SAU Community

Anyone using High-Flow, VG30, RB25 turbo or aftermarket turbo on RB20

Mr Rb20

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi guys, we use our R32 GTST for circuit racing, so it is never tuned for a single maximum horsepower number. The shape of the power curve is way more important for us.

If we had tuned it for max power only, I probably could have got another 10 to 15 rwkw more at the sacrifice of mid range and response, but the same would apply to the RB25 hi flowed turbo.

To answer the question it has;

adjustable cam pulleys

split pulse dump

3.5 " exhaust

R32 GTR intercooler

POD, hot shield, cold air feed

Power FC with boost controller

RB25 Hi flow turbo

electric fan

oil cooler

untouched internally, 170,000 kilometres

The main problem with the 2540 was its inefficiency at anything less than 1 bar and its related slow boost build rate. When we took it off the GTST, we bought a partner 2540 and put them on the GTR, after the 2530's they were a big disappointment. More lag same power, so the pair displayed basically the same problems as one did on the GTST. Ask anybody who has used 2540's and they will tell you the same thing. I believe that's why HKS have released the GTRS because the 2540 was not a successful progression from the 2530's.

Hope that helps clarify

Sydneykid

RB20 turbo is a T25 size turbo with T3 flange.......right??

RB25 turbo is a T28 size with T3 flange..........right??

VG30 turbo is a T3 size turbo with T3 flange......... right??

(please correct me if im wrong)

so hiflo RB25 turbo is a balance between response and peak Kw??

wheres VG30 is laggy and mostly top end??

so can i expect around 200KW at da wheels with a rebuilt hifloed RB25 turbo?? (assuming all other mods done xhust FMIC etc)

there is a guy on performanceforums who will hi-flo your turbo to T3/T4 specs for $1200 using all new parts. i have seen two (RB20) examples using a T3/T4 combo running deep into the 12's with stock internals, or around 300 rwhp(RB20lagwagon is one). there is also an R31 with a Vg30 turbs running 250rwhp and a 13.6 et'. from what others have said the Rb25 turbo has slightly less lag than the Vg but also less pwr potential.

Originally posted by Sydneykid

Hi guys, we use our R32 GTST for circuit racing, so it is never tuned for a single maximum horsepower number.  The shape of the power curve is way more important for us.

If we had tuned it for max power only, I probably could have got another 10 to 15 rwkw more at the sacrifice of mid range and response, but the same would apply to the RB25 hi flowed turbo.

To answer the question it has;

adjustable cam pulleys

split pulse dump

3.5 " exhaust

R32 GTR intercooler

POD, hot shield, cold air feed

Power FC with boost controller

RB25 Hi flow turbo

electric fan

oil cooler

untouched internally, 170,000 kilometres

The main problem with the 2540 was its inefficiency at anything less than 1 bar and its related slow boost build rate.  When we took it off the GTST, we bought a partner 2540 and put them on the GTR, after the 2530's they were a big disappointment.  More lag same power, so the pair displayed basically the same problems as one did on the GTST.  Ask anybody who has used 2540's and they will tell you the same thing.  I believe that's why HKS have released the GTRS because the 2540 was not a successful progression from the 2530's.

Hope that helps clarify

yeh? how is that. when RH9 made 404rwkw with pair of 2540s? and other people struggle to get 350rwkw out of 2530s. I know the spool factor. 2530s around 2500-2900 and 2540s around 3500-3800 with cam gears. But the power is there. It depends what your after drag/track. I think 2530's for track and 2540s for drag and bit of track? these figures on a Rb26dett.

sorry but boost on mine kicks in around 3800 and full boost by 4200 but i hardly notice anyways as i like to rev the car all the time lol also mine made 130rwks with the vg30 turbo and fmic, but i only ran 9psi and the fuel ratios were 9.8 to 1 sooo i rekon once its tuned properly and about 16psi i should be looking at an extra 25rwks+

Dyno figures say more when you can tell me what your car measured before and after mods on the same dyno, and note gains as a percentage over factory.

This way we help negate the whole dyno losses etc, or at least lend transparency to the gains achieved.

Guest Works Auto

I tried something different by hi-flowing the stock rb20det turbo.

The result : Big top end flow , Minimal Lag.

Guest GTS convert

I have an R31 GTS2 fitted with a RB20 Gibson Motorsport head &

extractors T30/40 Garrett 2 1/2" exhaust,big intercooler & pod,

porsche injectors,adjustable boost 7psi - 17psi.

Performance? Not sure of exact kw figures but,under 4000rpm,mild over 4000rpm AWESOME!!! I have driven powerful

cars including racing, so i know it's quick!!

• 2 weeks later...

I have a series 1 R33 turbo on mine and it is quite good. Comes on only a little bit later than standard, but makes power all the way to redline. From memory the stocker used to run out of puff at about 5500. A friend has an r34 turbo on his, and it feels very similar to mine, but as well as the ceramic turbine wheel, they also have a plastic compressor wheel, which means no more than about 12psi apparantly. Both of these were a straight bolt up.

Hi judd, you posted "RH9 made 404rwkw with pair of 2540s". So how much did it make on 2530's?

A direct comparison, not one engine versus another in different cars on different dynos. On the same engine dyno, same spec 2.6 litre engine with 2530's made 585 bhp and 2540's made 615 bhp. Way too much extra lag and poor response for 30 bhp.

We are about to do the same comparison on a 3.1 litre engine. Maybe the 2540's will be OK with an extra 500 cc's to spin them. But I'm not holding my breath.

Hi WazR32GTSt, take a look at www.gcg.com.au

Hope that helps

Luke C,

How much boost you running on the series 1 R33 turbo ??

Any Problems ??

Is there a difference between Series 1 and Series 2 R33 turbos ??

How much boost can you run on a R33 turbo ??

Will i need to remap my ECU on my R32 to accomodate the R33 turbo ??

Sorry it took me a while to get back to you. I have been running 12psi with the occasional run at 14psi. It has been on there for nearly a year and so far no problems.

Series 1 R33 turbos have a ceramic turbine wheel with a steel compressor wheel, series 2 have the same as an R34 ie. ceramic turbine, plastic compressor.

As for how much boost they can run, everybody seems to have a different opinion on this, and since I have never broken one I can't really say. Apparently the R34 and R33 S2 turbos can not run as much boost as the S1 R33 because of the plastic wheel.

On my car I would not run more than 15 psi on a S1 R33 turbo or more than 13psi on an R34 or R33 S2 turbo.

I have not yet remapped my ECU, but this is probably not a good idea. I would definately recomend putting it on a dyno to check your air/fuel ratios, in which case you may as well get it remapped and get the extra power.