SAU Community

The Automatic Performance Thread

Gary

Long time no see

if you have internal gate you may get boost spiking

I have the AVO .74 Housing on mine ( I believe is a recasted vg30 or there abouts housing) and mine boost spikes

I havent done any runs yet with the new mods but im hoping for okay times

how long did your auto last for on 260 Kws

Hope you didnt have to buy a VG30 housing I have my old OP6 housing sitting in a box here

secur1ty - got dyno sheets?

updated :P

nah no dyno sheet. SAU dyno day is coming up and i might enter my car, i'll grab a dyno sheet on 18psi (new tune) if my cooler pipes dont keep blowing off.

Hey Guys , anyone got any new updates ? I ended up hurting the auto (so i though, made noise as you load it up etc during a circuit sprint) , but it turned out to actually be the bloddy hiflow turbo..... of course i figured that one out AFTER i spent over 3K getting Mike doing the toughen up on the auto. Went up to a 3500 stall too. box wasn't to far before it was toast anyway.

Then spent 2.5K on a custom Turbonetics BB to fit into the vg30 rear housing.

Its been 3 months and i've been so busy i haven't had a chance to retune it to suit new turbo..... so thats on its way.... hope to get over the 260 rwkw we made previously. Will let you know how i go soon.

Any of the couple of guys on here at the top had experience with how much you can flow thru a vg30 housing ? and or the std log manifold... anyone had one extrude honed/power ported ?

Gary

I guess i fit into that

here is a graph of mine with the vg30 rear, gt30 front. if you take the terrible boost curve out of the question

the power curve and max isnt to bad. this was on the stock engine, with just a shift kit.

post-24852-1202200864_thumb.jpg

Yeah its been a while. Unfortunately i did have to buy it .... twice actually .... so it cost me $800 !!! for the housing ! Someone on here gipped me with a plain bearing shitter that didnt fit, and so had to go buy another one, correct the second time luckily.

The box was lasting fine with 260 as i had a extra DC oil cooler inline with std, and MV shift kit. However it was already a 130,000 box. It was just a tad soft on changes into top. The highflow bearings dies and the wheel was hitting the housing.... all i got back was front and rear housings... killed new to3 wheel and Turbonetics housing ..all only 14 months old.... i was abit upset.

Yes my boost is hard to get right ... well i can get it to go to 18 psi , however it then wants to overshoot in the quicker revving lower gears. Really need external gate.... but i prefer it to look totally stock. So have to work out how to hide one.

Dangerman, yeah i have got to 260 too, was wondering if anyone had got to 300 odd ?

Oh just for interest, when speaking to Mike at MV , i told him i was making my own auto controller and we got talking about lock up converter etc .... as with a 3500 now, its a pain, nay impossible to get to the low areas of the map on the dyno. So i said is it ok to lock up the converter down low, so it tunes like a manual effectivly. He said no probs, also said that i should try locking up the converter once it clicks into top gear at drags , says some of there cars have gained up to 10 mph !! I was shocked as i did not expect the lockup clutch to hold much more than 50 kws or there about.

So something to definately try , along with the launch control to .

Gary

• 4 months later...

1996 R33 4 Door GTS25T

Standard Turbo

Standard Pump

Standard Injectors

Impul ECU

Safc2

FMIC

3" all the way threw

stage 2 shift kit from mike at MV Automatics

splitfires

9/10 psi

198.9rwkw

R33DynoResult2.jpg

• 3 months later...

Just an update, i finally got the car onto the dyno and had a play. Unfortunately i could only screw 250 RWKW's (20psi........ 230rwkw at 11psi!!) out of it, so i knew something was up. Measured backpressure at the O2 sensor hole and did a run and it got to 7psi !!

So i think the magiccat is toast, possibly the resonator also, as its an old fujitsubo one... and i pulled the rear muff years ago as it died. So its full exhaust upgrade time.... probably going to go custom and make it myself using SMB stuff, with twin mufflers and probably a metal cat ........ (but for now i'll use another magiccat, as i have a new one sitting here for a couple of years that needs using.

Will dyno without exhaust to see what best possible power will be to baseline exhaust restriction when back on.

Also, this was more an excersice to see what duty the injectors got to, as i know they were very high, but i could'nt remember exact .... and sure enough the 550cc's are at 100% just after 6000 rpm.

But to add insult to injury, when i got home the normally quiet intank 040 was noisy as hell..... ahhhh........ so now need to whack in a FP gague and take it for a spin.... i should have hooked up the fuelflow on dyno , but since it was after 5pm when i got on i didnt bother.

Also really need to modify the factory airbox snorkel, as its fine on dyno, but does drop abit on the street..... once the bonnets down.

Will update again soon. i have sold 550's and the GTST LINK ECU. Going to put in a new G4 LINK plug in... realllly nioce bit of gear. Plus 740cc............... and possibly a new FP !

