SAU Community

Interesting Bathurst Info.

mad082

is your GTR basically a silhouette machine with a spaceframe chassis squeezed inside the monocouque body and everything purpose built for the racecar, or is it a production car with some tweaking? production block, gearbox, diffs, suspension design etc???

my point is that for all those advantages, 1 second per km faster than a 1992 GTR that was knobbled to within an inch of its life is nothing to brag about.

my fastest GTR is modded to the point of not much left to do - Garage Saurus demo car in Japan at one stage -2.8L N1 block with all the fruit- OS Gikon box- Penske shocks, carbon doors/front gaurds/bonnet/wing blah blah etc etc- anyway whatever-its stiil not as quick as some of the newer better stuff around if they were modded to this level-the shortcomings of the original design (R32 it was designed as a 4 door family mobile originally remember way back in 1988) show through. from the factory they are too fkn heavy/woeful aero/sht house brakes and now 14 years on the weakness of the RB26 is ordinary (that strange knocking you are now hearing is bearings spinning in RB26's all over Oz and in Japan ha ha)-Toyota 1J and 2 J are a way better engine there.

Like I said I enjoy mine buy Ill never be a guy who says to his dying day they are the greatest cause they are last decade's top 5 and in 2006 that means nothing really-Id hate for the GTR passionate guys here to start to sound like the old fart Holden/Ford wankers at bathurst- "like oh yeah the 1969 GTS Monaro was the greatest" kinda sht

Edited by gtr660hp

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Like I said I enjoy mine buy Ill never be a guy who says to his dying day they are the greatest cause they are last decade's top 5 and in 2006 that means nothing really

you're right. in 2006 there is nothing better than pushrod 2 valve engines. that's the pinacle of touring car racing in this decade!

maybe there's a reason everything else is last decade's top 5??? see if you can work it out for yourself... another great comparison!

I haven't said they are the greatest car ever. But they were definitely the best Group A touring car - which is what this thread is about - Group A and the Skyline's Bathurst history.

You'll notice the Carrera Cup Porsche's are not touring cars. You'll also notice no-one makes them run 1500kg minimum weight. I doubt they'd be quite so impressive then, what do you reckon? anyway, they only qualified with a best of 2.11.1769. These wonderful sports cars built 13 years later are only about a second quicker than an old sedan POS. Yeah the GTRs are outdated, yesterday's heros. You're right they're slugs compared with today's cars.

I stand corrected!

Carrera Cups not Touring Cars? You would have to say they are pretty close.

You cant compare V8 Supercars to R32 Grp A cars. Its silly. For starters V8 Supercars are a very strictly controlled class. Sure they are nothing like road cars, but they run on a small control tyre. Given 19” wheels and tyre suppliers cpmpeting against one another they would be a lot quicker. Just as the compression ratio and rev limit, hell give them the all alloy Covette GT engines and sequential 6 spds, well combined with the more adequate rubber they would be a lot quicker. Hell they don’t need to be 7L. Just give them the 8,500rpm rev limit and let them play with a bit more compression. Its not fun when the cars are bullet proof and the drivers don’t have to pace the car, with the ability of pushing on to catch the car up the road….with the risk of braking.

Anyway, stupid argument to compare the two. Too much different. But a better comparision is how the Japanese GT cars go against the European GT cars. The Japanese GT cars dotn comply with FIA regs so cant really even compare them.

The R32 was the best Grp A car. Im not saying it isn’t. When my numbers come up and I can afford to have a good example, I will have one. I even have the paltes for it :( But lets not run around sounding like the wing buts who love their “insert car here” who are blinded by their love of the marque :P

The Gt-R, being one of the last of the Group A cars, can reasonably be expected to be one of the best. People do tend to forget how extreme most of the homolgation specials looked when released. Hell people were having seizures over the VL Walkinshaw Commode & other than the aero that had bugger all going for it.

you're right. in 2006 there is nothing better than pushrod 2 valve engines. that's the pinacle of touring car racing in this decade!

maybe there's a reason everything else is last decade's top 5??? see if you can work it out for yourself... another great comparison!

I haven't said they are the greatest car ever. But they were definitely the best Group A touring car - which is what this thread is about - Group A and the Skyline's Bathurst history.

You'll notice the Carrera Cup Porsche's are not touring cars. You'll also notice no-one makes them run 1500kg minimum weight. I doubt they'd be quite so impressive then, what do you reckon? anyway, they only qualified with a best of 2.11.1769. These wonderful sports cars built 13 years later are only about a second quicker than an old sedan POS. Yeah the GTRs are outdated, yesterday's heros. You're right they're slugs compared with today's cars.

I stand corrected!

