SAU Community

GTR Stolen, Melbourne

GTSpec

If you want to know just how fast your car be gone - with or without an alarm, talk to someone who installs them for a living.

I was looking at a roughly $600 alarm, 3 point immobilisation.

I commented that there is nothing that can truly make your car "unstealable", and he agreed - admitting that to a good thief, even with the best install he could do (4 - 6 hours), it would only hold him up 15 mins before he would drive your car away.

Chris Rogers will probably echo similar statements.

And failing that, there is always "on the back of a truck", which takes all of about 5 minutes if you're quick.

It is about deterence, you need to come to a balance as to what you can live with day to day (why i don't just take my ECU out) and the lengths you will go to deter people from stealing your car.

And yes, the cost insurance is mostly driven thanks to anyone and everyone under the age of 25, and the inordinate amount of fraudulent claims that are filled every day.

All that said - My car has a 2 point alarm system (wired through the ECU power in - so effectively if any point is breached, the ecu has no power - no ecu = no go), with a rolling pager code, as well as being comprehensively insured.

Edited by nsanity

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

veryy unlucky mate

hope they find it with the culprites locked inside with a bat up there a$$

sorry to hear the loss of a GTR especially,

will keep a look out here in syd, just incase something comes this way...

yehh alarm,immobiliser, insurance all required

im getting a quick release for my steering wheel lol

so i can take the wheel with me, (obviously only in certain locations)

its just another way to deter theifs and other scumbags

good luck mate

hope it all goes well for ya

If you want to know just how fast your car be gone - with or without an alarm, talk to someone who installs them for a living.

I was looking at a roughly $600 alarm, 3 point immobilisation.

I commented that there is nothing that can truly make your car "unstealable", and he agreed - admitting that to a good thief, even with the best install he could do (4 - 6 hours), it would only hold him up 15 mins before he would drive your car away.

Chris Rogers will probably echo similar statements.

And failing that, there is always "on the back of a truck", which takes all of about 5 minutes if you're quick.

It is about deterence, you need to come to a balance as to what you can live with day to day (why i don't just take my ECU out) and the lengths you will go to deter people from stealing your car.

And yes, the cost insurance is mostly driven thanks to anyone and everyone under the age of 25, and the inordinate amount of fraudulent claims that are filled every day.

All that said - My car has a 2 point alarm system (wired through the ECU power in - so effectively if any point is breached, the ecu has no power - no ecu = no go), with a rolling pager code, as well as being comprehensively insured.

True about the 'unstealable fact'. Last time i just removed a few fuses and made sure i parked on an angle so trucks can't get infront/behind. But I've had a car before stolen, the only time never had the club-lock in it (the one and only night). Got the pager thing also, but it's being installed within next couple of days (via myself).

I think alot of you guys have to realise how bad it would feel for the poor guy having his car stolen. I have the same car and i would be in tears! Go easy on him its a bit too late for 'you shoulda done this, and you shoulda had that'. Really sorry to hear about it mate. Hope things work out for the best :P Good luck.

Deren

I think alot of you guys have to realise how bad it would feel for the poor guy having his car stolen. I have the same car and i would be in tears! Go easy on him its a bit too late for 'you shoulda done this, and you shoulda had that'. Really sorry to hear about it mate. Hope things work out for the best :P Good luck.

Deren

I feel for the guy, i do - however i also know he has learnt his lesson - he will take adequate precautions to something like this happening again.

some lessons are hard.

man......we all in the same boat (or should i say skyline BAHAHHAHAHA i crack my self up :( ) NEHOOO all we sayin is that maybe he learned something.

also on a note....i agree with the posts up above....no car is un breakable.....alarms are suppose to make cars harder to get in....anyone can break into a car and ignore the sounds....the sounds are to scare em away....and so on...

in the end.....make sure u have insurence....and a decent alarm.......u never know that might make the difference from...no car.....and a car

my 2c

maybe he learned something.

Hopefully you learned something too.

lol at "a good 10 to 15 minutes to steal a car"

I couldn't even begin to count the amount of times that people "only left it for 5 minutes and when i came back it was gone".

Assuming that your car is safe simply because you're within 10 minutes walking distance is rather silly.

and u need a alarm....cuz u never know some couple might step out side to have some alone time and they see ur car lightin up like its new years....the theif aint gonna stick around.......then again it helps if u know the community.....

