SAU Community

Best Driver Training For An L Plater In Melb

R32gts-t

Ok,

so my gf has been given untill the end of the year to get her P's. (by me)

she lives in Richmond and public transport is her friend when it comes to uni/work.

however she is of an age that she should have her licence, and her parents have offered to buy her a cool little ford focus, so it's up to me to make sure she gets quality driving lessons.

it's been ages since i did anything like this, and when i did it was at deca in shep for a 5 dayer, this doesn't fit in with her schedule, so i'm after 1st hand experience, and i'd rather she actually learnt to drive rather than being taught to pass.

ta,

Greg

Edited by R32gts-t

Greg, give Jack a call on 9503 8278

He is an absolute gun of a bloke, no bullshlt, won't sting you if you can drive, but won't let you take the test until you can either.

Hopefully that's his number still, was a few years ago now

cheers for that Dane,

i'll look into it.

anyone with feedback from their gf's?

female instructors aswell, as the last male she had a lesson with obviously couldn't be arsed and was on his mobile twice during the lesson and dropped her off ten minutes early...

Edited by R32gts-t

ok, problem solved!

that was quick :)

Jack sounds like a great guy (older bloke with lots of experience) but he doesn't do Richmond but he put us intouch with a quality instructor!

Dane to the rescue!

Well done for pushing her as I was the same with my g/f to a certain extent however only you know if she is going to be the kind to get her licence by the end of year. By the end of the year is quite quick considering you dont mention if she has driven before/her age etc.

I probably can't be overly constructive here due to lack of knowledge but she has to be focused. You have to ask yourself if she is the kind of girl who is going to be a driver, not all are and the last thing you want to do is push her into something that you may regret.

It is difficult to explain on a forum when emotions are hard to convey but my only advice having been through this, is make sure she is the kind of girl who is going to be happy on the road. Some arent and there is nothing wrong with that. Not meant to sound harsh mate. :D

i got lessons through a private guy, didnt like him, went to racv and had a guy, who was really good, very relaxed and taught me very well.

and im a girl, got my licence at 20, got my L's the day after my 16th and just didnt drive cos didnt need to - public transport to school then to uni etc.

then i decided everyone else was doing it!!!!

ok, problem solved!

that was quick :D

Jack sounds like a great guy (older bloke with lots of experience) but he doesn't do Richmond but he put us intouch with a quality instructor!

Dane to the rescue!

ahhh nice nice :P

Jack is the bomb, he's about 65 I'd say, and loves his cars. Couldn't speak highly enough of him. I'm sure whoever he put you in touch with will be really good aswell.

NateR31: You can find out more on the deca website, its the 5 day young drivers course, very beneficial for the young driver, ie L plater / fresh p plater. emergency braking on gravel/ashphalt, skid pan, plus a decent whack of helpful theoretical classroom based hazard perception, i did it with a mate when we were 17, just a couple of weeks away from getting our p's. prbably the best time to do it mainly because all of the important stuff from the course will remain in your head while your driving on your p's. (very beginner orientated, but EASILY worth the cost, should be double the price)

saff_cossie: She has some experience in the family land rover disco auto, however she has stated she wants to learn in a manual car, she is coming up to 21 in oct and really just wants to get her licence whether or not she will drive everyday is unknown mostly because it is far cheaper for her to tram to work/uni because of parking etc, and she lives very close to both so it's hardly a long stint on dreaded public trans.

she wants to get her licence as much aas i want her to, it's just that i'm going to try and guide her about it the best way possible, no harshness taken :P

sarahB: your situation sounds almost identical, but the other way round, the racv bloke was a wang ker!

she also got her L's at 16, just hasn't had to drive much at all, everyone else is also doing it

phunky_monkey: Yeah she said he was really really helpful and by far the most approachable so far, didn't sound hungry for the cashola, his wife answered (i think it's the home phone) and he was having a cup of tea at the time, still had a decent chat even though he couldn't help her specifically, she is happy with the instructor he reccomended, the lesson is tomorrow at 2:30.

just a warning to sau er's if your in the richmond vacinity it may be an idea to keep your car's off street level between the hours of 2:30 and 3:30 tomorrow :D:)

Edited by R32gts-t

sarahB: your situation sounds almost identical, but the other way round, the racv bloke was a wang ker!

she also got her L's at 16, just hasn't had to drive much at all, everyone else is also doing it

you just have to find someone she is comfortable with, the only reason i had the guy i started with was becuase my brother had him and so i followed a few years later! i didnt like him, didnt go back to him, went to racv (had greg) and he was really good.

setting the end of the year to get her licence is fair enough but only if she wants it too.

i got to the stage where i thought it would be handy to have and im sure my family were thinking about frigging time and good they dont have to drive me around and now i can start to repay them!!!

if shes not confident or willing to do it, she will never get there or she wont pass the test.

i know my brother said to my parents that i will fail because i was absolutely sh|tting myself about doing the test! i came home with a huge grin on my face and my p's!!!

phunky_monkey: Yeah she said he was really really helpful and by far the most approachable so far, didn't sound hungry for the cashola, his wife answered (i think it's the home phone) and he was having a cup of tea at the time, still had a decent chat even though he couldn't help her specifically, she is happy with the instructor he reccomended, the lesson is tomorrow at 2:30.

yeah, I only had 3 lessons with him. On the first lesson he said 'you can drive, you'll be fine' haha

The he just taught me the finer points and about roadsense etc

Didn't try to sting you for more than you needed

Well done for pushing her as I was the same with my g/f to a certain extent however only you know if she is going to be the kind to get her licence by the end of year. By the end of the year is quite quick considering you dont mention if she has driven before/her age etc.

I probably can't be overly constructive here due to lack of knowledge but she has to be focused. You have to ask yourself if she is the kind of girl who is going to be a driver, not all are and the last thing you want to do is push her into something that you may regret.

It is difficult to explain on a forum when emotions are hard to convey but my only advice having been through this, is make sure she is the kind of girl who is going to be happy on the road. Some arent and there is nothing wrong with that. Not meant to sound harsh mate. :(

Alan, when do Nic's manual lessons start? :P

My instructor was like Obi Wan Kenobi. Dead ringer for him & very wise. Can't remember the name tho, but it was in greensborough. Stupid Driving Instructor Mind Tricks... :dry:

Edited by CNR33