Ok if you want to look at the best latest up to date car that can be directly related/compared to the good ol' GTR then have a close look and a drive(if ur lucky) of the new 997 Turbo- twin turbo awd Wunder Wagon :) we are going to do a comparo at QR soon with a stock (almost anyway 34GTR and the 996 Turbo last years model) it will be interesting for sure. Last monday we got a bog stock 997 Carrera S into the the 1:06:5 at Wakefield with the electronic drivers aids off( made 2 sec quicker with all that stuff turned off). It was the 2nd fastest on the day-the fastest was a 996 Turbo. Embarising when so called fast cars like 360 Ferrari and Merc SL55 etc were no where near the porkers times. There was a neat stockish R33 GTR( there too and it was 2nd slowest (1.10:2)-ooops

EDIT- forgot to mention in another comparo we did a at QR a Tommi Evo 6.5 was 2.2 secs secs quicker than a 34GTR (both with mild mods-exhaust etc)on the national circuit both on factory type road tyres

Edited by gtr660hp

Ok if you want to look at the best latest up to date car that can be directly related/compared to the good ol' GTR then have a close look and a drive(if ur lucky) of the new 997 Turbo- twin turbo awd Wunder Wagon :ninja: we are going to do a comparo at QR soon with a stock (almost anyway 34GTR and the 996 Turbo last years model) it will be interesting for sure. Last monday we got a bog stock 997 Carrera S into the the 1:06:5 at Wakefield with the electronic drivers aids off( made 2 sec quicker with all that stuff turned off). It was the 2nd fastest on the day-the fastest was a 996 Turbo. Embarising when so called fast cars like 360 Ferrari and Merc SL55 etc were no where near the porkers times. There was a neat stockish R33 GTR( there too and it was 2nd slowest (1.10:2)-ooops

EDIT- forgot to mention in another comparo we did a at QR a Tommi Evo 6.5 was 2.2 secs secs quicker than a 34GTR (both with mild mods-exhaust etc)on the national circuit both on factory type road tyres

So what, I was at Philip Island 3 weeks ago and our production STi was 4 seconds quicker than the fastest 997. Of course it was pissing down, but that doesn't matter. On the day all of the Porkas got destroyed by a "standard" Sti.

:ninja: cheers :ninja:

So what, I was at Philip Island 3 weeks ago and our production STi was 4 seconds quicker than the fastest 997. Of course it was pissing down, but that doesn't matter. On the day all of the Porkas got destroyed by a "standard" Sti.

:ninja: cheers :ninja:

Imagine what that stocko STi would do to a stocko 32GTR at Phillip Isl

That was actually my point-these newer weapons (Evo, STi,997 or whatever are the new kids on the block and a much smarter better base for a nice modded car than a 16 year old GTR-it sounds like many have been down that road

Edit having just said that Iv bought a 2001 V spec in Japan this morning for my next toy *smacks head against wall*

GTR was best Group A ever- no argument there

Edited by gtr660hp

Ok if you want to look at the best latest up to date car that can be directly related/compared to the good ol' GTR then have a close look and a drive(if ur lucky) of the new 997 Turbo- twin turbo awd Wunder Wagon :laugh: we are going to do a comparo at QR soon with a stock (almost anyway 34GTR and the 996 Turbo last years model) it will be interesting for sure. Last monday we got a bog stock 997 Carrera S into the the 1:06:5 at Wakefield with the electronic drivers aids off( made 2 sec quicker with all that stuff turned off). It was the 2nd fastest on the day-the fastest was a 996 Turbo. Embarising when so called fast cars like 360 Ferrari and Merc SL55 etc were no where near the porkers times. There was a neat stockish R33 GTR( there too and it was 2nd slowest (1.10:2)-ooops

ah, so now that you see the Carrera Cup cars are only just a touch faster than the old GT-R, you want to start comparing amatuer hour trackday results to 'prove' your point? my R32 GTR with only mods being crappy Jap colivers and an exhaust has done a 46.2 at Mt Cotton vs an experienced Porsche GT3 driver who's done a best of 46.9. it really doesn't prove anything. at any rate, you are comparing a sedan against $2-300,000 sports cars. its all meaningless. and we haven't even mentioned tyres each car was on, driving ability vs fear of puttng it in a wall etc...

No-one is saying the GTR is the greatest thing ever. this thread was all about the Group A GT-R Bathurst history until gtr660hp started comparing them to everything else:

Ha ha 2:13:820 pole time- Id forgotten that-a lot of peeps bag the V8SC's, but a 2:06 from Murphy in 2003 makes the old GTR look kinda slow and race pace last sunday was dipping into the 2:08's (when did the chase come on line-1987??)
cant hold a candle to the 2007 Carrera cup car( mate of mine has 2 and leaves me eating dust at the track )-they lap 2:11 at Bathurst which is awesome for a 3.6l NA 400hp car-still say it makes the GTR rather slow looking

I agreed that the 32GTR was the greatest Group A car ever...all I was doing was trying to give some balance and compare other cars (the evo only cost 30K-so i dont know where youi get 300K from ) to give an insight into the topic-all the bagging of the V8SC is fair enough on a Skyline site - and i agree whole heartily with most of the comments- hell I own 4 GTR's atm (plus 2 GTR tattoos LOL)so you are preaching to the converted-but in saying that I still get impressed by other car I drive that dont have a GTR badge on them

incorrecto

if u look at the footage the red flag was out b4 it crashed for a 2nd time

I still remeber being at the race when Jimmy richo gave the crowd a mouthful-as we walked out a Datto Stanza in the carpark was set on fire and some poor bastrd in a silver R31 got his car pelted with stubbies :laugh:

Edited by gtr660hp