SAU Community

Do You Diy?

Amgryfist

How many DIY?  

50 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Hi guys,

I've just got back from o/s and my car's almost 2 months overdue for a minor service (oil change, etc) and it hasn't really been driven since the major service before i went away (apart from being driven to make sure it still runs). Anyway, i wanted to attempt an oil change myself but i was wondering (i always used to take it to a reputable service center) would it be that bad for the resale value or am i being to concerned since i'm flat broke atm?

anyway, there's nothing wrong with DIY right? i got the step by step guide from the DIY section so that's all good...

i do all the repairs and servicing on mine and my sons car from oil changes to clutches and the dash out to do a heater core. too many workshops are just sharks and shonks if i do it myself i cant blame anybody else if something goes wrong

the only thing i don't do is things like machining the brakes and that sort of thing, because i need the car to go to the place that does the machining. but i have a mate who is a mechanic so i take it to him for things like that. but things like taking the gearbox out to fix the clutch pivot bolt i did myself.

i'm no guru and actually bought my skyline becuase i wanted to learn more about fixing cars etc as it was something I never bothered to put any effort into.

I've done everything except for major mechanical work i.e. fitting anew turbo although after seeing how it was done I reckon next time I might give iot a go myself.

things like oil, sparks, coils, belts (although I'm having trouble with that on the r33!) bolt on exhaust bits, CAI, FMIC, dials, dash bits could be done yourself all the time.

Its actually quite fun doing it yourself, u learn, u read more and site like this make it easy when you get stuck...cos many ppl here really know their stuff.

the only thing i don't do is things like machining the brakes and that sort of thing, because i need the car to go to the place that does the machining. but i have a mate who is a mechanic so i take it to him for things like that. but things like taking the gearbox out to fix the clutch pivot bolt i did myself.

Dude what gear do you need to remove a gearbox? I thought it was a hoist + gearbox jack job - you can do it in your garage but it is a huge pain in the butt...?

i'm no guru and actually bought my skyline becuase i wanted to learn more about fixing cars etc as it was something I never bothered to put any effort into.

I've done everything except for major mechanical work i.e. fitting anew turbo although after seeing how it was done I reckon next time I might give iot a go myself.

things like oil, sparks, coils, belts (although I'm having trouble with that on the r33!) bolt on exhaust bits, CAI, FMIC, dials, dash bits could be done yourself all the time.

Its actually quite fun doing it yourself, u learn, u read more and site like this make it easy when you get stuck...cos many ppl here really know their stuff.

I second all that...and if you REALLY screw up then just take it to the mechanic but I have learnt soo much about my 'line after doing everything maself and everyone on here dont mind giving advice!

id choose the ALWAYS option.

my car hasnt seen a workshop for any mechanical work since the previous owner.

its been rebuilt, suspension changed, electronics installed, bodykit installed ra ra ra..

you'll find ALOT of people on here like that.

my story = the above story

as much as possible.

i went for the cheaper r32 for that reason as its my toy to tinker with rather then my show pony.... i try and give everything ago if i have the right tools and equipment or something close enuf. at the end of the day there is always a tow truck and a shop happy to be of assistance...

Edited by BSK

as much as possible.

i went for the cheaper r32 for that reason as its my toy to tinker with rather then my show pony.... i try and give everything ago if i have the right tools and equipment or something close enuf. at the end of the day there is always a tow truck and a shop happy to be of assistance...

I think most people here would do all they could themselves.

Personally, I think that's the best way. I bought a stocker so that I could play with it. Yes, it probably would have been cheaper to buy an Australian, pre modded skyline, but the fact that it comes to me as a blank canvas, and I can create it into what I want it to be, it's well, special.

I know that every time I look at it, or if others comment on it, that it's because of what I've done, not because I bought it that way. Also, if there's a problem, I can have a crack at fixing it myself.

Besides that, it's just fun.