SAU Community

Do I Need To Get A Wideband O2 Sensor Or Will 4 Wire Do?

Hey guys just wondering when it comes to tuning the power fc will i require a wideband 02 sensor or will a 4 wire one do the job.... Like this one?

http://www.tweakit.net/shop/product_info.php?products_id=81

(will it fit r33 gtst?)

or will even the stock o2 sensor do?

Any ideas comments welcome.... do not have a clue when it comes to these o2 sensors and seems that they are hard to find even on the net.

Cheers

You need a wideband to tune the PowerFC. The "4 wire" O2 sensors are the narrowband type, just with an inbuilt heating element. Totally useless for tuning for anything but stoichiometric AFRs.

You need a wideband to tune the PowerFC. The "4 wire" O2 sensors are the narrowband type, just with an inbuilt heating element. Totally useless for tuning for anything but stoichiometric AFRs.

ok so does this mean that everyone that has had a power fc tuned needed to get an o2 sensor b4 they could get the tune?

anyone know where i can get a wideband from?

Edited by bygrave316

No. Noone has to get a wideband. Just take it to a tuner and he does all the tuning with his wideband. Done.

ok.... now i get it.... so they just remove yours and put in one of those ones connected to a meter.

ok so what would be the adavntage of replacing my old one with a 4 wire one? better if i was to hook up an air fuel gague or something?

let me clarify. when they tune your car they stick one up the exhaust pipe at the back and use a portable controller and guage to read and then tune your car. they keep the stock narrowband sensor in the exhaust dump pipe. they tune the car accordingly and then remove it when done. theres no need to replace your factory narrowband one unless it is broken and doesn't return anything useful. they have a lifespan of around 50,000k's ish. so it might be worthwhile just replacing it anyway. the stock 33 gtst sensor is a generic 3 wire sensor and you can use a ford el falcon sensor as its the same type and setup.

let me clarify. when they tune your car they stick one up the exhaust pipe at the back and use a portable controller and guage to read and then tune your car. they keep the stock narrowband sensor in the exhaust dump pipe. they tune the car accordingly and then remove it when done. theres no need to replace your factory narrowband one unless it is broken and doesn't return anything useful. they have a lifespan of around 50,000k's ish. so it might be worthwhile just replacing it anyway. the stock 33 gtst sensor is a generic 3 wire sensor and you can use a ford el falcon sensor as its the same type and setup.

ok so what is the benifit of getting a 4 wire one? or is there no benifit?

i wouldnt think there is one at all. im not even sure it would work with the stock ecu or powerfc being a different sensor type. and dont bother getting an af guage off the stock narrowband sensor it will be pointless and given you nothing useful

i wouldnt think there is one at all. im not even sure it would work with the stock ecu or powerfc being a different sensor type. and dont bother getting an af guage off the stock narrowband sensor it will be pointless and given you nothing useful

ok thanks for clearing it all up for me.... for a second there i was thinking i was going to have to go spend more $$$ on an o2 sensor

chears