SAU Community

GTR Stolen, Melbourne

GTSpec

Pritty Simple, They Ask to much to insure our cars. Plus they are allways getting stolen, so why would the insurance be cheap.

Im 18 and Just car Wanted $3000 to insure my R33 GTS, Farkin bullshit i say

No, they don't ask too much to insure our cars - we bring it unto ourselves.

Our cars are cheap japanese cars that are easy to steal.

Compounded with the fact that 11tybillion dickheads own them and keep binning them into trees, bus shelters, etc, the premiums are high.

Compounded by the fact that a 18 year old is statistically proven to be more of a crash risk than a 35 year old, and these are the guys getting a hold of the cars.

Sorry to hear that you had the car nicked, but if you know that these cars are a high risk, the cost of insurance should be included in the purchase price.

If you don't have insurance, it's your own fault.

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Oh man, I feel for you, my car got stolen the other week - like you I had no insurance and no alarm due to factors outside my control. I got mine back luckily, I hope yours returns intact, I live in tas, but I will keep an eye out regardless for anything I find that might be yours, im still watching out for my sub and amp to come up on ebay...

i still dont get why ppl dont get insurance.

if you cant afford that, you cant afford the car.simple.

agreed... sorry to hear about your loss..

The first thing i do before even buying a car is suss out the insurance.. followed by installing an alarm..

No, im not made of money.. but insurance + alarm is alot less expensive than someone stealing my car.

Current insurance is $1373 on a 97 R33 Gtst.. covered for $18000, all mods listed

Sorry to hear mate.

If you get it back - buy an alarm. Get some form of insurance and learn the lesson.

To everyone else who doesn't need an alarm and insurance because their circumstances are special or different, you're dreaming and your car will get stolen like this poor guy's.

by the way, it is sad to see another gtr stolen.

not having a dig at anyone. just the first thing when i buy a car is to get insurance. no matter what. if i cant affored it, i wont buy the car.

your not helping... he knows he should have had insurance so stop reminding him!

I will keep a look out... is there any chance they knew what was under the hood before they stole it? I mean less of a chance of them stealing a stock looking 17yr old car but what if they knew it had a 20 grand engine package? who knows your car etc... its a longshot but worth having a think about...

Insurance depends alot on your age and driving history i think. I have insurance through Just Car Insurance. I have a R33 GTST and it cost me about $1100 for full comp cover. I am 22 at the moment. Also i have never had an accident or any claims ("touches wood"). Excess is quite high though. I am still farked if i hit something. have to fork out for all these excesses, like $1800 or so i think.

dude i said an alarm with a pager...

It doesn't take long for someone (who knows what they're doing) to steal a car.

A pager might be fine if you're sitting at home 20 paces away from the car, but in most instances the car would be gone before you could get back to it, providing that the chosen method of theft even sets the alarm off.

That won't help if they stick it on the back of a truck

This old chestnut. True, an alarm unit won't help if they have a truck, but not many thieves have a flatbed truck.

I often read things like "if they really want your car, they'll get it".

However, this completely ignores the other side of the economy of security: if you really want to protect your car, you can. Who would be able to steal my car if it's locked in a safe at a bank surrounded by barbed wire, a minefield, snipers and a SWAT team? No one, and certainly not a thief with just a flatbed truck.

But clearly this approach sacrifices freedom for security, for I would be unable to reasonably drive my car under such conditions.

So the question becomes, how far are you willing to go? Where will your economy of protection reach equilibrium? I would argue that an alarm and a decent immobilisation unit constitute an acceptable level of security without unduly impinging on my freedom to use the vehicle: in essence, these are costs that I am willing to bear. The same goes for a steering wheel lock.

Some people go so far as to avoid driving their vehicles. I am unwilling to pay such a high price (that is, to deny myself not only the benefit of opportunity investment on the value of the car, but also the intangible benefit of owning it in the first place). I am also not willing to let the lowest common denominator dictate what I can and cannot do with my car.

It doesn't take long for someone (who knows what they're doing) to steal a car.

A pager might be fine if you're sitting at home 20 paces away from the car, but in most instances the car would be gone before you could get back to it, providing that the chosen method of theft even sets the alarm off.

so u reckon the theif could hotwire it and put it on a truck in no time?

There are reasons why I have been waiting until my 30's to get a High Performance import - Insurance is one of them, experience is another, enough income to afford to drive the thing and put petrol in it another.....

Well if the pager only works for 20 paces i wouldn't see the point of having it. I've got a moderate one and it has a 3km radius. Soo must be huge paces :teehee: However I incorporate a steering lock everytime, the only time my car ever got stolen (not the skyline thankfully) was the one day i didn't put the Steering Lock in the car.

Another idea would to (once the car is found and hopefully one), would to park in such a way that it takes time to get out. Another reason for this is that people can't bring tray top trucks behind or infront of them.

Hope the car is found soon :(

Edited by DC_GTST