SAU Community

Computer

doof

hi guys,

I am looking at puttin a pc in my skyline, and a touch screen in the centre, so i can access all my fully sick music in a touch of a button, now, ive just come across one problem, how do i connect my 2 12 inch subs and speekers to my new p.c..??? is there like an adaptor...or like what do i do with my amp and shit...

thanks in advance

Use the stereo output of the computer and plug them into the amp or aux input of the head unit, if you have one, using stereo to rca adapters.

it depends if you want to play music or have the full 5.1 available from dvd sound etc. basically if you want to get rid of the head unit and just use the pc for music you will need:

a pc

a power inverter

a touch screen vga monitor

a 5.1 channel sound processor like the audiobahn add15t

a 4 channel amp

a monoblock amp

speakers & sub etc.

for the pc, you will need a usb 5.1 output device (about 50 bucks). plug the audio out from the device into the add15t, then the add15t has outputs for each channel. these go to the amps, which then power the speakers; it is not possible to have speakers powered by a soundcard.

alternatively, you could just use an rcs plug to go from the pc to your head unit as jantolis said...

mp3car forums is the place to look everything you could possible ever want to know about car pc's is there.

but in all honesty if your stumpped by this then i really think you should reconsider doing this as it gets alot harder.

there are alot of ways to do this kind of setup the one listed above is prob one of the worst ways to do things IMHO (simalar to how mine was before)

http://www.tygarbyte.com/carmp3.html

I cheated.... but a broken laptop works fine for me....

CAR MP3 PLAYER

Well I always wanted to play mp3 on my head unit. There is nothing wrong with it - it still works fine and I paid over $600 for it when I first puchased it, but I just wanted mp3 on it. Well I have complete this project and can be viewed here.

skylinea.JPG

So with a little research with my friend google. My head unit was a Sony and it also had the option to add an additional MD unit. If you were not as lucky as me to have a audio input in the front of your head unit or your head unit does not support it. There are other add ons out there that can ease your burden without having to dish out money for another head unit, but unfortunetly I lost the link. I ended up getting the Sony XA300, which connects to the head unit to enable auxillary audio inputs. Well it would have been cheaper getting another head unit but its princibles, i got the XA300 of Amazon. Just a note i couldnt get the unit ordered becuase I lived in Australia and had to get a good friend from America to onforward it to me. Just get them to wrap it and send it as a present to yourserlf as you wont get taxed.

xa300.jpg

Useful link. How to install a head unit in a r33

Now I then wanted to control my mp3 via the touch screen as having a keyboard or numpad was just too inconenient. I ended up getting the DL0701A unit of ebay for around $400 with a $50 postage. Which was the cheapest I could find, with the Liliput unit being some $150-200 more coming from the same company.

before.jpg

If you wanted it cheap- then you have to order it off the company that makes them. Shenzhen Delong Electronic Co.,Ltd The only problem was that you need to order a minimun of 100 units. I however did not have the funds to do so nor the patience to wait for the shipment, but if you want a a group buy and are already and importer, then it may be well worth it. Pricelist when I inquired in Nov 2005.

touchscreenout.jpg

http://www.tygarbyte.com/images/carmp3imag...ndlcdscreen.jpg

To play the mp3 I manage to score myself a IBM Thinkpad A51e. Thankfully the company that I work for wrote one off, as they busted the screen and I got qouted $1100 to get a replacement screen while the latop itself only cost $1400. Go figure.

laptop1.jpg

Great screen saver.

laptopscreen.jpg

So I ended up removing the screen and placing the laptop or whats left of it behind the passenger seat. I also plug in a tiny usb keyboard to make life configuring it also easier.

laptop.jpg

It was just a matter of hooking everything up now. Powering the laptop constably I just used a 12v to 240v Inerter that runs of the cigarette plug. I did have a problem installing the touch screen driver, the driver that came with it was the same on the website. You just have to install it in the right sequence when running the self install program. I thought that XP was the problem so I ended up putting MS 2000 back on it.

touchscreen1.jpg

touchscreen2.jpg

touchscreen3.jpg

The software I ended up using was Media Engine, but there are others to choose from. You can find a list of it at the MP3CAR forums.

I have installed it and everything works, non-stop music from Sydney to Melbourne and back. The only thing that I dont like about it is the bootup time that windows takes to load and also when the computer goes into standby, it loses the touch screen functionality. So I dont usually use it on short trips to the shops.

The touch screen doesnt interfere with Driving, I have set it up so to skip a track you just touch the screen with out taking your eyes of the road.

The Touch screen unit also has 2 AV inputs, I plan to install two camera to the car and hopefully if the picture quality is good enough caputure it while taking a sunday drive through the Royal National Park at 1 am in the mornings, or to help with reverse parking at night as my windows are really dark and it is a pain sometimes.

hi guys,

I am looking at puttin a pc in my skyline, and a touch screen in the centre, so i can access all my fully sick music in a touch of a button, now, ive just come across one problem, how do i connect my 2 12 inch subs and speekers to my new p.c..??? is there like an adaptor...or like what do i do with my amp and shit...

thanks in advance

Setup your system like nornal stereo install, add the PC as a Aux input - ie your head unit treats the computer as a CD Changer / MD stacker etc.

PS dont waste your money on a FM transmitter kit - they have lots of static and sound quality isnt that good. Try and get a direct input into your head unit.

if you run a computer off a power inverter, what happens if the car is started or switched off? does the computer restart?

trying to get more info on the opus power supply with startup/shutdown controller but don't know if all the mods i want on my computer the power supply can handle..

if you run a computer off a power inverter, what happens if the car is started or switched off? does the computer restart?

trying to get more info on the opus power supply with startup/shutdown controller but don't know if all the mods i want on my computer the power supply can handle..

i use a small Opus (90w) on my carpc (http://www.skylinesaustralia.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=129649&hl=carpc). What do you need to know? It seems to have a fairly honest power rating, cause i can power all this stuff from 90W:

- 5" LCD screen

- EPIA 1GHZ CPU/mobo

- 256MB ram

- laptop DVD drive

- laptop HDD

- USB wifi stick

- USB GPS mouse

- USB webcam

- USB thumball

yes, thats the shit thing about inverters. they do provide more power though which some cpu's + devices require. but generaly the startup/shutdown's are the preferred option as they can go into hibernate etc when ur at a petrol station...can tell it to power off after 5 min of no power source etc.

u need to calculate how much power will be used by ur cpu + other devices incorporated.

some cpu's wont be able to operate on something like the 150w opus etc. so u need to be careful and look it up.

ill provide a link if u need.