Ecutalk Consult Lcd Displays

NewKleer

• Replies 279
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

ok ive finished version 0.6 of the firmware, which if theres nothing wrong with the things changed here, will be the final version.

ive changed TPS%age so that u set it up manually (have closed throttle on display, then go into options and set current voltage = 0%. go back to display, step on accelerator all teh way, then go back to options and set current voltage = 100%. then you're set).

anyone who's in sydney can jump the list if they wish to help out testing this week or next weekend, although with any luck this version will be the final one

Edited by NewKleer

a reminder for those people coming up soon on the list - i will ask for both your details (see the 10 points at start of second post), and for you to post a signed waiver out to me. keep and eye on the second post of this thread (for upcoming people), and the orderstatus page (for those already contacted/provided me info).

may be worthwhile for anyone on the list to print out and fill in/sign the waiver now whenever u have time and have it ready: http://www.ecutalk.com/consultlcd/waiver.doc

if u want to send it out now, then send me a pm and ill give u post details (that way ill only need payment when your next on list before i can post it out)

Peter

Edited by NewKleer

Pete, you're gonna kill me, but i couldn't help myself.

Would it be possible to include alerts into the device?

E.g. a couple of ultra bright blue LEDS - just a couple bucks each bezled into the case.

Perhaps 2-3 selectable programmable lights would be good. Then we'd be able to select in the menu what we want it to come on for, and what the threshhold value is?

They would be programmable based on selection from the options menu. E.g. led comes on when Rev >= x (selectable from the menu).

The LEDs would probably be different colours.

e.g. i might set one to shift light, maybe i might set one to speed limit, and maybe a small buzzer for water temp or something

Pete, you're gonna kill me, but i couldn't help myself.

sure am! and make sure u check your pm if u want a display, its been almost 2 weeks since i contacted you

Would it be possible to include alerts into the device?

E.g. a couple of ultra bright blue LEDS - just a couple bucks each bezled into the case.

first of all, the final release of the device is completed - so nothing will change in next few months or however long i spend catching up making the devices for people who want one.

secondly, its too late for changes to the enclosure to accomodate LED's. something visual isnt the best anyway, given you aren't watching it when you have eyes on the road.

now, in the future once everyone who wants one has one, the next step is working out what to add. we've already got some possibilities:

1) reading k-type thermocouples

2) logging to SD/MMC card

3) alerts

the alerts i envisaged as using some kind of buzzer, and the rest as you described (eg if rev >= x, temp >= y, etc). not sure how ud account for the different types of alerts, perhaps you would have a single buzzer then the screen would show the value of the sensor which is triggaring the alert?

*** CAS: 8125 RPM ***

*** Alert Level: 8000 RPM ***

anyway, yes its a good idea and possible to add down the track, but it wont be in the "final" version which have already started being made. i cant keep improving it indefinitely, at some point i need to stop and actually make them, and that point is now (well, a few weeks ago). its already better and cheaper than anything else out there, but that means nothing if no one can get one :O

down the track a bit ill start a new thread where we can throw around suggestions for additional features

Edited by NewKleer

I agree totally about the have to stop improving somewhere. Reminds me of a story one of my lecturers was telling me about, where the programmers kept on improving and improving the software product, and one day, the company went bust, so the software wasn't paid for :O

I've sent you a pm.

edited: to add ps.

Edited by MANWHORE

I received my consult screen today. I had previously ordered a consult kit off peter. The previous kit was of a top quality. I received the kit within 1-2 days after paying.

With this screen, it was no different. Peter received the money on thursday, and I had the item in my mailbox on friday!

The screen itself is very very professional. The picture seriously doesn't do it justice. When I first posted interest, i thought it would look like some dicksmith project that you build and bung in a cheap box. It is perfectly fitted into a custom box. All external wiring is very neat.

The lcd screen itself is a perfect choice. Very wide viewing angle. It is very visible in direct sunlight. The backlighting is also a perfect brightness for night time. It's plenty bright enough for you to be able to see at night, but not so brihgt that it glares you.

