SAU Community

Cv'd Half-shafts In The C210

After reading through some of the C210 posts i was thinking of swapping out my UNI'd half-shafts for CV'd ones, I have a complete 1985 4-Door R30 Skyline to pick at,

Is it possible to just swap over the rear struts, swing arms and half-shafts but leave the diff in place - I just would prefer not to have to remove the diff from my C210, as removing diff's isnt all its cracked up to be :-),

I was thinking i would probably not have to many problems bolting in the swing arms and struts from the R30, its just if the bolt pattern was changed on the half-shafts (ie...... for UNI's 4 bolts were used and for CV's 6 bolts were used) i made need to swap over the 180 diffs aswell,

Anyone know?

The geometry in the r30 is more advanced than the C210, so bolting in half of the suspension components isn't a great idea. The only way to do it to drop the rear cross member out, semi trailing arms and all.

you can swap the shocks/springs or not, they are interchangeable either way.

That should help,

Jason

What effect does dropping the entire rear suspension from the R30 and slapping it into the C210 do?

Is there any castor/camber effects (i assume thats what you would call it on the rear wheels),

Do i increase or decrease the track?

Another query - i have read through these forums and noted that people have said that R30 front struts will bolt straight into the C210,

Why is this prefered?

Are the struts different?

Are the brakes bigger? (looking at DBA they both seem to use a solid rotor expect the FJ20 version of the R30),

Are the front and rear shocks interchangeable from an R30 to a C210?

Now onto the steering stuff,

I have an R30 and a C210 - both have power steering, the C210's box is mc-f#cking-massive in comparision to the R30 box, does anyone know if its a straight bolt-in prospect from one model to the other?

Has any converted Rack'n'Pinion into a C210? as in a bolt-in???

Not 100% sure but don't C210's have Chapman Strut rear ends like a 240/260Z ? If so the DR30 semi trailing arm IRS won't fit . Off the top of my head DR30's had the shortest large diametre R200 CV half shafts so worth a look . The challenge will be getting them to bolt up to the C210's inner axle flanges ie not the diff end the other end . Need to see which axle bits (ie the bits supported by the wheel bearings) are available . Maybe some of the DR bits wil mix and match . Talk to Stu at SWR , they live and breath Z's .

Cheers A .

Not 100% sure but don't C210's have Chapman Strut rear ends like a 240/260Z ? If so the DR30 semi trailing arm IRS won't fit .

Nah mate, the only cars ive ever seen with Chapman struts are Lotus's and Zeds - the Skyline has the same rear suspension setup as an R30, same as a 280zx it looks like as well,

I have a 1985 R30 Sedan and a 1978 C210 Sedan - the track is different on them, its about 20mm different from tyre centres, the R30's rear end is wider,

• 1 month later...

not quite DR30 stuff, but i had a cv conversion just installed by SWR into a C110 skyline..

i used:

late 260Z stub axles

custom adaptor plate between stub axle and half shaft

280ZX turbo half shafts (4 bolt)

R200 Differential.

i got the stub axles and half shafts from Z shop in SA, but i wouldn't bother in future.. they sent me half of the wrong parts and i ended up having to buy the right parts again..

it all fitted, though the stub axles had to be machined to fit the 240k. it is very very tight, but it works! it probably wouldn't be so tight if i went with the SWR adaptor, but i went with one i already sourced (intended for a 260z conversion)

pictures?...

http://www.project240k.com/images/displayi...m=12&pos=10

Abit off topic, sorry tony1981...

YO880, are they konig rewinds on ya 240k? If so, how much, where from and what do they weigh?

Cheers

nope, they are Watanabe RS-8's in magnesium colour with polished lip, and cost around $2500.. no idea what they weight.. but 2/10's of bugger all!

http://users.tpg.com.au/tpot/RSWatanabeProducts.htm

email Miki, he is a very good man to deal with! but it is best to know exactly what size, offset, pcd etc. you need.