Update again soon hopefully. !

Anyone else had any progress ?

Gary

this thread is very handy.. as i will be runnin my car this w/e locally(ballarat, VIC) its only 1/8th mile but will give me some indecation...

cars a '95 s1.5 R33 Type-M

Mods as follows

-Cooling Pro FMIC

-Jusp Jap split dump

-3' f/pipe and exh with x-force cat

-Microtech LT-12

-Splitfire coil packs

-Pod filter in HiOctane air enclosure

-9psi 183rwkw standard RB25 turbo

will post up my 1/8th mile results for the sake of it after the weekend

• 2 weeks later...

Hooked up a FP gague and went for a spin, and sure enough, running low on pressure.

Strangley, base pressure is 48 psi, goes down to 42 at idle once vaccumm acts on reg.... anyway i get to 18 psi on street and so i should expect to see 68psi fuel, however it gets to 58 and stops dead.

So its either the FP (Bosch 040 intank) , or possibly the FP Reg...... i was concerned seeing higher base than usual, and also how it stoped quite suddenly at 58 , rather than peter out......

So now i HAVE to check fuel return flow to tank, to tell me if its pump or the reg....No flow, and its new pump time, Flow, and its new FP Reg time !

Gary

• 3 weeks later...
this thread is very handy.. as i will be runnin my car this w/e locally(ballarat, VIC) its only 1/8th mile but will give me some indecation...

cars a '95 s1.5 R33 Type-M

Mods as follows

-Cooling Pro FMIC

-Jusp Jap split dump

-3' f/pipe and exh with x-force cat

-Microtech LT-12

-Splitfire coil packs

-Pod filter in HiOctane air enclosure

-9psi 183rwkw standard RB25 turbo

will post up my 1/8th mile results for the sake of it after the weekend

in regards to the above quote, i only got 4 runs in for the day, managed a best of 9.20 @ 78mile with shit 60's and reactions coz it was my first outing, looking forward to bettering this

RB25, GT30R, EMS stinger, 555cc inj, built motor std cams

Has KEAS full manual valve body, rebuilt by top quality, clutches, bands etc + 4000rpm stall from MV in Adelaide

made 352rwhp @ 16psi but could only rev to 5500rpm because 910 fuel pump not giving enough fuel. getting retuned next monday so will let you know. going to drags that same week so will update then. auto seems to suck a lot of power ;) hoping it makes up for it down at the drags.

I re-dynoed the car with the cat removed, and exhaust backpressure dropped to 3.2 psi (from 7psi), and still 250rwkw's..... not a change..... Also fitted up an adjustable nismo FPR so i can set a higher base to flow more thru injectors, and to also try to rule out the FPR on the fuel pressure being low. Pump is definately having problems. So i have a 255 lph walbro going in when i get time to do it soon.

I got the shits and bit the bullet and removed all the turbo and manifold, and proceeded to fit up the HKS Cast manifold and i had john at turbo supplies whack on a new Turbonetics .63 A/R housing, using an external Tial 44mm wastegate. Unfortunatley due to the large size of the comp housing, the engine mount needed trimming, and also had to jack up motor on PS and unbolt mount to allow enough clearance to fit the turbo and manifold.....and of course all intake piping and exhaust needed refabricating.... so i just ran out of time to make the race meet i was aiming for.. it was fighting me all the way........

anyway, im aiming to have it all finished now for the Ch Towers 1/8 mile race meet in 2 weeks. So we can compare times Boost ON !

Im hoping the restriction was the std exhaust manifold. We shall see....... only other long shot is i left a rag in the piping last time it was off and it ended up in the cooler end tank !!

Anyway i really hope to see the power curve shoot past the 250rwkw mark this time .... else i will cry like a baby i think !!!! You just need so much more mumbo in an auto to feel quick compared to a manual !

Gary

98' R34GTT

RB2630

Turbonetics GTK 650

F-CON V Pro 3.24

MV Automatics Gearbox O/Haul, Shift Kit, Flex Plate

330rwkw @ 11.5psi

350rwkw @ 14.5psi

380rwkw @ 19.0psi

I have had the V Pro tuned about half a dozen times now... 3 times before the build and 3 times after the build. Only in the last 2 tunes have we really perfected the A/T Shift Compensation in terms of ignition retarding. The car shifts perfectly and loves the power - able to fry the tyres from standing start all the way to the top of 3rd gear. For those who have read my threads, the flex plate needed a beefing up as it broke at 330rwkw :blink:

i was wondering when we were going to see your car satanic ! Thats some great numbers. Do you have a dyno sheet so i can see the curve ? You have the extra 500cc and the 26 head to aid low end responce no doubt over the 25.

The flex plate problem seems to be R34 only doesnt it ?

Gary