SAU Community

A.i.r Drags

sky30

Whyalla is a 1/8th mile and the track is actually ANDRA approved, something AIR will never achieve agin.

There is also a 1/8th mile in the South East near Padthaway (about 1/2 hour north of Mt Gambier) which is also ANDRA approved. Closest you'll get to decent drag racing in SA without heading to Heathcote in Victoria (9 hour drive) or Calder park (again not ANDRA approved) which is ~8hrs away.

• Replies 278
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

i know where whyalla is my nan used to live there...

never heard of a drag strip there though, and judging by your time its not a full 1/4 mile

Its 1/8mile, track has been there for 10-15 years i think., has had a big upgrade last year, i think eventually they want to make it into 1/4 mile.

Received approx 30 mis ago from Paul at AIR

Hi sean,

Thank you for your interest in A.I.R.

The 13th of Dec is somthing i have heard for a while and i am sorry to say it is not true. As you probably aware we are half way in resurfacing our race track we are hoping to finish it as soon as we can and get the ball rolling. We are hoping to hold street meets early next year as soon as we set a date im sure you will here about it.

Kind Regards

Paul

So no action this side of christmas - although my mate is a senior manager at Boral so I'll see when they are finishing the track off. (yes there were troubles with the machinery sinking into the track)

Sean

I wonder if Paul will answer any of my emails or voice messages then :(

Have run 7.108 @ 101MPH on Federal street tyres $150 each, Should go a high 6 this time.

Running GT3540 turbo.

not too bad at all Andrew, should be good for a low 11 high 10?

Really wana take the 32 down the 1/4 before i get rid of it!

Ash,

We should sort out a few of us to head down at the same time.

I'm keen when ever. :P

~400km's in total apparently - not so bad.

Should be able to drive there; run a few runs then fill her up and drive back.

Ash,

We should sort out a few of us to head down at the same time.

I'm keen when ever. :P

~400km's in total apparently - not so bad.

Should be able to drive there; run a few runs then fill her up and drive back.

for sure, i head to whyalla a fair bit with work so the drive doesn't seem as long nowadays, would be different in the skyline though.

The one down the south east would only take us 3 hours to get to, checked it out last week when i went to Mt. Gambier!

for sure, i head to whyalla a fair bit with work so the drive doesn't seem as long nowadays, would be different in the skyline though.

The one down the south east would only take us 3 hours to get to, checked it out last week when i went to Mt. Gambier!

Either way.. South east will probably be the way to go. :P

I'll check out the locations and throw you a pm (along with any others keen) to sort something out.

not too bad at all Andrew, should be good for a low 11 high 10?

Really wana take the 32 down the 1/4 before i get rid of it!

Hey ash,

A few GTRs have run 10.8-10.9 sec 1/4 have 7.1 sec 1/8mile time, so yeah good for a high 10, hope to go a bit better with a bit more power than last time.

I did 800m sprint at goulburn airport for Dutton Rally and its a rough surface but OMG was the best fun and just going off the clock was EXCELLENT!! :huh: was the highlight of the event for me and getting to watch the ferrari infront launch off the line and fly down the track what an awesome sound! :thumbsup:

So anything is better than nothing and worth the 1.5hr drive to do for me

p.s F**king AIR sif not be back up and running yet..another email will be sent by me soon I will wait till mid December

Raced today at Whyalla, ran 6.8 sec @ 170KM/H don the 1/8 mile., Got told by the ANDRA official i need a cage if i want to race there again....

The only other turbo car at the meet today was a new VW turbo

Edited by sky30