V35 / 350z Na Performance Upgrades

Munna1

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Ah, the "drivers car" line always makes me laugh.

To my mind, a "driver's car" is something that is about the experience. It doesn't necessarily need to be insanely quick or powerful.

For example, the original MX5 was gutless in a straight line. Compare that to an Audi RS6, which had so much grip and grunt it was near impossible to not pull a good time out of it. But the RS6 was so heavy, and remote, that aside from the acceleration you'll get punching out of corners onto the straight it won't leave you with the same amount of fun that chucking an MX5 into a series of corners will......if that's your thing.

In that way, driving a Z33 was more fun than driving the G35. And driving an S15 was more fun than driving the Z33.

The Z33 still carries too much fruit for me to consider it a "proper" sports car. All that sound deadening, electric heated, seats, big stereo, etc, and 1470kg kerb weight is anathema to a what a FR sports car, especially NA, should be about - lightweight and engaging.

I never said that the Integra and Silvia were a racer's first choice, but they're still more enjoyable to drive. To make an analogy, an Excel is more of a driver's vehicle than a bus.

I think the 03 and 04 350Z's share the same suspension. By 05 they'd revised the spring rates a bit, and in the 06 the spring rates and swaybars have been adjusted.

As for owning one every day, the fact that the V35 has rear seats makes it a clear winner over the Z. The seats are also far nicer. You don't need the extra noise and steering response when commuting, but being able to carry your mates and the more noticably comfortable experience.

but if handling is the worst thing about it ..... that can all be changed rather easily :D

Depending on how far you want to go, the issue is more balance than anything else. I've had a couple of guys drive the car, and if you're keeping as a purely street driven vehicle then just replacing the swaybars and tyres will be fine.

The main thing is to get rid of that stock exhaust (if you still have it). It doesn't sound particularly good, and it really chokes the engine.

scathing - stock exhaust gone ..... it has HKS twin pipe exhaust on it (aka two milo tins hanging off the back)

munna - skyline does a 13.3 down the 1/4 will eventually get the 350Z down there although there are no immediate plans ...... it still doesn't have its first stone chip yet so im kinda wrapping it up in cotton wool til then :ninja:

Might have to ask for coilovers for christmas :D

I know a guy who says he does 1:10 around Wakefield in his Zed. Reckons the suspension was easy to tweak to make it handle properly. He also hinted that he had spent around $15k on it. So easy must = expensive too.

$15K would have been in total. I don't know how you could spend $15K on just suspension without having almost everything custom made. But, with the car being relatively new, bits aren't cheap :P

I'm heading out to Wakefield in the near future, and I'll have a more consistently-driving mate go out and see what mine will do. If the pro drivers can dip into 1:12 around Wakefield in an OEM car, I'm hoping he can get into 1:11 with all my mods.

munna - skyline does a 13.3 down the 1/4 will eventually get the 350Z down there although there are no immediate plans

That will take some time, and probably FI. I have yet to see a NA 350Z get into the mid 13's.

Car won't always be NA scathing ...... but an blower won't happen overnight .... but it will happen. :P

Yay joey! good to hear from you .... jsut for you - doesn't have NIZMO plates on yet.

post-1911-1157585240.jpg

post-1911-1157585258.jpg

post-1911-1157585275.jpg

scathing - stock exhaust gone ..... it has HKS twin pipe exhaust on it (aka two milo tins hanging off the back)

munna - skyline does a 13.3 down the 1/4 will eventually get the 350Z down there although there are no immediate plans ...... it still doesn't have its first stone chip yet so im kinda wrapping it up in cotton wool til then :rofl:

Might have to ask for coilovers for christmas :(

13.3 is a good time for those mods, come on its gunna get a stone chip one may as well be at the track :unsure:

nice pics by the way love the tan leather interior

cheers

Car won't always be NA scathing ...... but an blower won't happen overnight .... but it will happen. :D

The APS TT kit will get you into the 12's, I think, but at 380rhwp you'd hope so.

The guy I know in Sydney who has the HKS supercharger, at 300rwhp, hasn't made any drag strip times public.

it will probably be the HKS kit. We are only after about 300rwhp. I've been there and done that with engine rebuilds - don't really want to go down the same track for quite some time!