SAU Community

A.i.r Drags

sky30

Attendance mainly dropped once there was no prize money in street meets, and also once they stopped running higher competition ie door slammers, pro stock, top fuel, nitro funny cars etc.

I did hear (correct me if im wrong) that the major comp meetings were stopped due to the lack of run off at the deep end of the track.

So yes, Blob Lame being a tight arse wouldn't help things.

• Replies 278
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

It is my understanding that as of when ANDRA withdrew it's accreditation/support for the track, no decent competition cars have or can run there. ANDRA certification was lost many, many years ago, hence only street meets and private days were held there for the last few years it was open.

the higher competition could have other costs involved such as raised insurance premiums bribing high profile cars into coming etc. you just dont know unless you actually see the accounts so ill start applying for jobs as the cfo there :dry:

u guys kinda make it sound like he's a party pooper that didnt wanna come out drinking on the weekend cause he being scabby. lil diff than dumping the kind of money a drag facility costs to run. if i could make more money else where i know where id put my cash. its just how buisness works.

and Andrew now you mention it the 4 6 rotor nationals did pull a much larger crowd than the other meets i seen. i was only young so i didnt know wtf was happening :P cars just went fast down the track.

Edited by Inline 6

i was talking to mitch (one of the main guys there) at the mildura drags over easter...they got quoted $75,000 to finish the job so they booked it in...two days before they were scheduled (spelling??) to start..the paving company rang to tell them they were misquoted and then proceeded to quote them $250,000 to finish the friggin job....that is where they are at the moment....i do dearly miss my old job there...but until its actually open and starting to get going again..io dont think it will be any time soon

• 3 weeks later...
Hey Jess when i was working in one of the pub i used to work in i was speaking to a family about this (would be at least 3 years ago). there is already an 1/8th mile track up there and they are trying to get it extended to a full 1/4 miletrack. The father of the family was part of the drag racing commitee up there and he said that it was going to cost around the $750,000 to get it extended.

I also have heard some VERY good information about the proposed motorsport park from the brother of one of the members of the consortium, there will be an anouncement in the not to distant furture, AND WE ARE GOING TO LIKE IT.

did this ever occur?

ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ!

*still snoozing ... waiting for a drag strip*

ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ!

When was the last time you saw a Top Fueler in adelaide, i bet you it wasn't 4 years ago. I saw the last Top Fueler pass (well kind of, it spat a s/charger belt off the line) and that was 8 years ago.

Edited by D_Stirls

When was the last time you saw a Top Fueler in adelaide, i bet you it wasn't 4 years ago. I saw the last Top Fueler pass (well kind of, it spat a s/charger belt off the line) and that was 8 years ago.

I think it has been more than 8 year since top fuelers .... sorry I thought you were referring to street meets.

Sorry to tell you, but no matter what you will never see competition top fuelers at AIR ever again - the dramatic and complete withdrawal of ANDRA certification and support some time ago guarantees that.

And while BJ owns the complex, it will never meet ANDRA requirements. The cost to do this and repair bridges would heavily outweigh any possible future investment I would have thought.

Sad to say, but my hope is fading of ever racing there again ....

I am that pissed at the whole situation that even if the strip opened tomorrow i wouldn't not go there, i will never set foot on that track or the grounds ever again. People should stop being so fickle. BJ has been giving Adelaide the BIG FAT ONE for number of years so he will never get any of my hard earned ever, and that includes his stores.

The other track WILL happen and i will wait for that to be built, and BJ and his faggoty son can got get F#*Ked. and i hope when the track is finally decommissioned they they still own it so that they can pay for the site to be cleaned up.

As for the top fuel that i saw it was about 8 years ago and it was a deminstration run for the Top Fuel Nationals that were going to be held there a couple months later, but ANDRA pulled their certification before the event happend and it was held somewhere else. That was the last run, and it was the first and only time i have ever seen a Top Fueler (i grew up on EP so i didn't see them while i was growing up) but i must say i have never experianced anything like them since. just the noise and vibration is unbelieveable.

Edited by D_Stirls

I go and make a nasty post and I get a reponse on email LOL

Hi Jessica,

Thanks for your email, Bryan no longer works here.

AIR is not ready to stage any motorsport for the time being pending some works that need to be completed.

We appreciate the interest that people like yourself have and that there is high demand for a regular motorsport spectacle in Adelaide. We are working towards achieving this.

Thank you again for your enquiry.

Best Regards,

Dean Mansueto B.Eng

General Manager

Calder Park Raceway

yet another B.S. response - in other words nothing is going to eventuate for at least another 12+ months (if ever)

Would love to know more about the progress of the proposed alternative facility.

If we all wrote an email...like I have maybe they would get there arses more into gear..Who knows

It just suxs and sick of no drag facility in SA and I will keep harrassing them till its opened or the other place is up and running!!!

Email takes 2 minutes :D I have lots of 2 minutes in my days

Email takes 2 minutes :) I have lots of 2 minutes in my days

Moving it to the delete bin takes 2 seconds. :D

I'd love to go drag racing at AIR again (sold my drag bike because of this BS), but I'm not holding my breath anymore. Bring on the new facility (fingers crossed).