SAU Community

Any Ideas Whats Wrong? =/

The Milf Guy

I have no idea whats wrong, tried to go to the gym this morning but the car wont start.

It cranks over and the engine starts then cuts out straight away.

Need a lot more info.

First. Is it out of petrol?

Second, what type of car is it? what mods do you have? When was it last serviced? Does it make any noises when you try to crank it over? Do you need to pump the gas to start it? What have you tried already to get it started? Are you using any fuel additives?

Otherwise it's like a doctor trying to diagnose an illness over the phone when a patient says "I've got a headache" It could be just about anything.

Ok where to start, full tank of petrol, no additives, BP ultimate, only had the car for 2months, last week changed the oil, no out of the ordinary noises, smells when starting, cranks over like usual, engine fires up for a few rpm then shuts off.

I have v/basic mods cept this thing called a billion VFC (variable fan controller) come to think of it, that was the last thing i was mucking around with last night. i turned it on and managed to get into the change settings part while driving, i set something then decided i had no idea what it does so i decided to turn it off by pulling out the cord that connects it (no on/off switch)

If i reflashed the cpu would that fix it?

well its fixed for now, nrma came and started it, he had no idea as well, just cranked it pumped some fuel in and it kinda spluttered to life, it misfired a bit at the start then ran ok. Weird...

Hope all is alright. could it be a blocked fuel line? or fuel pump?

The nrma guy said something bout maybe some moisture on the circuits or in the afm...but the engine bay is dry despite the non stop rain.

any other insights would be greatly appreciated

I'd say AFM man. Similar thing happened with a mates car.

I came round, unplugged the AFM, then started it with 1/4 throttle down. It was enough to limp it back to his place until he changed the AFM.

Same thing though... it'd start, for 1-2 seconds, then die.

I'd say AFM man. Similar thing happened with a mates car.

I came round, unplugged the AFM, then started it with 1/4 throttle down. It was enough to limp it back to his place until he changed the AFM.

Same thing though... it'd start, for 1-2 seconds, then die.

hmmm...wouldnt be terrible if it was the afm... thats covered by the warranty.

What i also noticed is that on cold starts it doesnt idle at a higher rpm anymore. Would that be an indication of something?

I beleive the cold-start revs is governed by the IACV? Idle Air Control Valve... although i've seen people mention cleaning the AAC valve is the go.

AFM shouldn't affect the idle when cold I don't think... but funnily enough, when my mate changed his AFM, the car idled at around 2000rpm no matter what. He took it in for a service, and the mechanic adjusted a few things (AAC valve I think), and now it's perfect.

I beleive the cold-start revs is governed by the IACV? Idle Air Control Valve... although i've seen people mention cleaning the AAC valve is the go.

AFM shouldn't affect the idle when cold I don't think... but funnily enough, when my mate changed his AFM, the car idled at around 2000rpm no matter what. He took it in for a service, and the mechanic adjusted a few things (AAC valve I think), and now it's perfect.

Was just gonna post about this actually, was checking the r33 manual diagnosis bit and it asks me to check the AAC valve, problem is I have no idea where that is. The manual isnt specific, unless im blind...

Ermm.. from memory it's somewhere up the back of the inlet manifold. Near the throttle body.

Do some searching, cause someone wrote up a tutorial on how to do it. (in the tutorials area)