SAU Community

The "i Can Lend You Thread"

Well set at a legal height, as I understand you cant adjust them without the proper equipment. Took the car over last time for a defect, and they even told me to fix the coilovers as my left rear coilover was leaking. Had the rears rebuilt. Passed 2nd go. As long as the car is a legal height I'd at least try taking it over the pits. They may pass it.

riiiighhhttt.... so heres the deal anyway... i need to get a roadworthy done ... then i need to go to dickson for a repairable ride off/ identity inspection...

hopefully it will past just bought r33 rims for the inspection....

ceejay can i borrow you drivers door trim...? mine got smashed???

or anyone sell me one...

• 1 month later...

So, I am going to be getting Pinky "ACT" Roadworthy so I can finally transfer my rego, only thing is I have an aftermarket front mount intercooler and it is engineered by someone that isn't approved in ACT only NSW so I need to pay for a new certificate (which I don't want to do because I will only need to get it done again when I do my suspension) so does anyone have a stock R33 side mount I can borrow for a couple of weeks? It would be much much much appreciated!

I have a stock r33 intercooler you can borrow if you like, but I took mine through with NO ISSUES for the intercooler here in ACT. I have a front mount, and dickson said, as long as there are no sharp edges it is perfectly fine here in ACT, but if I go driving in NSW I need to be wary as I can get defected because it is not standard.

My pod filter was fine, my front mount intercooler was fine. They did say the duel boost controler was not fine over the phone, but they didn't comment on it when I got it checked. I took it through premiere automotive in Mitchell, but I had previously checked all these things with dickson. I put my stock rims on rather than my bigger ones, just to be safe. I had to fix up a few lights on the vehicle, and that was all.

Honestly you'll be fine with the front mount, but I can loan you a side mount for a small bitta cash if you like.

Thanks but Eiji also said he has one I can borrow... And apparently (according to ACT Transport and Infrastructure Division) the certificate should be valid Australia wide so I may not need it now anyway :banana:

Edited by Melly

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...

I have a rear muffler for R33 GTS25T which I got made for $250 to pass Rego.

It worked. YAY!! Bolts onto a 3 incher and goes down to something tiny.

Quiet and stopped my burble and backfire. BOOOOO... Didn't stay on for long. (just long enough).

If anyone needs to borrow/rent it let me know.

Here's a pic and a pic of what it temporarily replaced which is a whole 5 db too loud. GRRRR. :cheers:

post-78856-0-33565300-1297063817_thumb.jpg

post-78856-0-10995400-1297063866_thumb.jpg

• 1 month later...

Yep, I certainly do lol

I'm southside

(don't mean to offend) but would require some collateral to make sure you'll return the thing, just coz I've never heard of you here before :P

EDIT: unless you want to buy it that is, then by all means you can haha. I don't need it back, but if you're looking to borrow it then collateral is the go :)

• 4 weeks later...

dickson doesnt have a problem with front mounts as long as they are securely mounted (not cable ties) and your front bar isnt completely cut out at the because then the bottom of the front mount can be see as a sharp protruding object. aftermarket bovs are fine as long as they are 100% plumb back and non adjustable (50% plumb, 50% atmos etc). Pod filters are fine as long as they a securely mounted and have a heat shield or enclosure (or plumbed down into the wheel arch etc). they dont like boost controllers and if you have a turbo timer turn it off and tuck it out of sight under the dash or something. my 2 cents, cheers

dickson doesnt have a problem with front mounts as long as they are securely mounted (not cable ties) and your front bar isnt completely cut out at the because then the bottom of the front mount can be see as a sharp protruding object. aftermarket bovs are fine as long as they are 100% plumb back and non adjustable (50% plumb, 50% atmos etc). Pod filters are fine as long as they a securely mounted and have a heat shield or enclosure (or plumbed down into the wheel arch etc). they dont like boost controllers and if you have a turbo timer turn it off and tuck it out of sight under the dash or something. my 2 cents, cheers

That all sounds too logical to be true :P

trust me, im a rego inspector :3some: haha

I understand some of the reasons to object to turbo timers (Unsupervised running vehicles), but if they are installed properly (correct cut offs etc), they really should be ok.. .

Why any objections to boost controllers? If they will pass the vehicle running the high or low boost all the time, what is wrong with an adjustable high\low boost controller?

As long as these things are installed correctly, and function correctly and safely and are within certain specs, shouldn't they be legal?

Final question at present, i know there is rules re the max increase of rim size on a vehicle (do remind us what this is), but presuming it doesnt affect the rolling circumference, why is this really an issue? The real question i was aiming to ask, was I heard you cant have wider rear wheels than the front? OR is this only if the rears exceed the max allowable increase?

I was warned that in NSW i could be defected for my FMIC (and possibly pod filter), but here in ACT it is perfectly legal, just the differences in state laws.

TA!

Wild guess on my part is a boost controller alters the power/emissions of the vehicle, to something it wasn't designed for, so technically it's not legal.

yeh boost controller is mainly emissions etc id say. people say only 2 inches bigger than stock which is a crock o sh1t. from the largest tyre option on the tyre placard (overall diameter, not always biggest rim option) you can go UP 15mm in overall diameter and DOWN 26mm in OD (use an online tyre calculator and enter all the sizes listed on your tyre placard and then the size you wish to change too). if you meet that your all good as along as you load rating is met also. most tyre placards will say eg: "tyres fitted to this vehicle must have a load rating equal to and no lesser than 95 and a speed rating of no lesser than V". so aslong as you can get a tyre thats within the OD rules and meets the load rating your all sweet. im pretty sure you can drop a speed rating and its ok too, mainly used for driving on the autobarn etc.

eg, falcon/commodore sizes

205/65R15 - 647mm OD

235/45R17 - 643mm OD

235/40R18 - 645mm OD

245/35R19 - 654mm OD

245/30R20 - 655mm OD

so if your car had 15"s and 17"z were an option, the 15 still has a larger diameter to work from. so legally you can have a 20" rim and only be 8mm over standard which is inside the 15mm up rule. BUT legal ONLY IF the tyre has a load rating (eg 91) that meets or exceeds the cars requirement

http://www.1010tires.com/TireSizeCalculator.asp?action=submit - tyre calculator have a go. you will have to search google for desired tyre sizes to find the loadrating.

turbo timer = fueling a fire if you roll your car cos the fuel pump will keep going.

dont get me wrong i have a greddy full auto timer but id have to try pretty hard to flip a 1650kg awd stagea (either though is ridicualously high atm)

turbo timer = fueling a fire if you roll your car cos the fuel pump will keep going.

Wouldnt the car either stall or just be running as per normal?

The turbo timer is only working if turn the car off with the key... And the time can be turned off by pressing a button, touching the pedals or hand break?

What about the width of tires? And having a wider rear and narrower front?