SAU Community

Cai + Partition D.I.Y Information

doxximus

Question to those that have made their own alluminium boxes: Do your boxes get hot to the touch on the outside too???

Not if you cover them is a some high density foam (glued onto the allly that is). If you don't use some kind of insulation material, you're simpoly delaying the effects the heat soak. Aluminium absorbs heat very quickly, but with some foam against it, the heat has to get through that too - which take a LONG time, but tends to disaapate before having effect on intake temps.

Filters and airboxes have been of great interest to me and although i have not made a custom airbox as of yet i have a heap of info and research. To me a 'Fully Enclosed' box means just that, a box containing the pod, when i decide to make mine i dont want to use the engine bay or the bonnet to seal off the pod, as those metals would get hot as well. The pod i would use would be a Apexi dual intake as its non oiled(important for AFM equipped cars) and also has the best flow and filteration(various sites have tested different pods, apexi came out on top). The box would be made os 1-2mm thick aluminium and would be welded tight(except the top), i will test it by filling it with water to see if there are any leaks and such. The top would be removable in order to change pods etc, but would be fitted tight. Wrapping it up would be the job of rubber (from clarke rubber of course) as aluminum would heat up and its thicker then foam (plus would look better). Providing the air would be the job of a big Bellmouth to the front of the car. Of course it is a big job, which is why im leaving it till after i put a bigger turbo on their as i would have to change the piping, AFM, brackets etc. If you wanted to you could also heat wrap the intake pipe to the turbo. But for now im sticking with the stock airbox with an apexi panel and additional flexi pipe to the box.

• 1 month later...

After the front mount went in I thought I'd put that hole under the air filter to use. I sealed up the alluminium box I made a bit more(photos of the box above in an earlier post), and used some flexible tubing.

Here are the pics.

1. self explanatory

2. also pretty self explanatory

3. under the bumper, looking up at where the pipe attaches to the air duct in the bar.

4. the front bar is to the right in this shot

5. the pipe here is heading back and up into the cold air box.

• 3 weeks later...

For anybodys info, I've recently designed and installed an electronic circuit which displays temperatures from four thermocouples around the car (EGT, Oil, Intake air and Ambient air) and I did some testing on temperatures. When cruising at a constant speed of anywhere between 60-110km/h, without the CAI or partition and with a K&N Pod filter, I was getting intake temps of 10+degC above ambient. Now I get intake temps (thermocouple located just before throttle body) of only 1-2 above ambient.

Hi Guys,

Have any of u guys had any dramas with your cai kit picking up water when it rains? We had a simular setup on my dads r33 and whenever it rained the ic would fill up with water! We were considering putting a drain plug on one of the ic end tanks!

Have any of u guys had any dramas with your cai kit picking up water when it rains? We had a simular setup on my dads r33 and whenever it rained the ic would fill up with water! We were considering putting a drain plug on one of the ic end tanks!

My cai pipes have been placed/designed not to pickUP water. (although to be honost I havent driven in the rain yet).

They will pick up some to about 5cm in of the pipe but after that unless you have a few lads each with a hose or bucket there ain't no way the water is getting up/in.

Wouldnt a drain plug allow all the air to get out?

Ohh so you have a plug in it, turn off the car, then you can drain the water out. Rightt.. Doesn't sound like a great idea - i mean the plug being there seems to me like its asking to pop out but sounds good in terms of getting water out.

http://www.skylinesaustralia.com/forums/sh...ead.php?t=52538

Have a look in this thread for how my pipes go.

I can't say its a stroke of engineering genius but its simple really - the air goes up the water stays in the first part of the pipe. I've found a few rocks in it and all the dirt/particles/whatever also gather in that first part before the pipe goes up - suits me fine.

Funnily enough though since I put my CAI setup in I've noticed more road-'dust' in that area of the engine bay heh heh. Price we pay.

Here's the pic of my dodgily constructed air shield - the previous pics in this thread have inspired me to go back to my garage and make a straight cut one which will look a helluva lot nicer which I will at a later date. If I end up needing a totally enclosed box for engineering I won't bother and I'll jsut pay for a box (damnit i hate paying) but yeah.

Atleast the rubber sits up into the hood (i assume) :P

I'd say the reason you're not getting any rocks water etc up on teh pod is that the CAI pipe is a convoluted one (with "ripples" in it) and not completely smooth like a PVC drain pipe. Using PVC pipe you're more of a chance of getting water around pod area. In saying that, I been through some pretty hefty rain storms with my 75mm PVC CAI pipe that sits right up against the lower front bumper to collect air and never had an issue with water in the intake.

Yeah today i "lost" my front pipe (i found it on my front wheel) because it had wiggled out of a zip tie.

It's kinda mangled now soI just ordered some orange neoprene stuff from revolution racegear. Guy was really helpful they have a black stuff too but it's hardcore use i don't think i'll need it (plus it was more expensive).

• 4 weeks later...

Some of us weren't lucky enough to have imports that came with standard airboxes and ducting. Mine came with HKS pod filters with no partition so it would suck heaps of hot air.

Decided to make up a fully enclosed airbox that had holes for BOV return, intake piping and the all important cold air feed from under the headlight. I made the box template out of cardboard and masking tape. I plan to make the box out of fibreglass when I get off my ass and actually do it. I'm also thinking about getting a pipe to go from the bumper opening next to the intercooler (HKS intercooler so theres less room around there) to the hole under the headlight. That looks like the hardest bit to me.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I was gonna say if you're in Sydney I'd volunteer you a cefiro for test fit :)

Would there be a chance of you doing maybe about 10 for cefiros? I'm sure some ceffy guys would be interested.

I'd personally be lovin if you left the top bit blank so I could put in a perspex screen.

What kinda schematics would you require? Do you have a sample schematic? Cos if you would do cefiro ones I would have a go at drawing it up.