SAU Community

Custom Colour Options For Factory Black Paint?

SS8_Gohan

sup guys'n'gals

fateful decision on workshop has been made, now just time for the action to start...

Getting a respray, keeping it factory black but the guy asked if i wanted to play around with the paint a bit? pearls etc...

Some options: black with..... orange, blue, silver, or purple pearl... Or just add some more metallic chips into the paint. The standard factory black doesn't seem too metallicy?

I've always liked the idea of black with a silver pearl, get that kinda carbon type thing going but he said it doesn't really show up much. I'm not going to spend an extra $300 for something not to show, plus it makes it harder to match if i need to do anything with the car in future..

thoughts anyone? and better yet, photographic examples of blacks with pearls??

cheers big ears

chinny

i have seafoam metalic chips and candy apple red sitting in my room whcih i was going to use to respray my VL in... i reckon candy apple red over the black would look better then green...

If you want a full spray go MATT BLACK.

Uber Tuff.

But if you are looking at custom colours, go and see Trevor Davis on Kitchen road in Dandenong. He's done some amazing paint jobs. The one on my bosses R33 GTR N1 is tops!

try and find a late model black STI to look at (i think it's '03), they have pretty cool black paint witrh a subtle gold pearl through it, which shows up really nicely in the sun light.

plus if you can get your hands on that paint/code you won't have problems down the track with matching the paint accurately.

goodluck.

Edited by R32gts-t

because i'm a nice guy... (not that you can really see it properly in the pictures but in the flesh it is quite striking)

pic 2 and the last one show it off the best, but it's a lot better in the flesh.

http://www.carsales.com.au/pls/carsales/&a...mp;total_rec=41

another one. (not sti but same colour, look at the bonnet)

http://www.carsales.com.au/pls/carsales/...mp;total_rec=41

Edited by R32gts-t

budget is fairly tight, so we'll see how it goes. I might just add more metallic chips. How much you get em for ni?

might pop down to subaru in mentone on the weeked and have a look at the black, sounds interesting :O

not sure about green though :/

is the nissan clear coat thing just a gimmick? does it really work and what $$ are we talking?

try and find a late model black STI to look at (i think it's '03), they have pretty cool black paint witrh a subtle gold pearl through it, which shows up really nicely in the sun light.

plus if you can get your hands on that paint/code you won't have problems down the track with matching the paint accurately.

goodluck.

That was the one I was thinking of. There is a very nice example in the rex club.

yeah, that is an option.

i started a thread about Matte black, turned out to be massive, and general consensus was no, unless you do a satin black, which is slightly glossy. Be a bitch to keep clean though, and i don't think i'm game enough to do it, only to find i don't like it :/

i still think you need metallic? i think... would a 0% paint job just be where someone hasn't ticked the 'metallic' option box on a new car??

You'll find that on many cars these days the only way to get a certain colour is to have it metallic.

It's another one of those cheeky money making things by the factory.

You can't tell me it costs anymore to spray a car metallic from the factory. I know it costs more for us to buy but we are consumers. A car factory wouldn't be paying a lot to get metallic paint.

Anywho. It's harder to keep a solid colour clean I would think as there's no metallic bits to reflect the light, hence dirt appears more and light marks would also show more.

If budget is tight keep the colour simple and get a good job done. AS soon as the colour becomes a ball ache to spray either the rpice goes through the roof or the wuality drops to maintain the quoted price.

But then again i coudl be very wrong....

I reckon this car looks nice as, the guy who owns it is on these forums but he's in the states can't remember the username though but he would be able to give you more info about the paint job.

post-14136-1158815473.jpg

post-14136-1158815491.jpg