the advice you guys have given me along with that of a few of my more informed friends, im starting to have 2nd thoughts about getting rid of the 33 tho, but i thoght they wernt really the greatest because of thier increased weight, whats you opinions on this?

also, i dont really see how a 26 can be THAT much more expensive than a 25 to rebuild, and as im a little nerd whos living at home (and will remain there unitl im 46, single and unemployed) while getting a grand a week from work, i have more than enough money to throw around (sorry if that sounded like bragging, but im just trying to outline my situation 4 u guys)

oh and no offence taken about u assuming iv never drifted, like i said, im not a seasoned pro by any means, i just have a lightly tuned car that i want to turn into more of a dedicated drifter that can still see the streets occasinally. even driveing my car as it is now is a labour due to the suspension (really takes a toll on your back) and gate (every time im on full boost im worried about cops in traffic).

as for complaince of the car, i cant really say much about that at the request of my friend, but it can be done.