SAU Community

A.i.r Drags

sky30

funny how Bob starts doing this now after plans of a new track :) is this a ploy to send a message to the local gov. saying (from Bob) we dont need another track?

hope he fails

I do too.

Too little too late. Entry fees have never been injected back into that venue. Its been falling apart and slowing becoming derelict for years ... yet he kept taking our money.

Now there's the threat of competition and he's doing something now? The work will probably be on the cheap anyway. :P

• Replies 278
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

That is not what I heard Nick. Apparently work is currently underway to resurface the REST of the track, but NOT the drag strip. For drifting activities I would assume. Since BJ won't play ball with ANDRA, we will NEVER see top fuel or any other kind of dragsters there again - so why would he spend several hundred grand to resurface the strip and redo timing gear, when it will never make much income. The big boys and big comps are where the $$$ are, and since ANDRA are not interested in AIR, it will never happen. He doesn't really care about our street drags - and never has. :P

what i found weird was its still sorta open, i went there and got my car engineered with along with a couple of other strangers about a year ago. they also had adverts about driving v8's on the track for the day and we were working out it was cheaper for us each to drive 1 of them than what it cost just to hire the track and have this engineer drive our cars for the day.

panel van there became the first car being tested to be street legal with an engine swap to lite on fire.

got to drive it out on the track along the drag strip, was tempted to give it a go but i thought i better not incase i got busted

Edited by gzilla

I keep hearing that it is sorta open and then i hear that it isnt open anymore....what on earth is going on with AIR.....

btw gzilla sorry about sunday mate...just was too tired to make it to the meet spot....then again i should have gone cruising instead of having a disgraceful game

That is not what I heard Nick. Apparently work is currently underway to resurface the REST of the track, but NOT the drag strip. For drifting activities I would assume. Since BJ won't play ball with ANDRA, we will NEVER see top fuel or any other kind of dragsters there again - so why would he spend several hundred grand to resurface the strip and redo timing gear, when it will never make much income. The big boys and big comps are where the $$$ are, and since ANDRA are not interested in AIR, it will never happen. He doesn't really care about our street drags - and never has. :P

hmmm ok then,

i'll have to talk to my mate again and see what he has to say. I know Bob wants the whole track resurfaced in time for the AMRC round. As of last May Bob had planned to spend around 7Million between calder and AIR to get both of them up to scratch

Steve this has been in the plans since May last year.

I'm far from Bobs biggest supporter so i'm not defending him, i'm just going on the information i have been given. A good friend of mine was working with bob to set up a series and so i have been privy to the information regarding his tracks. However Bob being Bob screwed over my mate so now information isn't coming from the top dog

There will never be any major work done on AIR because the EPA has and order that says that if any major work is to be done then the mounds have to be pulled down and the asbestos and tyres are to be removed. the tyres aren't that expansive to remove but you an garantee that the Asbestos will cost millions to be removed.

had another talk to my mate, seems like Bob wants to eventually set up the drag strip but as your said andrew there will not be any top level comps.

I personally still think the garden island is the way to go for future motorsport in SA

and knowing how Bob can change his mind instantaneously i won't be holding my breath either

Read into this what you like, but when I went past AIR today, there's was a big tipper dumping something right on to the track where the start/finish line is (of the drag strip).

woohoo

finally the work begins

lol i was reading this thread from the start n then got to like page 3 n realised shit its like 2 years old lol

i swear im sober hahaaa

its good to hear some work has been started and stuff....well now i cant wait to find out the 1/4 mile times and stuff