SAU Community

Clutch Shudder And Tailshaft Center Bearing

I fitted a cushion ceramic button clutch and from day one it 's had a shudder.

It's accompanied by a thud under the car.

I've been told a slight shudder is normal but the clutch builder has driven my car and said there is something wrong.

My mechanic has checked my engine mounts and rear cradle bushes and nothing is broken.

The only thing we can think of that could be causing it is the tailshaft centerbearing rubber mount but it too seems to be in good condition.

Would a one piece tailshaft fix it or does the problem lie elsewhere?

Has anyone else had these issues?

That sounds very similar to what is happening with my GTR R32 at the moment. Hard to locate the noise, but I think it might be coming from the rear cradle bushes.

Would appreciate it if you could let me know how you go... sorry I cant help!

With thanks,

Danni

• 2 weeks later...

got the same problem. does it alot when reversing or taking off up a hill.

i done a manual conversion and put in a extreme clutch. seems to make a bit of axle tramp when putting the power down too. i put it down to the clutch grabbing harder and faster causing a pulse (like a ripple) down the tailshaft.

i have and had these problems, first the clutch i got a full brass button in/out and the shutter is just normal just the flywheel is warped a little bit not a big problem is normal so dont stress, ive had my cluch for over a yr and sometmes it still shutters but just ride it a bit more, second if the center bearings a gone the car vibrates when at about 80 or 90kph but mine was vibrating at these speed and it was the rear rubber seal of the tailsharft is twisted not the center bearing or universals

cheers

got the same problem. does it alot when reversing or taking off up a hill.

i done a manual conversion and put in a extreme clutch. seems to make a bit of axle tramp when putting the power down too. i put it down to the clutch grabbing harder and faster causing a pulse (like a ripple) down the tailshaft.

Yes, mine is particularly bad reversing or trying to take off gently up a hill.

My centerbearing rubber appears to be in excellent condition but it still feels as though the tailshaft kicks with each shudder.