SAU Community

I remember a while back I had information on the import grades, and how the cars are graded. Has anyone got a link to some information on each grade, etc? Already done a search but couldn't find anything closely relevent.

Thanks.

Umm ReeceR,

I could provide a link for you but this depends on which import broker or company you are using.

However, from the amount of time i have spent researching all the cars for my import i have found they vary quite alot from auction yard to auction yard and again to the final sale of the car. From my understading anything about Auction Grade 3.5 on average is going to be a decent car with a few niggly problems. I have imported an r33 with a grade of 4 and it is quite clean indeed.

Just make sure u see the underbelly of the car before u buy. Salt on roads in japan = rust. >_<

I am currently looking at my options of importing. But before go into it any further, I want to understand how cars are graded. I was looking over jspec's site, and I noticed most of their cars have a 3.5-4 grading. I have notcied in threads across the forum people comment on anothers car " is that a 4.5 grade?".

I am looking for a clean car. I'd prefer to hand over the extra cash and have peace of mind knowing that it's clean, and realiable. I was just hoping for some more information, like how the cars are downgraded from 4 to 3.5 for example. Thanks for the information though, I didn't know it could vary from dealer to dealer.

Any links at all would be handy though!

Alot of cars that get downgraded from 4 to 3.5 is because of the Km's on the clock...more often than not it is when it has breached 100k's +

Auction Grade 4 with J-Spec will ensure you a very nice car indeed. Speak with Craig and he will look after you man, the last thing he wants for his customers is a bad car and a shitfight. He will tell the truth straight up.

>_<

j-spec dont grade the cars. so you cant really say "a grade 4 with j-spec will be a nice car". The grading system is used by japanese auction houses and as such only applies to cars sold at auction. The criteria does vary a little from house to house but basically the same. the thing that does vary is the accuracy of the gradings given.

Here is a guide ripped from amayama. Personally I've never seen an S mark, or 6 mark. needless to say most cars you will be looking at would be 4.5A at best.

S

Best of possible evaluations. New car or not older than 12 months, with a run up to 10,000km, in excellent condition, almost corresponds to a new one. No repairs or other works required.

Car less than 36 months of age, in excellent condition not requiring any repairs and other works. Run from 15,000 to 30,000km, tires with clear protector pattern, the engine operates ideally.

Car age has no distinct limits but in very good general condition with a run less than 60,000km. Body has minor, almost unnoticeable breakdowns and dents. Neither interior nor body requires repairs. The engine works excellently. After a minimum repair or even after a thorough interior clean-up the car deserves mark.

The car, like in mark "5", can be of any age but in a very good condition. Can have several small scratches, rust spots and almost unnoticeable surface damages to the body. May get mark "5" after a minor cosmetic repair

A car of any age but in a very good condition. Number of scratches and surface damages may be a bit more than for mark "4.5", and a more serious repair is required to remove them. The interior is not in a very good condition.

A car of any age but in a very good condition. There are more visible scratches and/or minor surface damages of body or the run is greater than that of cars with mark 4. Body repair is required; there are paint chips, the paint looks faded. The interior is in a bad condition. Sometimes a service book can be available with the maintenance history including repairs or replacement of certain parts (brakes, box joint, tires etc.).

A car of any age in a satisfactory condition, with visible scratches or surface breakdowns of the body. Faded paint on the body, the interior is in a very poor condition. Usually, a service book is available with maintenance history including repairs and spare parts replacement.

A car of any age, general condition is poor. It has big damages and requires partial or full repairs. Such cars are usually priced very cheap.

The car has serious damages ("bloat", rust, results of an accident) or tuned with standard parts replacement (different turbine, AT replacement with MT, etc.)

0, R or A

A car of any age after an accident, usually repaired by manufacturer at the cost if insurers. When selling, repairs are described. It can be a bumper replacement or a smaller repair. In other parts the car might be in a very good condition, but the prices for such cars are very low.

R1, R-A

Combination of marks R and 1 (or R and A) - either a car that was in a major accident and restored after with interference in the body framework or a modernized vehicle with non-standard parts (the latter usually refers to so called "sports" models, which were tuned-up).

Damaged and not restored car, very old vehicle or a vehicle with a serious defect in the engine (car in not in running order).

Besides, auction experts can appreciate interior and exterior separately using the following grades:

Evaluation

Exterior

Interior

A Breakdowns or scratches 2-3cm in length. Small dents in 2-3 locations. The paint is even. Interior needs no repair at all or requires minor repairs. Barely visible breakdowns (like seat abrasion) in not more than 2-3 locations.

B Body has scratches 5 to 20cm in length, minor dents of golf ball size. The paint is uneven in some places (visible runs). Rusted wipers, cracks in windows. Small damages like abrasions or holes in the seats. Salon can be easily cleaned, low need of repairs.

C Multiple dents on the body, scratches 20-40 cm in length. 2-3 dents of the size of a fist. Uneven paint, faded color. Minor repair is required; the salon is very dirty, abrasions and holes in the seats.

D Multiple major scratches and big dents. Body is subject to corrosion, repairs required. Various multiple damages in the salon, repairs required. Dashboard and other upholstery locations were changed. Too difficult to clean the interior.

E Body requires full repainting and restoration. Severe corrosion in some places. Dashboard requires replacement; the salon is very dirty and smelling badly. Major repair is required.

Optimal price/quality relationship is for cars with marks 3, 3.5, 4, aged 3, 5 or 7 years (the cars of this age are usually selling at auctions).

Bad marks given by auction experts may have various reasons. For example, a big run decreases the mark. The marks meaning that the car was repaired may mean anything: that the car was in an accident, that it underwent a minor repair, a major repair, a good repair or a bad repair. Sometimes, due to differences between evaluation systems, an automobile that received mark 0 at one auction may receive mark 3.5 at another.

Attention! The mark is given only on the basis of an outside inspection, mainly body and salon. Explicit problems with the engine or suspension are specified in notes to the auction sheet, but no special check is done on the engine, transmission and the undercarriage. Therefore, when selecting a car you should be guided by the run as well – the less the run, the less probability of technical problems and repairs needed. It should also be remembered that evaluation is a personalistic thing and you should not rely on it.

j-spec dont grade the cars. so you cant really say "a grade 4 with j-spec will be a nice car". The grading system is used by japanese auction houses and as such only applies to cars sold at auction. The criteria does vary a little from house to house but basically the same. the thing that does vary is the accuracy of the gradings given.

Here is a guide ripped from amayama. Personally I've never seen an S mark, or 6 mark. needless to say most cars you will be looking at would be 4.5A at best.

2006 - 2000cc

Chassis Type Odometer Colour Trans History Grade

CT9W 0km black Auto Transmission S

Air Condition Options

Air conditioner Aluminium Wheel / PowerSteering / PowerWindow

Start Price Status

2,390,000YEN Before auction

theres are grade S for ya,there is a few around :cheers:

post-7472-1154354538.jpg

:P

thanks, I had never seen it used at any of the auctions/cars I watch. seen a few grade 5s. but I've never really looked at cars newer than 2001 so it's no surprise I dont see the grade 6/S cars.