The menu is very user friendly. I read the instructions, but you probably wouldn't even need to.

The screen layout is very user friendly. Good use of the space.

Time trials are very accurate.

Fault code reading and clearing is also very useful (i didn't have any faults though).

In conclussion, the product itself is a top quality product. Peter is a very honest bloke (probably the most honest person I know). He's not making any money out of this product. He has done it soley out of the good will of his heart to benefit us all.

Hopefully this will clear up any doubts that any of you have if you are uncertain as to whether to buy one or not. The unit is very cheap anyways. It's a great toy and it's cheap.

not having pictures that do it justice also helps keep the first batch to those who would want it even if it was sticky taped together...though at some point i should really take some better pictures (or someone who's got one can volunteer as i dont have my own digital camera) for those who need to see it looks sexy before they get it :)

will have a shot at getting the majority of the remaining 20 or so done this/next weekend (edit: the circuit boards are put together, but cabling etc still needs to be done)...just waiting for a few parts to arrive, hopefully next week..then i can probably ask half of the remaining people on list for orders, and first in best dressed :)

if u dont need custom device id, and default cable length is fine, then i can get ur display done much quicker as ill make roughly half of them to this default config

Edited by NewKleer

good and bad news regarding the next lot (after this first 50 which is more than half way thru).

the current lcd supplier (-20 to +70 deg, 50deg above, 60deg below, 40 left/right, green/yellow, pretty much best specs ive come across) wont have stock again till end of december.

however, crystalfontz has added another colour, a white lcd, to their range (due in a month or so). its same wide temp (-20 to +70, but viewing angles i think are 15 above, 80 below, and 30 left/right). in a car application, if anything you would be viewing from above rather than below, so this may mean the display is a bit harder to see if u mount it really low, such as bottom DIN pocket or something. steering column mount would be fine.

so worth thinking about whether youd be interested in this lcd (it "should" fit into enclosure etc fine) for those who miss out on the first lot. cost will probably be +$10 or $15. and it might mean i can get some of the next batch done in early december.

whitelcdbl.jpg

whitelcdnobl.jpg

ive now contacted (on sau and pga combined) enough people to cover the remaining of the 50 displays.

however as some people have taken a week or two to respond, i assuming not everyone is either going to eventually respond at all, or will pull out for whatever reason. regardless, im still going to be contacting more people, so for each additional person i do contact from now on, whoever is slowest of the original people to respond will obviously miss out.

i will most likely do a second batch in december or sometime next year, but nothing is certain (maybe i wont have time to organise anymore), except that if i do the price would almost certainly rise (as id have to get them assembled elsewhere, i wont have time to do all assembly myself). so if you do want one and have been contacted, try not to be too slack about it (i dont mind if it takes a week or two for you to get the money, but just keep me informed so i do have an idea whats going on).

though having said that, people on SAU have been much better than those on PGA (half of them have pulled out/cant afford it, or never get back to me about it...)

Peter

Re the cable lengths, I am glad I got the std metre length as it was handy to be able to hook it up to a computer outside the car door or put the display under the hood if needed and its easy to roll it up if to long.

Love this device, great job Peter! :rofl:

yeh, most people are getting the standard 1.5m now (easier for me to make them to this length in advance than needing to wait till i get cable lengths from people on order)

Haysey and TurboX, since you're still on v0.2, u can upgrade to latest if u want. it fixes any of these issues if they're a problem

1) if ur TPS is showing >10 or <100 at closed/WOT

2) not showing 2nd injector duty cycle on GTR/300ZX

3) changing options doesnt clear peak values

4) distance measuring jumps to 99999.9m once you pass 9999.9m

5) Random spikes/communication errors can make peak values read very high. Eg temperature reading max (of 205C).

6) Sometimes unit doesn't "turn on" due to volts dropping too low on starting car.

i imagine though ill add more features early next year, so u could wait till then.

• 2 weeks later...

ive got about 10 of the 50 remaining, which will be taken by the remaining people on the list (on here and pga). do u want me to add u to the list? (u might get in if people are too slow/dont want one). otherwise next batch will be around january