SAU Community

What Does This Green Plug Do?

Angry Fist

hey guys, i can't believe i've had my car for almost a year now and i only JUST noticed that i have a little green plug up front that's unplugged!!

Everything in the car works ok, except for my boost gauge...but i'm confused as to wtf that little green thing is supposed to do?! is it simply the connector to make the boost gauge work? i didn't just want to plug it back in without knowing what it's supposed to do first...

post-23511-1157082815.jpg

well that's what i thought too but the temp gauge is working..

in my car, thats a sensor to switch the thermo fan to the higher speed

but you have a clutch fan, so im not really sure

someone with an r33 should be able to help you

I'm pretty sure that plug connects the thermo fan on the front of the radiator, which only comes on when coolant/engine hits a certain temp - nothing to do with the boost gauge I'm afraid.

Perhaps check to see if the MAP sensor for the boost gauge is also disconnected (little black box tucked away down the back of the engine bay in the driver-side corner)...should have an electrical connector and a vacuum hose connected.

It plugs into the other green plug, on the radiator!!!! That leads down to the thermo switch in the bottom tank that tells the A/C thermo fan (the one out front of the radiator) to switch on when the coolant starts to get a buit too hot.

Thats the connector for the thermo switch that turns the sub cooling fan on. Its an extra fan incase the engine is idling and the clutch fan isnt doing enough revolutions to create sufficient airflow to cool the engine coolant. I think it also comes on when you switch your AC on, but my AC has never worked so i cant back that up. But it would make sense as there is no way of electronically switching on a heat activated clutch fan!

Thermo fan man. That's where mine goes, and I have to unplug it to take the radiator out. If you've had the timing belt changed or something like that recently, then someone left it unplugged.

Does the A/C condenser core have a seperate fan to the one we're talking about???

man what's going on... in that pic you sent there's clearly another plug that it goes into... did you not see it??

lol, true true, we all saw it, but no one stated the obvious.

just plug it in, it's even colour coded. then whatever it does, it'll do it. done

Thermo fan man. That's where mine goes, and I have to unplug it to take the radiator out. If you've had the timing belt changed or something like that recently, then someone left it unplugged.

Does the A/C condenser core have a seperate fan to the one we're talking about???

:)

i think you're right on the money, i had the timing belt and water pump replaced a few months ago and they probably forgot to plug it back in..

and yes i was going to plug it back in but i just wasn't sure what it would've really done

thanks for the feed back guys!