^also very ill informed.

I've tested this one first hand.

People DO NOT pay attention to car alarms.

If anything, people are more likely to NOT look in the direction of the alarm, out of fear that they will see someone or something that which could cause hassles for them somewhere down the line.

If you see/hear someones alarm going off, are you going to walk over and ask the person who has set the alarm off if they own the car or if they are stealing it?

If you don't ask the person, how do you know they're stealing it?

If you report it as a theft in progress without getting the facts first, and it turns out to be the owner who set the alarm off, it's a big waste of Police effort/resources/time, and you could possibly be charged with providing misleading information.

On the other hand, if the vehicle IS being stolen, and you confront the person asking if they're the owner, there's a good chance you'll get your skull caved in.

My skull is more important to me than someone elses car. :happy:

Hopefully you learned something too.

lol at "a good 10 to 15 minutes to steal a car"

I said with a very complex alarm, and a very complex install - and this was to drive away with your car, not put it on a forklift/truck.

I couldn't even begin to count the amount of times that people "only left it for 5 minutes and when i came back it was gone".

Assuming that your car is safe simply because you're within 10 minutes walking distance is rather silly.

^also very ill informed.

Agreed

I've tested this one first hand.

People DO NOT pay attention to car alarms.

If anything, people are more likely to NOT look in the direction of the alarm, out of fear that they will see someone or something that which could cause hassles for them somewhere down the line.

If you see/hear someones alarm going off, are you going to walk over and ask the person who has set the alarm off if they own the car or if they are stealing it?

If you don't ask the person, how do you know they're stealing it?

If you report it as a theft in progress without getting the facts first, and it turns out to be the owner who set the alarm off, it's a big waste of Police effort/resources/time, and you could possibly be charged with providing misleading information.

On the other hand, if the vehicle IS being stolen, and you confront the person asking if they're the owner, there's a good chance you'll get your skull caved in.

My skull is more important to me than someone elses car. :laugh:

Alarms are a deterance - nothing more, they will not stop a professional determined thief - ever.

The ultimate in car security is to be in a niche.

1. You want a car that has basic enough security to keep out joyriders - most basic immobilisers do this.

2. But you also want a car that isn't valuable enough for the professionals to bother with it.

3. You also don't ever want to put yourself in a position where a professional want your car because of something you or it did to him (i.e vendetta theft).

Sadly GTR's do not fit the 2nd criteria. They are valuable and they are worth stealing.

At the end of the day, like i said, its a compromise between living with your car's security and keeping it safe, how far will you go? Will you take your ECU with you? will you take your Steering wheel with you? Will you bolt your car to the ground?

id love to see someone steal my car.

with all 4 wheels locked

fronts turned towards curb with no steering (even if cars on/running, which is hard with no fuel or ignition)

no fuel

no igniton

no accesories (least oftheir worries but still)

then:

an imobilizer (with 3 function? maybe 2? fuel and igniton again?)

an alarm

sure, it might not take them long to work out how to get a wheel or too unlocked some steering back etc, but its going to take them long enough to get very shitty.

with all 4 wheels locked

fronts turned towards curb with no steering (even if cars on/running, which is hard with no fuel or ignition)

no fuel

no igniton

then:

an alarm

sure, it might not take them long to work out how to get a wheel or too unlocked some steering back etc, but its going to take them long enough to get very shitty.

I bring my Truck and Forklift.

I pick your car up, put it on my truck and drive my truck away.

The End.

thats what im getting at though, there not going to bring a forklift, and lift it onto a truck, if they try and flat bed it, its gonna be an absolute bitch to get on.

yea true, i too would rather it gone thatn destroyed in drive way. but meh.

all they meant to be is deterants.

with all 4 wheels locked

no fuel

no igniton

then:

an alarm

the question is who in their right mind would want to steal a 99 magna anyway? that is the best theft prevention, drive a shitty car.

the question is who in their right mind would want to steal a 99 magna anyway? that is the best theft prevention, drive a shitty car.

yea should have rephrased that too my brothers car, but hes overseas and its here so :) lol

and the magna would be faster than all of the non turbos on here and fair few of the stock turbos, so not like you can give it shit.