SAU Community

Sold My Car To A Guy In Queensland What Do I Do To Transfer Ownership

The reg doesn't transfer interstate anyway. You take the plates off, go to Vicroads and cancel the reg. Write out a receipt for the guy in Qld, which includes the original Vic Reg # and the VIN. The Qld reg people should be able to check the history of the car from the national database using the VIN.

Edited by SteveL

The reg doesn't transfer interstate anyway. You take the plates off, go to Vicroads and cancel the reg. Write out a receipt for the guy in Qld, which includes the original Vic Reg # and the VIN. The Qld reg people should be able to check the history of the car from the national database using the VIN.

ok cool thanks heaps so if he wants to drive it at all he will have to get a permit off vic roads?

I did this last year.

As SteveL said you cancel the registration; hand in the plates. The buyer will then have to contact VIC roads and apply for a temp registration permit, which is purchase by the day. The can be arranged by him at any time and he will have to state the needed days for journey. When filling for form, which they fax to him, he will have to state the current garage address and his intended destination, the vehicles VIN & engine number and both your details.

From here he will be pulled over about 20 times in the north mid NSW stretch of the hwy from having no plates however if all paper work is in order he'll be sweet.