SAU Community

Car Wont Start

HKS-R33

hey guys just replaced my turbo, injectors, ECU and AFM all with standard items as i had aftermarket parts on there and required it to be standard again. When i went to start it the battery was flat. So i put the battery on charge and went to go and start it and it still wont start. The car cranks over but doesnt fire.

The battery also seems to lose charge fairly quickly, but i dont think that is my prob as it is cranking over. My fuel pump also primes a lot longer than usual.

Ive also checked most of the fuses.

Anyone have any ideas? Its kinda urgent as i need to go to the EPA tomorrow.

Thanks, Mike.

CAS plugged in??

remove one of the coil packs and spark plug .. earth the end of the plug while its plugged into the coil pack... then crank to see if its got spark

i checked it out today a bit more and the car has fuel and spark but still wont start.

does anyone know if it could be the battery because i get it fully charged and after about 4 cranks its flat again.

Thanks, Mike.

try it with another battery or jumpstarting it while trying to crank it..

engines usually only need fuel spark and compression ...

maybe just needs to be turned faster than the battery can speed the starter

From what you have said it sounds like the battery is on its last legs. The ECU needs a minimum of about 9.5V to get things started. I would suggest the voltage is dropping below this when cranking. Is the battery serviceable ie can you top up the liquid level in each cell or is it a sealed unit? The easiest solution is to use a mates battery that you know has good charge.

Hope this helps

Cheers

And the O2 sensor certainly isn't being used at cold start.

It needs to be hot, for one thing. Then it needs the engine to be close to a stoichiometric mixture (and cold start is RRIIICCCCCHHHHHHH!)

hey guys im thinking the injectors that i put in are not opening up because when i pulled the spark plug out it was dry. If they were letting fuel in and the car wasnt starting the plug should be full of fuel right?

anyone got any ideas why they might not be opening up besides fuel pressure?

EDIT: I just checked the injectors with a testlight and they have power when the ignition is on, but when i crank it i used a screwdriver to listen whether they were opening and i couldnt hear anything so im pretty sure they arent opening.

BH_SLO32 suggested that the ECU needs a minimum voltage to "stay alive". If you are dropping below that threshhold during cranking, then the injectors aren't going to be working because the ECU has run out of power.

Have you tried a jump start so you have a good 14V (from running jump engine) sitting behind yours?

hey guys just wondering if anyone has a set of standard injectors that they would be willing to lend me so i could see if it actually is the injectors at fault?

Also if they work, if id be able to lend them till wednesday so i can take my car to the EPA and get tested.

Thanks, Mike.