SAU Community

Driving Lights Or Fog Lights

mr moo

just a quick question

i was stopped last night at an rbt and the officer who did the rbt said to me if it was foggy in reply i said no then asked why i had my fog lights on and told me he would give me a warning this time and if he see's me again he would fine me. i just turned them off as i couldn't be farked getting into an agument as they are driving lights not fog lights

this is what i would like to know if they can give you a $75 fine for having them on as i think these are driving lights not fog lights a difference

any help on this would be great as i would like to know where i stand next time this happens if you are allowed to drive with them on or not

thanks mitch

Yes they can fine you, keep them off. They're fcuking annoying and glarey and piss everyone else off when it hammers them in the eyes. Use them only in adverse weather as the rules state.

Edited by d0p3y

I have a set of little "driving lights" in my front bar.

I didn't have them on and when a cop was going over my bonnet he noticed them and said "mate you know you can't drive with these on don't you?" and I went "yeah, they're driving lights anyway" and he went "I don't give a shit mate, if I see them on you're gonna get a fine".

I didn't think you could get done for driving lights, I knew you could for fog lights. Weird.

I thought that fog lights had a yellow lens so that oncomming traffic could see you in the fog, and driving lights had a regular lens and could be used on the h/w

note: driving lights won't help in the fog as the beam of light reflects back towards the car.

hmm i was told that the yellow ones like i have in my stagea and that you see on silvias are there because (they are fog lights) so that a) people can see you and b) when you have them on in fog you dont get as much glare back as you do with your brighty whiteys. i didnt believe this, but i have since driven in a deep fog, and found it to be accurate.

Apparently they are illegal cos they are a distraction, like neon lights. Kinda like thouse electric things you kill bugs with apparently. people are so drawn to it theyd rather crash there cars than look away, apparently. thats how the cops see it, anyway.

Dammit if they are going to ban neons and foglights cos they are a distraction, they should ban girls in short skirts walking down teh side of teh road. i know which one ID be looking at.

hint - it wouldnt be the undercar neons.

It would be the hotties in short skirts.

Edited by qikstagea

hmm i was told that the yellow ones like i have in my stagea and that you see on silvias are there because (they are fog lights) so that a) people can see you and b) when you have them on in fog you dont get as much glare back as you do with your brighty whiteys. i didnt believe this, but i have since driven in a deep fog, and found it to be accurate.

Apparently they are illegal cos they are a distraction, like neon lights. Kinda like thouse electric things you kill bugs with apparently. people are so drawn to it theyd rather crash there cars than look away, apparently. thats how the cops see it, anyway.

Dammit if they are going to ban neons and foglights cos they are a distraction, they should ban girls in short skirts walking down teh side of teh road. i know which one ID be looking at.

yea they do cause accidents ay

You can't use fog lights unless there is fog or adverse weather( like very heavy rain). Fog light come in either yellow or clear lens and they point very low and to the side so their light doesn't blind you in fog.

You can't use driving lights or high beam in a built up area either so whatever they are you can get fined .

Why would you want foggies or driving lights in a well lit built up area ? The only thing you will achieve is blind others, cop a fine and maybe a defect notice for other stuff so just keep them off .

It simply means that you can only run low beam in any built up area otherwise to cops will fine you $75.

Out in the country you can run anything that you like except when there is oncomming traffic when again you have to go back to low beam.

A few of my mates have been stung for $75 for running foggies around town and it is just not worth it.

[quote name='qikstagea' date='28 Aug 2006, 10:4ow the cops see it, anyway.

isn't so many percent of male crashers caused by looking at hotties

iknow i've had some close ones

thanks for the imput. think i'll just leave them off

^^ I love drivin with them on (s2 foogies)

Just foglights and parkers.. No need for normal lights lol..

Car looks phat!!

But yes you can get fined for having fog lights on when theres no fog around!!

just say you accidently turned it on.. Coz turning foogies on also makes your parkers go on.. So say i didnt realise.

but then aagin cops have the final say..

Edited by siddr20

It's not "it looks good" Jimbo, it's "I'm a weaksauce in a POS but look at me".

Wanna get looked at, get a GTR (no foggies/poofter driving lights needed on them) or a sweet and sexy V35.

A "trend" originally started by WRX tools and followed by flogs with HSVs so you guys are in good company if you keep driving with them on. Soak up the fines I say.

Personally in the old rally car I'd just flip on the 150W Cibie Super Oscars to let them know that I was suitably unimpressed. Melts beach sand to glass at 300m :huh: Every 3rd spectator had a WRX 'cos it was "their" cool sport to watch, but too gutless to compete.

Who cares. I drive with my "foggies" on in my s2 r33 half the time. So many people do it in all sorts of cars being fined for it is a joke (and i have).

Maybe 1 out of every 100 cars has fog lights that are actually a distraction. I've even seen coppers with theirs on. What should be cracked down on are some of those 4WD's some of the power coming out of their lights, when they are coming the opposite say, literally makes me worry about hitting sometime. Almost shat myself a few times, but then again i do live in a rural area so i can appreciate the need to try and avoid hitting wild animals but then again thats what high beam is for.

Oh and dickheads putting HID's kits in without actually changing the enclosuer so the shit beam goes everywhere blinding everyone. Hate that.

Fined for foggies is 99% joke and just money raising, a way they can bring the money in pick on people and not go after the real crims causing shit.

There are plenty of other cars/4wds that drive around with those driving/fog lights on...yet the cops dont stop them. So why are they targetting imports in particular? Heaps of Aussie makes or Aussie imports are being driven with the driving lights on....if they gonna stop an import driver, why not stop every other mofo that drives with that on?

I wish more people would be fined for driving with fog lights on. Also those ridiculously bright rear fog lights that blind you when you're behind someone at the lights. f**king hate them ALL.

The fod lights on a S2 do shit all for forward illumination unless there is fog and you are doing 20km/h. In clear weather and higher speeds they are hopeless compared with the normal headlights.